+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many opinions did you get before doing surgery?  (Read 1952 times)

23109VC

How many opinions did you get before doing surgery?
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »
I had an HMO for most of my adult life.  I was healthy, never needed any real "serious" medical care, so I wasn't worried about having choices with regard to health care.  Once my hip started bothering me, I went to the doctors my HMO recommended.  They all have told me I need hip surgery.  I have seen two orthopedic surgeons recently - who have examined me and seen xrays / MRIs...  one does only THR but he is knowledgeable about what resurfacing is.  he was the firs tperson who told me about it.. he told me that he wouldn't want to do a THRon me b/c I was too young and he said to look into resurfacing, but that he wasn't trained to do it.  I was eventually refered to a doctor who did do it.  He ssaid the same basic stuff..that he recommened a hip resurfacing, although he had not done enough surgeries for me to want to use him. 

I had been researching on this website and saw all the info here and got some of the n ames of the experienced surgeons.  I ended up contacting Dr. Gross and have a surgeyr date setup.  I"m in the midst of doing all the "leg work" (sorry for the bad pun.. ) to get ready for the appointment.. tests, hotel, flights, etc etc.

I ended up switching insurance plans from my crummy HMO to a PPO.  now that I'm in a PPO, the number of doctors available to me is huge.  I live in CA and there are two guys very close to me with pretty good experience.  Dr. Ball in San Diego and Dr. Schmalzried in Los Angeles.  I never callled either of them.. but techincally, now that I have a PPO.. if I wanted to... I CAN just setup a consult, go see them, pay the fee, and pick their brain.

at the same time, I wonder how m uch of htis is just me and my "i have to research everything to death" personality.  before I bouht my last "toy" a DSLR camera, I must have spent 40 hours on the internet reading revies, watching youtube video reviews, checking them out at the store, before finally getting one...  (i got one that also shoots HD video and I"m going to do a video journal of me before/after ... keep watching for it in a few months)..

anywya...  am I smart to go see a couple of doctors..even if I really alrady decided on one.. and just see what they have to say.. or am I just beatin ga dead horse.  I know NONE of them are going tos ay "oh wait.. you don't need a hip resurfacing you j ust need physical therapy".. i know they are all going tos ay i need the surgery.  I just wonder if I would get a different set of info about what type of device I shoudl use, or something I haven't even though tof...

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Lopsided

Re: How many opinions did you get before doing surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:19 AM »
I would say that if you are going to have surgery you do as much research as possible.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »
You probably can't go wrong with Dr. Gross, but there is absolutely no reason not to get three or four more opinions.  You can also change your mind and switch doctors.  It is your body and you are the one who will have to live with the new implant.
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
Hi
Since you live in CA, it would be good to get a bit more input.  Easier than traveling far if you decide on Dr. Ball or Schmalzried.  Both are excellent hip resurfacing surgeons and there are many happy patient stories from both.  You could also think about Dr. Ure. Dr. Schmalzried is very conservative and sometimes will lean toward a THR than resurfacing for what he considers marginal cases.  Then you can get input from Dr. Ball or others.  If you want a resurfacing like most of us did, just find the most experinced surgeon that you like and go with it.  LIsten to that little voice inside you - it is usually correct.  Usually people have to travel, but if you are in CA you have good resources near you.  Also Dr. Gross uses the uncemented Biomet which many people love while others want a cemented device.  So you should continue to do your research until you feel at ease with your decision.  All of the above surgeons are very expeirnced.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

einreb

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
As a data point, I've talked with six different ortho docs over the last 5 years as I ramped up for this.  Gross, Rogerson and Bose were the 'big names'. 
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:32:48 AM »
Thanks.  I feel more comfortable going with someone with substantia experience, like Dr. Gross, or some of the others named here.  The thing about Dr. Gross is that he can do it enter and that does sound like a good way to do to.  There are no gruarantees with anything' but i am attracted to the idea that this method sounds like it may have the greatest chance of lasting a very long time...s. Ore maybe we will just be guinea pigs? :)

Im not a doc but the theory as to why uncemented is supposedly better seems to make sense to me.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

BrianROC

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
I had bi-lateral hip resurfacing four weeks ago Monday and Wednesday.  Prior to my surgery, I met with Dr. Schmalzried when we were back in SoCal visiting family.  I also had a phone consultation with Dr. Gross.  After speaking with both doctors, I felt either one would do a great job.  I decided on Dr Gross for the following reasons:  Dr Gross will do both hips in the same week.  Dr. Schmalzried wanted to wait 3-4 weeks between surgeries.   Dr. Gross is a bit more experienced than Dr. Schmalzried.  Finally, since I now live in NY instead of SoCal, travel to South Carolina for surgery was easier than SoCal. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear