+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still improving  (Read 7360 times)

John C

Still improving
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
As all the regulars on this site know, I have been having a great time skiing with my new hip. I continue to teach high level lessons 8 hours a day, seven days a week, throughout the main winter season. I am 2 1/2 years post-op at this point, and have been excited over the past couple of weeks to note continued progress. My hip continues to get stronger, and more solid feeling when I push it. I continue to find and build muscles that I could not use for many years before the surgery. The big change recently has been in skating across the flats. Ever since the surgery, this has been the one move in skiing that always caused discomfort as I push off using the muscles that were cut. It struck me today as I was skating across the top of the bowls, that I did not feel any discomfort at all, and that it had been that way for the past week or so. It sounds like a small thing, but it is great to be continuing to hit milestones at 2 1/2 years out. :D
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

jjmclain

Re: Still improving
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »
Congrats John! I am at 10 weeks post-op and doing fantastic as well. I am looking forward to getting back to my sport. Keep the updates coming as it gives the rest of us encouragement.

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
jj,
When do you reckon you'll start skiing again? I'm 8 weeks post op but nowhere near able to think about it yet. Guess it will be next season although would love to think it might be earlier.

Andy

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
LOL!!! I don't ski!!! My sport is triathlon...I never learned to ski, so I don't think I ever will now!

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
Hey John,   It is so good to read your posts. Very encouraging to say the least. I wish I could get more snowboard days but at the time it is hard to get away from work and stuff. It is nice to know and look forward to those small (but huge) improvements that people who never have had hip problems will ever understand. Maybe some day in the future we can meet up and you can show me your secret runs that stay untracked and unpoached. Heres to future improvments. Keep up the good work.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
jj,

Reminiscent of the exchange "doc, will I be able to ski after my op?"
Surgeon "definitely"
Patient "fantastic, cos I've never skied before"

Andy

jjmclain