+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 and 12 DAYS POST OP  (Read 2485 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
10 and 12 DAYS POST OP
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
Hello Fellow Hippies and Future Hippies!
I am almost 2 weeks post op and I can't believe it. I arrived home one week ago (Saturday, Jan.15). I would say that the first week after surgery is probably the worst part. I was never in any real bad pain, only stiffness and soreness like I expected. It does take some getting used to the new hip(s). The pain never went above a 3, and when it did, I was due for another pain med. I was on the narcotic stuff for about 5 days then went to X-strength Tylenol. I still take it several times a day just to help with soreness. The worst part of this experience is having to gimp around on crutches and trying to get comfortable. Falling asleep takes longer, I wish I could curl up on my side. It was hard to get used to being stuck in the house too, but I'm used to that for now. It is cold and snowy outside here in central PA. Right now things are much better, I'm into a routine around the house. I do my exercises twice a day and walk around on the crutches several times. I hope to go to the mall soon and walk.
I am so glad it is over, now I'm really impatient wishing it was months from now. The big thing is, the bad hips are gone! No noise, no more stabbing pain and really smooth. I can't wait until they are healed and I can move in the normal range of motion. I highly recommend a recliner to spend your time in. I'll check in and leave some more updates in the days and weeks ahead.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

BrianROC

Re: 10 and 12 DAYS POST OP
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well. 

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well, you will be surprised everyday how much you will improve and one day you will go a whole day and not even remember you have implants.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jodieshane

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »
Hi, Steve!

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I'm sheduled in Feb. with Dr. Gross for bi-lat., also.
The anxiety has been building up, but letters such as yours helps calm things down.
Thank you!

Shane

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
Shane,

Don't sweat it, Dr. Gross is one of the best, he's one of the only doctors that all but guaranteed that my surgery would end up great.  Dr. G's pain protocol is great so most all of his patients feel no pain during the first 24-36 hours.

Everyone gets nervous but believe me you will be fine.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
Steve:

I was wondering how you were doing.  If you have a chance, I wouldn't mind hearing some more detail about what the first few days out of the hospital were like for you.  Did you drive back to PA or fly?

Mac

Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »
Shane,
I know how you feel. It seems so daunting and overwhelming. Like Chuck says, you are in really good hands with Dr. Gross and Lee Webb. There was not any time when I was in the hospital that I felt miserable, in pain, or just "get me outa here!" You'll see what I mean when you are there. As a matter of fact, I had a problem adjusting the first day when I got home. After all the excitement, attention and activity in Providence Hospital, home was suddenly a little too quiet, also you are on your own, no nurses, delivered meals, etc. The physical therapy people are great, I looked forward to them coming in and spending time with me. You'll meet the other Gross hippies who will be there.
I have been home for a week now. I feel really good, I am in no pain, just a little stiff. I am off the heavy drugs, the bandages are off, I no longer use my ice machine or ice packs, and I'm getting around O.K. It's slow and guarded movements, but it feels better every day. Today I got dressed in regular clothes and my wife took me to the local Best Buy electronics store. I needed new ear phones for my ipod. It's the first time I ever went in public with crutches other than the trip home from South Carolina. I didn't know how it would go. It went really well. It felt comfortable and I'm ready to go out somewhere again. Just be really careful and watch for any icy spots if it's cold.
I'm telling you this just to let you know that even though it's an adjustment, it's not terrible. The best part about all of this is, the arthritis pain is gone. It's unbelievable, so smooth. I don't constantly use the word "OWWW!" anymore. Look forward to it. The way you are now, you will never get better, you'll only get worse. These days will soon be in the past.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
Mac,
My wife drove us home. We split the trip into two days, about 5 hours each day. It probably could have been done in one day, but she doesn't like driving that much. Flying might be easier, but I guess we were looking to save bucks because we would also have to rent a car in South Carolina. I slept most of the way.
The first day home was a little hard for me because after all the excitement and activity in the hospital, home was a little too quiet for me. I felt a little claustrophobic. That was me, maybe others don't get that way. It was a lot of attention and things going on in the hospital, plus you are cared for constantly, then suddenly that all is gone.
The second day I felt a little nauseous. Not sick enough to have a bucket beside me, but enough that food didn't appeal to me at all. I called Nancy Smith at Dr. Gross's on Monday and she sent in a prescription for anti-nausea med. I took it and felt fine in about a day. She said some people get that way from having anesthesia in them.
The hardest time for me was the first 2 or 3 days home. You are on your own,(no nurses), you will still have the bandages on and will still be using ice.
I was never in any bad pain, just discomfort. It was hard to get comfortable to go to sleep at times.
These things are not terrible, they will pass quickly. Maybe others don't have these symptoms and I hate to tell you any bad things, but that is the way it was for me.
As I said to Shane in another post, today I am really comfortable. No bandages, no ice and I'm getting around a lot better. I think so far everything is what I expected, except for the nausea thing. But then that was maybe just my reaction.
I'm not two weeks out from surgery, yet I can't believe how fast I have progressed. It hasn't been bad at all.

Steve

Dayton96

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »
Steve:

Would you say it's necessary to have someone stay with you that first week home?

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
Whether or not you need someone home is up to your surroundings and how well you prepare. 

If you have a fairly good home layout, not a lot of steps, not a lot of stuff laying around, food enough for a week or so that can be easily and quickly made and a good bathroom with an elevated toilet you could get by without any help.  I know I could have done it without anyone being around, many other hippies have done it.

You should really have someone with you for the surgery and to get home though, although I suppose it could be done without, but I would stay an extra few days.  Unless you are Bi Lat, Dr. Gross discharges Friday and wants you to stay till Sat, the operation is usually Wed. If I was to try it alone I would stay 3-4 days extra, but it's much easier with someone with you.

Lee told me I could drive 3 days post op, I had my right hip done, I actually drove probably 1/2 the way to Pgh from SC, of course providing you are not taking Vicodin, I used them post-op to sleep a few nights.

As Steve pointed out, the way that they have everything setup for you the experience is a pretty good one, most doctor Gross patients make it through without much pain, just some discomfort, I was never in more pain post-op than I was on my worst day pre-op.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »
My upcoming LBHR is on Friday, Feb. 11, and expecting to be discharged on Sunday.  My wife is going to take Friday off of work to be with me during the surgery and then drive me home about 40 miles on Sunday.  She's also taking Monday and Tuesday off of work in case I need her help during the day, but I expect she can go back on Tuesday.  At least she will be there at night time to help me out.

I currently do most 99.99% of the cooking and prefer to make most meals from scratch using fresh foods, and I expect to have difficulty in the kitchen for a while.  I'll stock up the freezer with individual servings of chili and other stuff that I can pre-cook, and probably buy a bunch of frozen dinners from Trader Joe's so that she will be able to survive my recovery. ( ;) )
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:35:07 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Mac,
Chuck answered it best about someone being home with you. My wife had to go back to work, my adult son was at home most of the time during the day. He just finished college and doesn't have full time work yet. I could have done quite well by myself. Just be prepared.

Steve

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
If you wear TED stockings (?what they're called in the USA), that's the one thing you really do need help for. But you only need them off when you're going to shower.

Driving at 3 days seems quite adventurous to me but I'm sure Chuck wouldn't have done so if he didn't feel safe. I think, though, the UK insurance companies would try and wriggle out of a claim if you had an accident at that stage. Not sure if they're the same in the US.

I drove at 4 weeks which was when my surgeon gave me the all clear, but felt I could have driven ok a week or two earlier. It really gives you that extra degree of freedom and independance which is a great morale booster.

Andy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat