+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: another long time sufferer  (Read 1442 times)

ohiotim

another long time sufferer
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
 I have been on this site for a while now, GREAT SITE PAT!!!
I figured it was time to start my journey.My problems started my freshman year ther,I had  had a big growth spurt over the summer (about 2-3 in) When I started school I started having pain in my knee .This went on for several weeks, my limp got worse and and worse. Finally went to doctor ,no problem in my knee ,it was my hip.I was diagnosed  with SCFP(slipped capital femoral ephisis) basically a hip fracture.
 So at 15 yrs old they put 2 pins in my right hip and I was on crutches for 3 months.
After 3 months my left hip started hurting,no pins for this hip ,I was on crutches for another 3 months.  That all happened in 1987. At that point everything seemed ok, but at that time my doctor told my parents that because of the trauma to that area ,I would have hip replacement by the time I turn 40.
Up til about 2000 I didn't have much problems. But the pain was beyond aleve or aspirin. My doctor put me on viox ,this worked wonders. At that point my doctor told me if I could hold out another 5-10 years that there were major advancements coming in hip replacement. He was right .
Now 2011 , I'm now taking celebrex and occasional vicodine for pain. I am now 38 yrs old.  I have not been able to do the things I love for 10-12 yrs (basketball ,motercylcles,snow skiing) now all my energy is put toward my employment, i 'm a plumber and have been for 16yrs. Most days its all I can do to get through the day.
All that being said Its time!!!
 My plan is for this summer to do both hips. I have been going to Dr. Sharat Kasuma in Columbus,oh at Grant hospital. He is trained with the BHR, I think he has about 150 so far.
That's my story so far....
Thanks again to all who are on this site ,reading your post have really helped me.
RBHR 6/22/11 LBHR 8/3/11.DR Sharat Kasuma, Grant Bone & Joint Center, Columbus, Oh.

Dayton96

Re: another long time sufferer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:41:54 AM »
Tim,

If it were me, I would want to know exactly how many HR he has done, what his revision rate is, and what his infection rate is.  How often does he go in to do a BHR and end up doing a THR instead?  When you said he has done 150, were those on his own, or was he assisting someone else for some of them? 

Good luck,
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: another long time sufferer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
Hi Tim

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Sorry you have bad hips and have to be here, but we are all in the same boat.  I am from Marietta OH, so we are neighbors.

I would also suggest that you talk with Dr. Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic that has done over 850 hip resurfacings.  He attends many of the conferences to learn and help train other surgeons.  He is the most expeirnced in Ohio.  You can listen to his video interview here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosdoctor.php  Video #4   

I think if you have read here very much that I along with most people here, always suggest using the most experinced surgeons.  There is less likely chance of any problems.  Using a less expiernced surgeon does not mean there will be problems, but why take a chance since the retention rate is now 96% now meaning that 4 out of 100 people will have problems.  YOu don't want to be one of the 4 if you can help it.

Glad you are here and hope you find a good solution to your problems.  It is good that you have learned about hip resurfacing since you are still very young.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat