+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 months post-op - knee and foot swelling with pain while walking  (Read 13000 times)

jabber

It's been two months since my surgery.  My thigh and knee were extremely stiff in the beginning but after doing most of the recommended ROM exercises, it seems to help.  I've been off the crutches for two weeks now and my knee is extremely swollen and my foot is as well.  Both hurt when I walk.  The knee and foot are both on the same operative side.  Anyone else have this problem?  I've started some light walking on my treadmill and am wondering if I'm overdoing it although from what I've heard it shouldn't be.

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
Re: 2 months post-op - knee and foot swelling with pain while walking
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
Were your knee and foot swollen ever since the operation, or is it new?
Also, just to check, do you have any pain in your calf?
Sometimes the post op swelling can take several months to resolve.
Also, it's common to get knee pain when you start mobilising simply because the stresses and strains you're putting through your leg are inevitably a bit different from preoperatively.
Andy

jabber

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:57 AM »
Hi Andy:

Thanks for your response. I did not have any pain or swelling in these areas before surgery, this is all new, post-op issues.  Of course my foot was swollen right after surgery but over time it went down and felt normal even with the 75% weight.  My knee and thigh had been very stiff but with the exercises and time, loosened up a bit.  Since I've been off the crutches, 2 weeks now, there has been an increased pain in my knee and the top of my foot, with some swelling.  I can understand some stiffness but the pain?  It seems that my gimping is a result of these two issues and not my hip.  My hip feels great, it's just these two areas that seem to be giving me the most trouble. I'm trying to be patient and chalk it up to the stress of full weight and exercise but wondered if this is a normal reaction.  I realize everyone has different issues but I thought I'd see if I could get some insight before I call the Dr.  I did mention postop to the Dr. about my knee and thigh being so sore and stiff and he mentioned in so many words that he thought it was the "trauma" the leg goes through with the surgery.  Still, almost 9 weeks later I was hoping to be dancing the night away . . . don't we all!   Thanks again!   

jabber

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
Also, forgot to mention, no, no calf pain.

andybc

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
Well, firstly, the lack of any calf pain is nice to know. The remote possibility of a dvt needed considering but I I think that's basically ruled out.

I'm not so sure about the concept of "the trauma the leg goes through with the surgery" - perhaps more to do with the extra strain on your knee and foot due to altered gait which inevitably occurs post op, that and the fact that you've been on crutches for a while and are now off them.

Not sure if you're using a cane now or went straight to unaided walking from crutches? If the latter, maybe definitely try a cane even if for only some of the time. If you're using a cane, perhaps try a bit of time on crutches each day to give things a rest and see if that helps. I'd be interested to know what walking aids you're using.

I don't think what you're describing should ring any alarm bells; more likely your body telling you to ease up a bit.

Keep us informed as to your progress.

Best wishes.

Andy

jabber

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Hi again Andy:

When I went for my 6 week post-op I was a little wobbly after being totally faithful to the crutches for six weeks.  The Dr. only suggested I use a crutch on my right side to help keep me straight for a few days.  No mention of a cane.  I actually feel like I have turned a corner the past couple of days.  My knee is better but still a little pain in my foot.  Still, better than it has been so maybe this is the start to much improvement.  Probably just my body reacting to all the weight being applied once again.  I will keep my fingers crossed.  Thanks for the input and I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

andybc

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
Great. Sounds like it's going fine but don't be dissapointed if you have some bad days. I find I get pain if I've overdone things, then I just ease back for the next day or two.

Keep it up.

Andy

jabber

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks Andy.  Yes, I know I can't let a little pain get me down.  I overall have been complaint free.  I am young enough, (53) and in relatively good shape so my recovery has gone well.  Just didn't expect so much pain in my knee and foot, post crutches.  If anything, I thought I'd have more hip pain which I haven't really had.  Go figure, threw me off a bit but it seems to be improving.  I do need to slow down a bit.  Not one to sit so when I got the all clear at 6 weeks, I was rarin to go.  In any case, look forward to spring and getting out and about.

Take care!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal