+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip fracture after hip resurfacing  (Read 1806 times)

drobulack

hip fracture after hip resurfacing
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
I had a BHR mid October.  I did physio and progressed well and was back to work, teaching, 5 weeks later.  But six weeks after the surgery I fractured the neck of my femur.  I did not fall, I am not sure how it happened. 
I had additional surgery and 2 screws were put in to hold the bone.  I am now 7 weeks post second op and resting at home with crutches.  I used a walker for the first 6 weeks.  According to x rays last week it is healing and all is in place.  I am of course nervous about this recovery and so am much more cautious than before.  I was told if this doesn't work I will need a complete hip replacement.
I would like to hear if others have had this problem or any comments on this

BrianROC

Re: hip fracture after hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
Best of luck with your recovery. 

ReneeP

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »
I had a BHR on November 8th.  I started having increased pain 3 weeks post-op and at 4 weeks found out the neck of my femur was fractured.  I didn't fall, and I was following post op protocol and rules, too.  So,at 5 weeks post-op, on December 13th, I was converted to a total hip replacement.  I was upset at first, but I'm now 5 weeks post-op, progressing well, and feel great.  I have a large metal on metal prosthetic.  The surgeon used the same cup and just replaced the femur side.  I'm told that I can do anything I could have done with a BHR, except that running or high impact sports may reduce the lifespan of my prosthetic.

Good luck with your recovery...I hope the screws hold everything together so that you can keep your resurfacing.  My only option was a THR...it was fractured through enough that the blood supply to the ball of my femur was compromised.  I have no idea how or why it fractured, but I was told it only happens in 1% of cases!  Apparently, it's more likely in women.  I'm tall, but not a big-boned person.  I was also told by people here that it can also be caused by surgeon error.  I am planning on sending my post-op x-rays to Drs. Bose and DeSmet to see if they can shed any light on why it may have happened.

Renee
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

drobulack

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:50:26 AM »
Thank you Renee 
This sounds exactly like me but they did not have the matching part to do the total hip replacement.  I had this done in Hong kOng and I live Macao which is near by.  i am also a woman, not tall and not big boned but I am 64 years old.  I am wondering if I should have had the BH resurfacing in the first place. 
I know that if this doesn't work I am in for more surgery and this really scares me.  Yes I was told about the 1 % also.  Today I have a pain in my buttock and I am hoping it is just the muscle not anything else.
That is a good idea about sending x rays,
The waiting game is hard.
Diane

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Your first 6 months post-op you are more likely to have a neck fracture as the bones go through a change post-op to around 6 months.  Dr. Gross always says that if you get through 6 months you are not likely to fracture.

Other causes can be notching of the femoral neck which is surgeon error but that's not always the case.

In the end, you stand the best chance of going to the most experienced doctor you can find, even if you have to travel.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat