+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my schedule!!  (Read 6411 times)

FlbrkMike

Got my schedule!!
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
It was just over two months ago that I decided to pursue a BHR.  After seeing three doctors and running around for a couple of weeks assembling all of the medical authorization information I got the call today from Dr. Ball's office.  I'm scheduled for February 11 for the LBHR and March 11 for the RBHR.  Unfortunately I was in a meeting when the call came and I got the information from voicemail.  I couldn't respond before COB so I left a message with the office.  So, I guess I'm not technically confirmed until tomorrow, but I hope these dates are set in stone.

So now reality is setting in, with a mixture of excitement and a little fear as well.  This is actually going to happen.  It's definitely what I want but the whole thing is more than just a little daunting.  The next 6 months or so will be very interesting, and I know my Kindle is going to get a big workout.

Let's get it done!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:20:08 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

dsfbrit

Re: Got my schedule!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
I think I am similar. I have been active, played sport all my life, squash and football in particular. Over the last couple of years I have been able to 'hop' around a squash court, but its not much fun and walking is now no fun either. I have my operation with Dr Bose Next month and initially I was full 'fear' - in fact I almost cancelled twice. Now its completely different though. I am just looking forward to getting my life back. In fact when there was a problem with my India visa I jumped through hoops to sort it out. The thought of not being able to travel to India and have this operation was just not an option - I think like you that now I have decided to do it - I want to get on with it.

The sooner its done the sooner we can do those things we love doing again.

Good luck and I hope you do get the dates you wanted confirmed...

Dave.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:58:05 PM by dsfbrit »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:57:11 AM »
Hi Guys

Dr. Ball is an excellent surgeon and I am sure you will do well.  Please keep us updated and write a story for the website.

Dr. Bose is one of the best in the world.  I know he is far far away, but the trip will be worth it.  Don't change your mind, just keep thinking how great your summer will be.  Vicky, one of the other patient advocates, just came back from her surgery with Dr. Bose.  THis is her second BHR and she has traveled to India twice by herself.  So I know you can do it too.

Stay in touch and good luck to both of you with those new hips.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
I spoke with Dr. Ball's scheduler yesterday and got all of my appointments set up.

LBHR on 2/11
RBHR on 3/11

Four week and four month followups for each, and a pre-surgery meeting with Dr. Ball's team a week or so before the first procedure.  I still need to set up the joint replacement class.

The two dates are perfect, IMO, because they're both on Fridays.  My wife and I can both take that day off work and she can (hopefully) drive me home on Saturday or Sunday.  I can then take the next week off and, if all goes extremely well, start doing some work from home the second week after.

My ultimate goal is to make it to Park City on April 29 for my nephew's wedding.  OK, I guess that's the penultimate goal.  The ultimate goal is to get back to a normal and healthy lifestyle.

I'm very excited to be making some progress toward the surgery.  It's a little scary, though, now that it seems it's really going to happen.  It sure helps to be able to come here and read of other peoples' experiences.

Mike

PS, I'm wondering if I need to paint a big target on my left hip to ensure that they do the right...errr, correct...one first.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:06:18 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
Authorization from Blue Shield for the LBHR came in yesterday's mail.  W00t! (as my kids would leetspeak)

Also, instructions from the hospital, referral to the home healthcare service and dental antibiotic prophylaxis instructions.

Dr. Ball's PT left me a message to give him a call on Monday, and my pre-op meeting is on Tuesday.

It looks like things are actually coming together, and starting to get a little scary.  I just got promoted to engineering manager in my office.  Nice timing, so now I have two weeks to learn a new job before I take medical leave   ??? .  Got a big project starting next week, which I will be handing off to somebody else.  Oh well, when it rains it pours.  I guess.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:19:59 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

halfdone

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
Maybe the new developments at work are a little bit of a blessing in disguise - a focus to keep you from worrying too much about surgery.  I know that scary feeling, however confidently well prepared one may be, there's still that feeling of stepping into the unknown and handing trust and control to others.  Stay positive - looking forward to welcoming you on the other side (as it were) where the grass really is greener.  :)
HD

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
So did I.  I have my left scheduled for the 22nd of Feb by Pritchett in Seattle.  My right will follow 6 weeks later.  I was fine with all of this until I started reading the pre-op details and then I started getting a little freaked out.  The way I deal with that is to remind myself of all the very positive stories here on the website and all the positive info from the doc.  He was so matter-of-fact and confident about my hips that I feel pretty much run-of-the-mill.  He does about 6 RS's a week and has over 2600 now.  He was researching this stuff in the 80s so I feel very confident with him.  It's still surgery though. 

Hope all goes well with yours.   I think keeping your head out of it by staying busy is probably the best.

Bryn
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
I'm on my 8th week of my second resurfacing.  I was having dinner with my 18 year old daughter at her favorite pancake place (don't ask), when she looked at me and said - Dad, how does it feel not to have that pain any more? - And it really struck me how much the constant pain from before the surgery had not only affected me, but those I loved as well.

I know it's scary to go through surgery, and I would never minimize that; the feeling I have is that it has been such a positive for me that the second time around I was excited to get to my right hip. I feel like I've been launched into a pain free part of my life.

So good luck, from this point of view, you've taken a brave step that I feel will pay off.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
I hear you .  My kid keeps telling me I have to get on the unicycle and do some tricks like him.  I don't need to do any tricks, I just want to be able to ride it again without pain.  It's probably the worst thing I can do to my hips, all the strain goes right through the hip.  Hey, I'll be happy to just walk without a wince and gimp.   Thanks for the support.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

halfdone

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:16 AM »
Hey FM, good luck for Friday and your first speedy recovery.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »
When I got to outpatient Physical therapy, the first thing they did was to slap me onto an exercise bicycle. I was leery, since for a couple of years that had been painful, but the only pain was from the leg that still needed to be operated on. The first time, I had a little discomfort from sitting on the bicycle seat, but that went away quickly as I got stronger. The resurfaced leg eventually got strong enough that it started causing problems for the other leg, which couldn't keep up.

The second surgery cleared all of that up, and I can comfortably go 20 minutes on the exercise bike without any problem. I use it for a warmup for my PT exercises - I'm not a biker, but after feeling this good on it, I may pick it up.

Good luck!

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
Thanks, I feel like I'm on the final countdown now.

I still have a lot of stuff to wrap up at work, but once Friday morning (even Thursday night) comes around I have a feeling that I'll feel a huge weight starting to lift.

It'll be nice to be able to ride a bike again.  What I'm really looking forward to is getting back on my rower.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
So, today is my big day.  We woke up at 3:30 a.m. to get showered and dressed for my 5:30 check-in at Thornton Hospital at UC San Diego.

Most everything has gone very smoothly and I can't say enough good things about the doctors, nurses, and staff here.  I was fully prepped and in the OR by 7:30 a.m.  A few minutes of bantering with the surgical team is all I remember before waking up in recovery at 10:30 a.m. with a new left hip.  At this point I am truly amazed at how easy this has been.  When I woke up I had some fairly strong pain at the incision site and my lower back was also in great pain.  This had me a little worried, but the back pain was primarily from lying down flat for too long.  After raising the head and knee area of the bed the back pain resolved in 10 or 15 minutes.

I had a general anesthesia for the surgery, as well as an epidural, which is still in my back.  There's a PCA attached to the epidural, and a few shots from that pretty much took care of the hip pain.  There's still obviously some tenderness and stiffness there, but much less than I expected.  I haven't had to max out the PCA (30 minute intevals) since the first hour.

The PT was in about an hour ago and got me sitting up on the side of the bed, with no dizziness at all.  I was able to raise my knee and my foot against her pressure with no problems at all.  Really, I feel like I could get up and walk right now, but we are going to wait until tomorrow.  I seriously don't think that could possibly be more happy than I am right now with the way things are going..  

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:23:27 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
Great to hear everything went well, now when the other is done you will have a matched pair of good joints!

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Once I get the second one done, and the nuclear fuel implant is complete, I should be able to give this guy a run for his money...

Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
Sounds like you are already there.... good luck on a very quick, painless and easy recovery.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

halfdone

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
Great news.  Hope all continues smoothly!  You'll crush Steve A - he's old tech.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
Awesome results! glad to hear how well it's going.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »
Had two walking sessions yesterday (with two crutches).  Early afternoon I went once around the ward with Dr. Ball (a triangle with maybe 3 or 4 rooms on a side).  Found also that I could do fine with one crutch, but will keep the two for now.  Later with the nurse I did one lap and then out to the 3rd floor mezzanine all the way to the end and back, about 4 times the length of the first walk.  

Everybody seems amazed at how well I'm moving.  It seems sincere, but could also be encouragement.  Also getting up and going to the bathroom with no problem.  Dr. Ball says there's no weight bearing limit, just whatever I can handle.  Flexion limit is 120 degrees, but I don't expect to be approaching that for quite a while.  No crossing of legs, and avoid moving left hip toward right shoulder.

Pain last night was worse than the night before, probably because the epidural is gone.  Unable to sleep without the oxycontin, but at least I'm able to roll over on my right side for awhile and read my Kindle.  Still hoping for discharge today.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:39:13 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
The hospital had some problems finding an adult sized wheelchair in which to ship me out   ???, but after an hour or so of searching they finally came up with something wide enough to accommodate my ample girth without compromising my incision.  I'm now sitting in my favorite recliner, thanks to a ride home from my wonderful wife, with the heat turned up to 71 deg from the usual 65 (I almost got a chill waking up from a nap this afternoon).  Trying to sleep comfortably tonight may be an interesting adventure.

Really, though, all I need now is a good bowel movement and I'll be able to consider the whole episode (so far at least) a resounding success.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat