+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fading  (Read 4010 times)

Lopsided

Fading
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
It is not fading, it is breaking apart. The scar!

Four and a half months out, and all is going well. I am still gaining strength and mobility, and now favour my operated leg over the other side.

But the scar is not going as expected. Initially it faded from red to pink and was a neat curved line. Now it is breaking up and there are at least three distinct segments with about half an inch of healed skin between the ends of each.

What is going to happen? Will the scar break up more and disappear? I cannot see the resurfacing device inside, so the scar was my only trophy. If that goes, how will I be sure I remember which side was operated, or will I know I ever had surgery?

It seems to be worse than this. The three segments do not perfectly line up. They seem to be moving around. I don't want to end up with three separate scars on different parts of my cheek. They could move around further and break up into smaller parts. I could end up with dozens of tiny scars all moving around.

At least I can walk well.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Gino

Re: Fading
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
But how does your hip feel? And really, unless the thing gets infected, which it sounds like you're way past, then it's pretty much a cosmetic issue. I guess the question is who else would ever see it?

Me, if my scar ran all the way to my ankle in a zig zag I don't think I'd care because my hips now feel like new!!!

Maybe you can consult a plastic surgeon for an opinion? 

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Maybe you can consult a plastic surgeon for an opinion? 

Gino, I was actually being tongue in cheek (not the cheek that my scar is in though).

I am glad you replied to my post!

Gino

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
Ya got me!!  ;D

emichel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
Ha ha, yeah, it would be kinda weird if you had your tongue in that cheek.  Hope I don't get censored!  :-)   I am having hip replacement next week.  Well, I haven't been on here because have been trying to avoid the subject, but will post more about it soon.  I just had to reply to this because it was really hilarious, and I can use a laugh!  :D

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »
I recommend a tattoo to remember you scar.  Or maybe a picture of the device on your hip to remind you of that expensive piece of hardware you are carrying.   :) 

Use smiley faces to accentuate your sarcasm.  ;D
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
Or just carry a copy of the surgeon's invoice - that'll remind you!

Andy

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »
Or just carry a copy of the surgeon's invoice - that'll remind you!

Andy

Actually Andy, although I have said in other posts that the surgery entailed no pain, that is without considering the doctor's fee. The invoice, I do carry with me, and this helped me on one occasion last month when I had to pick my wife up at the airport:

I entered the airport, walked through the metal detector towards the girl with the wand. She was a slim attractive girl in a skirt suit. As I passed through the metal detector, the alarm went off, deafeningly loud, and  orange flashing lights lit up. An angry official in military uniform ran up, grabbed the wand from the girl and started waving it all over me, all the time glaring at me.

I was wondering, why was there such a reaction, just for one small metal implant. Was it the combined weight of the metal of my resurfacing and all the fillings in my teeth? Anyway, with all the commotion going on, I coolly took out my wallet to get my embossed credit card sized copy of my x-ray to show them. As I pulled it out, the surgeon's invoice that was still in my wallet fell on the floor. The wand girl bent down to pick it up and I looked at her. She had an appealing figure. The irate official was not interested in my x-ray at all, but when the wand girl handed him the invoice, the whole situation resolved. He realised that I had had surgery and signaled for the alarms to be stopped.

He handed me back the invoice with a smirking face, as if to say, 'who would be stupid enough to pay for that out of his own pocket.' I looked him in the eye sternly until his expression changed and he looked down at the floor. I know how to give a dirty look.

The wand girl was standing next to me, closer to me than I had realised. Her face was reassuring, and radiant. Her name plate on her badge on her lapel was clearly visible. I hurried passed her to arrivals to meet my long suffering, faithful and equally attractive wife. It did occur to me afterward why the alarms had gone off. It was my iron will.

I recommend a tattoo to remember you scar.  Or maybe a picture of the device on your hip to remind you of that expensive piece of hardware you are carrying.   :)  

Use smiley faces to accentuate your sarcasm.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:25:16 PM by lopsided »

littleb

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
I don't know, maybe a tattoo of the device would help during airport searches when it gets to the point of the strip search and we've left the owner's manual at home. ;D
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
Lovely reply, Lopsided - let me know when you're publishing your next novel. I'll definitely buy a copy.

Andy

23109VC

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 02:43:46 AM »
I work inside a courthouse and go through a metal detector everyday. Since I am an employee, imjust get to walk in..even though I have a wallet, phone, etc and other stuffnthat sets it off.

My first day back to work,  purposefully emptied my pockets and walked through...imdid NOT set off the alarm!  I was kind of disappointed!

I'll jabe tom try it again at another entrance...I wonder if that one was broken or mist notmset sensitive enough?

Domt most of you set off metal detectors?  I assumed I would jabe set it off... Now I'm worried our security stinks.....if I can get through, what else is getting through!?!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

svanci02

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »
I am in sales and go through metal detectors all the time because I work with courts all through the state and have not set off an alarm yet, I have had both side done!!
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat