+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How soon before I'm biking/racing again?  (Read 3699 times)

jbc

How soon before I'm biking/racing again?
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
Hi,

I'm going in for surgery next week 1/20/11.  I'm getting my right hip resurfaced and was curious as to how long I'll be out from both street riding and motocross?  I'm guessing a year for the motocross but I'd like to be able to be riding on the street again this spring.

Joe

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
Re: How soon before I'm biking/racing again?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
Aloha Joe,

I used to ride trails in the mountains/jungle here in Hawaii where there is lots of slippery roots and wet conditions.  It took me over a year and a half to get back on my motorcycle.  And the first few rides were very cautious for I do not want to fall on my hip with that extra weight on me.  I just entered my first Poker run and it was way too wet to finish, so I just made it up the first mean hill and then took it easy and rode the flat track areas for I know our mountain..expert only and don't even try when its that wet unless you want to spend 6 hours up there stuck and helping everyone out..so yes my riding has been toned down..but it was riding that made my hip wear out(root cause)and I always have "been there, done that" to the younger riders who don't care if they fall.  I am now 2 years and 2 1/2 months out and I think I ride most all radical hills when I need to, but prefer to ride the rides that bring pleasure not pain.  It could be my 45 year old brain leading me now.

Eric

jbc

Re: How soon before I'm biking/racing again?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.  I do a lot of offroad riding/racing as well although I prefer the track for some sick reason.  I'm 45 as well and my body is definitely telling me things.  I don't believe dirt bikes were the main cause of my hip going bad.  Actually me left isn't that far behind so I'm sure I'll be having that one done as well in a few years.  I'm thinking the main contributer was my many years as a hockey goalie.  I stopped playing goalie after severing my right ACL in an offroad dirt bike race of all places.  I believe the CTI I'm wearing on that leg has been transferring more impact pressure to that hip thus it being further along than the left.  Who knows for sure, just a guess at this point.  I've still been playing ice hockey as a D man and one of my teammates had this exact surgery 5 or 6 years ago which is how I found out about this.  He's doing just fine on the ice so I think I'll be fine there.  I'll probably wait at least a year before riding in the dirt again but it's going to be hard watching my son and not being out there with him...

Joe

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal