+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: VAT Tax Refund  (Read 2300 times)

shorelocal

VAT Tax Refund
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I did a search and nothing surfaced.

I am a Canadian in need of a hip surgery and I am seriously considering having Dr. McMinn in the UK do the procedure.  I am curious if anyone from outside of the UK/EU has gone over to have Dr. McMinn perform the procedure, and if so, if anyone had any luck claiming back the VAT tax (now 20%) after returning home.  I know that many retail businesses offer this on goods sold to tourists, and I would hope that the same policy would apply to a non-resident/tourist having a surgical procedure performed in the UK.  I have sent emails to the UK Govt agency, but keep receiving responses related to business claims.  It would be great if this was available because a 20% savings would definitely help ease the sticker shock of having to cover the costs personally.

Thanks.
JT

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
Re: VAT Tax Refund
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:31 AM »
Even as a Brit, I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but what I do know is that you're unlikely to get much response from any Govt Agency here!
If, however, you ever need a brain transplant, one of their employees would be good donors as their brains are virtually unused.
Good luck in your quest.
Andy

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:08 AM »
I am not sure if their is VAT on medical treatment.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

shorelocal

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
I am not sure if their is VAT on medical treatment.

That's something I'll have to confirm with McMinn's office ... I guess I assumed there was VAT on everything :)

trumpetman

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
in the UK there are zero-rated VAT items: Food and Medicine are some of these.  Strangly Books qualify in Germany for the lower VAT, but I heard in the UK that they still charge VAT for them (haven't verified).

You may not get charged VAT for the Dr. or Hospital visit but any other equipment you need will mostly likely have the 20% VAT on it. You can apply to have this refunded when you leave the country at the airport. 
You will need to have the receipt(s) and the actual device/item you are exporting/taking with you to show the nice customs official.

There are booths or companies at the airport which specialize in getting you your money back, since often visitors don't have a local account.   look for TAX FREE centers. 

stephen (long time resident of Germany from the US).

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
wow! How exactly do they look at the metal work???
I had a fairly intimate search on my return from surgery going via Gatwick airport, but I think I'd draw the line at them dissecting down to find the device number!
Andy BC

shorelocal

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
Hey everyone ... I eventually received a proper response from the UK Govt agency:

Surgical procedures performed in the UK may incur VAT at the standard rate (now 20%).  You are not able to recover any VAT charged on surgery performed in the UK.

You should ensure that the surgery in question is not VAT exempt, and can ask the health institution concerned, with reference to Public Notice 701/31, Health institutions.

Our Public Notices can be accessed online by following these steps: www.hmrc.gov.uk >> Library (Quick links) >> Publications >> Notices, Information Sheets and other reference materials >> VAT >> All VAT Notices (numerical order)

If you have any further queries regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact the address shown above quoting our reference number.

Yours sincerely
Written Enquiries Officer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM