+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Viewing software for your X-rays on the Mac  (Read 7100 times)

trumpetman

Viewing software for your X-rays on the Mac
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
I recently asked for a copy of my X-ray images from Kaiser, so that I could take them with me and show them to other Dr.s outside of the Kaiser system.

The format on the CD was nothing I could view with normal programs, so I started searching.   What I found was a great reader called OsiriX.  It claims to be the world's fastest DICOM viewer and is built on open source code. 
The pictures look great on the screen, but even better, it easily lets you export and send the images to anybody in common formats like .jpg or .pdf.

I got it from versiontracker.com, but you can go directly to their www page http://www.osirix-viewer.com/
they also have paid versions which are for professionals.

Hope this helps somebody searching for a way to view their images. Here is a sample of my L hip.

stephen

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
Re: Viewing software for your X-rays on the Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
You can also look at your mri and ct scans on osirix. With ct, you can do fantastic 3d reconstructions. Actually, quite a few orthopods and radiologists use it in their daily practice.
Don't bother to pay for the 64bit version, just the standard free download is fine. If you want to give a donation, to the osirix guys, though, feel free to do so. They have put literally thousands of hours free of charge into developing this amazing software.
Only works on Macs, incidentaly, not PCs.
If you only have a pc, google "dicom viewer" and you'll find several free progs you can download to view your xrays.
Andy BC

littleb

Re: Viewing software for your X-rays on the Mac
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
I love actually seeing my first MRI from 4/08 then comparing it to an xray from 4/09. Now I should ask HSS for all MRI and xrays they have. Watching the hip go down hill is pretty amazing even in 1 year even after artho surgery. The best part is the MRI I have came from the place worker's comp sent me to and saw nothing wrong. Ummm, maybe because you have the series listed as my shoulder? I would have thought they would find serious problems if that was my shoulder lol.

Seriously, that was a horror show.I was in a lot of pain from a torn labrum. They guy is telling me that it is critcal get get the line in just right for the dye or their could be problems. He is fiddling in and out with the needle for about 10 mins then says he needs to call the doctor in. He thinks he got it right because he's done it a few times before. Once that is set I go for the MRI. I had never done one before so was surprised when I went into full blown panic attack. The tech yells at me to stay still as the warmish air blows in at my forehead.She says that is because I am short, just stay still. Never again! I've had 2 other MRIs now in doctors offices and boy what a difference. Valium and goggles that have mirrors that show the room behind you and somehow adjusted for short people.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz