+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 months next week but....  (Read 1655 times)

pc

4 months next week but....
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
Next Tuesday marks 4 months post op LHBR. I had a post op check up last Thursday and was given the green light to ski. Yesterday, the next day, I spent the day skiing with my family, something that I had to give up last season as a result of my left hip. The first few ski runs I was extremely cautious and monitoring myself for any issues related to the LHBR. I was delighted to only feel a slight tightness in my lower back, which at 58 years of age is to be expected. As the day progressed, I pushed a little more and even tried some mogul skiing in the early afternoon. What brought a smile to my face was the ease that I had rotating my turns from the left side. I now realize how far that I had deteriorated with my range of motion from my previous locked up left hip. I have skied since the age of eight and didn't realize that my range of motion issues had progressed so far, until yesterday. I experienced a freedom in my turns as my mind imagined a finely tuned ball bearing on the left side. Compared to two years ago, my rotation and weighting and un-weighting was effortless. I expected more soreness after our day, but I was a more stiff than sore. I hobbled a little last night, but am ready to hit the slopes today. I haven't been able to ski two days consecutively for several years. I plan on taking some time before I take on really steep terrain as it makes no sense to injure my self. BUT I AM SKIING AGAIN WITHOUT  PAIN!!!

My doctor lifted all restrictions, but told me to proceed with caution. He asked about any aches and pain and I told him I that I experienced some soreness in the groin and tightness in the lower back. He said that those issues will resolve themselves during the first year. My recovery thus far has consisted mostly of daily walks ranging from 4 to 10 miles (depending on free time) and keeping my effort under 15 minute miles. And, stationary cycling any where from 45 to 60 minutes. I really have enjoyed my walks; experiencing the season changes. My dogs are in the best shape of their lives (do to our long walks) and nudge me to go for a walk even in blizzard conditions. We have taken a few slips and falls, but for the most part have enjoyed the elements.

Lastly, I wanted to pass on a Happy New Year to all and encourage anyone contemplating this procedure to resolve to have it done in 2011. There will be some aches and pains after the surgery and some days it may feel like you aren't making progress, but as you begin to go back to your life style of activities as I have, you will notice a freedom of pain and know that you made he right decision.

One last note to all skiers we have (Park City, Utah) over 100 inches of the "greatest snow on earth" waiting to be consumed. This year is an exceptional snow year thus far!  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:26:04 PM by pc »

einreb

Re: 4 months next week but....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
That's a lot of walking!  I suspect that it is a very positive factor in your rehab. 

I'm 'preparing' for my 2/16 surgery.  In addition to slip on shoes, I bought some running shoes :)
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

ABC2

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
Skiing at 4 months! Fantastic. And one of the things I  am really wanting to get back to. I'm not expecting to jump out of any helicopters again, but you have inspired me to up my walking. Had my resurfacing 5 weeks ago, so just maybe I'll get a bit of skiing in before the snow melts this year.
Andy

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
Hey PC,
Kudos to you for getting out and back on the slopes. What a great feeling that was for you. I waited 4 1/2 months to get back on my snowboard and was so stoked that all went well. By the way i was in Park City for two weeks working and while I was there it snowed and snowed the whole time I was there, so I know what your talking about with all that snow. I did go riding the last day we were there On Dec 22nd and it was deep. I found some shoulder deep stuff that was so fun. The one thing however it was a little heavy compared to what you guys are used to,but no complaints from me. By the way the hips worked fantastic in the deep stuff ;D ;D ;D

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

John C

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
Note to ABC2:
Don't be too quick to give up the helicopter skiing. I got out of the heli at nine months :D, and continue to go up to Canada for a week of heli every year, plus the occasional local heli trips around Sun Valley. I am a little more cautious about drops of much over ten feet or so, but most of the time the deep soft snow makes heli time easier on the hips than aggressive resort skiing. If you have solid powder skills, I would not hesitate to put some "Wiegele time" on your calendar after the first year.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
John, I've come to the conclusion that you're spoiled. Damm I'm jealous.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

ABC2

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Wow, John! That's seriously impressive.
Doubled my usual walking distance today!
Andy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal