+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snow and ice  (Read 2512 times)

littleb

Snow and ice
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
After the scare of falling a month ago on a rainy night all the snow and ice is keeping me inside. I am at 4+ months and finding I am getting stiff again with some actual pain that seems to be coming from the joint but is likely the capsule. Anyone else having this and how are you who are experiencing winter dealing with being stuck inside?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:06:44 PM by littleb »
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

stano

Re: Snow and ice
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
16 months post BHR, when it’s cold like the last few days in Arizona I can feel the metal in the hip, family thinks I'm nuts, but it makes me stiff and sore. The New Year has me documenting cold and hopefully soon the heat.

stano

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:05:55 PM »
Littleb,

I live in So. Cal. so i never had to deal with snow and ice, however I have read numerous posts about people in the cold driving to an indoor mall. There they walk and walk around inside the mall where it is heated.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

littleb

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
Thanks. I haven't been outside long enough to let the metal get cold. Sounds like a strange sensation. The mall sounds like a good idea as long as I leave my wallet at home. :)
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
The important thing in all of these discussions, if you are a recent hippy, PROTECT THAT HIP AT ALL COSTS!

Up to 6 months you have the most chance of a fermoral neck fracture.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

tedroberts

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
That was one bad thing about getting my bi-lat resurfacing done in Jan. in Minnesota - Below zero temps and lots of ice and snow.  First trip to the Warfin clinic was sub zero windy and icy.  I'm with Chuck, protect that new joint!  I really would have liked to have been able to go out in my neighborhood and walk a few blocks as I recovered but I ended up walking around my house (and going to PT).

I have never felt cold on my new joints and they have been tested at close to -20F.  But hey, everyone is different.

Ted Bi-Lat BHR 1-9-09  Dr. Nelson, Edina, MN 
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

John C

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
A few thoughts:
At 4 months, definitely make protecting your new joint a top priority.
I really liked Wayne's idea about finding an indoor mall to walk around in.
If you have to walk in snow and ice, I really recommend "Yak Trax" which are basically coiled metal, like car chains, that fit on the bottom of your shoes. They go on and off very easily, and will fit most any walking shoes. They give great traction in snow and ice, just be very careful walking on hard flooring, where they can be slippery. I wear these for our daily walks after skiing in a resort town, and they are great.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

littleb

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
Yak Trax sound interesting. We had a nice little warn spell and the roads again are pretty clear except for some black ice here and there. I am only going out during daylight hours so I can see it well. Possibly more snow this weekend. Better get my stuff done during the week.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

crash1992

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
Interesting, about the cold...  I moved to central Sweden from (Southern Canada)5 weeks after my resurfacing AND yes, they are having a record cold winter here.  I am now at 3 months and still get outside no problem.  I am just really careful and use my crutch with big a big spike cap over the rubber just to be safe.   I do not use an aid to walk indoors but do want that extra stability in the ice/snow.  I find if I am not moving my joint and I am cold it hurts a bit.  When outdoors I am moving so do not seem to have major problems.  Indoors when I am not moving around, I find a heating blanket is working best to ease pains a bit.  I still have to take pain meds about once or twice a week either if I over did it or if I was sitting too long in one position.  I guess keeping variation in activities works best for me.  I hope to start physio again soon as I feel it will help.  It has been difficult as I moved to a new country, and now getting new medical support in place and it being the holidays has been a challenge.
Thanks for you posts, nice to hear how others are dealing with the cold.

John C

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
Just to confirm that, once again, there is a lot of variety in our experiences, I have never experienced any reaction or sensations to cold in my new hip. This past week I went to work a number of mornings when it was around 10 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, and never felt anything in my hip in response to the cold, even though the rest of me sure felt it. I have been skiing a number of times in temperatures down to 20 below zero and lower, and never had any sensations of cold in the hip. I still get some twinges from exceptionally heavy activity, but cold has never been an issue.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »
I too have never experienced any pain in the cold post surgery...I am at 8 weeks post-op tomorrow. Pre-surgery the cold really affected my hip. Everyone is different...I have had no hip pain since surgery. All of my pain was in my leg after surgery and that seems to have gone away the last 4 weeks as I have healed.

littleb

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »
I came in yesterday from a cautious walk and started stamping the snow off my boots when it suddenly hit me that this was probably not a good idea. I cannot wait to be at 1 year when I can worry less.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat