+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dentist  (Read 5887 times)

jgenese

Dentist
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
I am going to the dentist Monday for a cleaning. Is there anything I should concern myself with as far as infections go?

littleb

Re: Dentist
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
When was your resurf? I was told no dentist for 6 months and then antibiotics before for the rest of my life.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

moe

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
JG, You should take the antibiotics an hour before your appt., even for just a cleaning.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »
Well, I think the standard advice is to take antibiotics before any "major" dental work, but that's a bit open to interpretation. I think most would say cleaning doesn't merit any, but I'm not sure there's really any downside to a short course to cover even that.

BrianROC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Dr. Gross wants antibiotics taken before any dental work for the rest of your life. 

John C

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »
Dr. Gross does suggest antibiotics for life, even for cleanings. The theory is that cleaning can sometimes involve some bleeding, meaning that bacteria from the mouth could enter the blood stream. I just had my teeth cleaned yesterday, and took the standard amoxycillin; four 500mg tablets.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

ReneeP

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »
I had dental work on Friday.  I was already on anti-biotics because I had a tooth ache and the dentist couldn't get me in for 2 days.  I'm on amoxiciilin 500 mgs 3X/day.  However, for any further dental work, including cleanings, I have to take antibiotics one hour before the procedure for the rest of my life.

Incidentally, my tooth was cracked and had a cavity.  Even though it was fixed, it still hurts in my gums and my jaw on that side hurts.  Should I be concerned?  I've been on amoxicillin since Thursday and naturally I'm worried about my hip after having 2 recent surgeries on it.  I know infection isn't good for a metal hip.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:14:23 AM »
What is the reason for this?  Is there a fear that the bacteria from your mouth would get into your blood and make it's way to your hip and infect it??? 

I don't think it will bother me to have to take antibiotics before i do dental work...but it makes you worry.....  I mean...what do i do if i am playing sports and got hit in the mouth and bled..do i need to go on antibiotics too?

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
What is the reason for this?  Is there a fear that the bacteria from your mouth would get into your blood and make it's way to your hip and infect it??? 

Yup.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
Am I right that the infection issue would be the same with a THR?
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

jgenese

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I had my resurf Oct 22. Is this something I should call my doc about? My dentist appt. is Monday. Sounds like I should reschedule til I get some antibiotics.
By the way, the new hip feels amazing...I still can't believe it!

JohnnyG

ReneeP

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
Am I right that the infection issue would be the same with a THR?
Yes, it's the same.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

andybc

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
It sounds as though the USA view is a bit different to that in the UK. Prophylactic antibiotics are a bit of a hot potato over here, but, as I mentioned previously, I don't really see much downside. Whereas I see a lot of downside if your hip gets infected!
Andy

BrianROC

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
It sounds as though the USA view is a bit different to that in the UK. Prophylactic antibiotics are a bit of a hot potato over here, but, as I mentioned previously, I don't really see much downside. Whereas I see a lot of downside if your hip gets infected!
Andy

According to the hand out Dr. Gross gave me at my six week checkup, "This is controversial in the medical and dental community, but it is my recommendation to you.  Lifetime risk for infection spreading to  your joint is less thank 1/2%." 

It sounds like one of those things where you would rather be safe than sorry. 

littleb

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
jg, you could call the doctor in the am and ask then to put in a script you can take 1 hour before if you don't have an early appointment. As I said, I was told no dental work at all unless it's an emergency prior to 6 months, after that antibiotics like everyone else has said. Healing increases the blood flow to that area most during the first 6 months. We need to be careful with all infections actually for the rest of our lives I've been told.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

andybc

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Even though the uk view may differ, I think I would go with Dr Gross. The difficulty is whether there's any hard and fast evidence of benefit. So called "evidence based medicine".
Downside is the risk of spreading resisitant bugs in the community. Realistically, it will only be a relatively small number of people taking the antibiotic for this quite specific scenario.
I'm sure there's no published data that proves which view is correct.

moe

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
Johhny, your dentist should be able to scrip you the antibiotics also, they're used to dealing with this.

I was bitten by a dog recently and went on the meds, not taking chances.

There is a history of patients losing their hip/knee replacements in the past before the medical community realised that infection could spread this way. Better safe than sorry.

Great to hear that you are doing so well Johnny!

moe
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:52:51 PM by moe »

jgenese

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
I just picked up my amoxiciilin. My dentist wouldn't work on me without taking them. I'm glad we have this site with so many great people. Thanks to all! My doc confirmed that this a lifetime deal befoe a trip to the dentist.
Hey Moe, it's awesome to be able to climb in and out of submarines without any pain whatsoever. Heading to Pearl Harbor next week to work on one. Looking forward to some swimming in Waikiki. Going through security with my new hip should be a treat! haha

moe

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
That's great Johnny, I don't miss going in those torpedo tubes but I could if I had to! lol

Have fun out there, I'm sure you'll get the full body feel at the airport.

I had a couple of ex coworkers ask how my hips are and does the cold weather bother them today, I told them they are the best part of my body! lol!...Dr Marchand is the man....moe

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
You guys are freaking me out.  How does bacteria mess with chromoly?  or whatever the MOM implants are made of.  I presume once the wounds heal from surgery you don't have much blood interaction with the device, right?  Does someone with a stainless bracket in their tibia need antibiotics before going in for dental cleaning? 

Does anyone have a study on this, with some numbers?  I'd like to think that my immune system is pretty solid.   Does chromoly somehow lower your body's immune system?   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat