+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 4205 times)

Dannywayoflife

Hi everyone
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
Hi everyone, I've just joined the site after using it for research for several months now.
I'm 28 and was diagnosed with degenerative labral tearing and OA in my left hip in august last year. I had an arthroscopy by Mr Conroy in October, after the op he informed me that my joint was in much worse state than the mri's and X-ray's had shown. He said it was highly likely to be due to an old injury I sustained while in training with the military. I have always been so so active and competed in muay Thai at an international level and have been competing in mma for a couple of years now.
I initially recovered from the arthroscopy very well and have more range of movement than i
Did prior yo the op(I couldn't even put my socks on or tie my shoe laces!) but I am now starting to have serious problems even walking short distances.
I am really starting to get me down as I am unable to do the things I love and live for, I have put on alot of weight as I carnt train. It is effecting my work as I work in security.
I am looking at getting it resurfaced I appreciate that I will probably have to modify my sports but would like to carry On with combat sports of some sort in the future( I'm thinking of boxing and judo or jujitsu) is this feasible or am I being unrealistic?
Many thanks for reading my whinge! And look forward to becoming an active part of the board.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
Hi Danny
Welcome to Hip Talk. Have you started to look for a surgeon yet? You are young and you should choose on of the most expreinced hip resurfacing surgeons so you can remain active.  You might be able to continue in your sport - I can't say for sure.  Many athletes return to their sports.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
Hi pat,
         Thanks for the reply. I've not yet started looking for a surgeon yet. Can you recommend any in the uk? Obviously I know of Mr Mcminn but I carnt afford to pay for the op privatly and don't believe he does it on the NHS. I have been advised by Mr Conroy my arthroscopy surgeon that a course of steroid injections may be beneficial so I will be trying that soon.
Thanks for your help
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:39 AM »
Whereabouts in the UK are you, Danny?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:39:22 AM »
Hi Andy, I'm in Sussex but I also have an address in Yorkshire so a decent surgeon in either place would be a doable.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

chris finn

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »
Hi Danny

my surgeon was Mr Alan Norrish at Addenbrookes` hospital in Cambridge....Im very happy with everything he and his team did for me. If you need any more information then let me know.

As for getting back into sport, I can understand how you feel as Im also a martial artist, but I would say that judo would not be a good idea. I participated in Judo for many years and I miss it greatly, but the throws and leg sweeps...and even the groundwork would, in my opinion,be bad for your hip. I also trained in Taekwondo for many,many years, but I dont think I will go back to training at a club......although who knows what the future may bring  ;)
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
Hi chris,
            Did you go private? Yeah I hear what your saying about the judo. But I suppose time will tell on that one!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

andybc

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
Hi Danny,

I'm afraid I don't know anyone in those areas. I live in the Channel Islands and I'm not totally up to speed with how the NHS works,  but I'm sure you'll have gathered from this website that if at all possible it's best to find a surgeon who has done a lot of resurfacings. I guess the plan should be to see who/what is on offer locally initially.
You're welcome to email me if you want any "ex officio" advice.

Andy

chris finn

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
Hi chris,
            Did you go private? Yeah I hear what your saying about the judo. But I suppose time will tell on that one!

lol..on my wages!?!?!? ...no mate NHS
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
Ha fair one chris!! Do you not hav the NHS in the channel isles Andy?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

andybc

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Well, we have the equivalent, but no-one that does resurfacing! So if you want that you have to go off Island and pay. The orthopods are excellent at THRs but i wanted  resurfacing as have had a septic arthritis and a THR is not easy to revise if one has the misfortune of it going wrong.

chris finn

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »
Hi Danny,
 I live in the Channel Islands
Andy

Are you rich then ???  ;) ;) :D :D

Been to Jersey a couple of times, including for my honeymoon........many,many years ago ;) 

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
Yeah jersey is lovely I went with the wife just before Xmas was lovely! Mind I don't think you have to earn a fortune over there as they pay so little tax!! Petrol was about 80p! Mind guess houses are pricy!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

andybc

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Alas, I'm not one of the millionaire residents, just a working boy. Luckily earning enough to cover the surgery, though.

Petrol may be a bit cheaper but a one bedroom flat costs well in excess of £100,000 and I've got two daughters!

That's why I needed the op to be successful, so I can get back to work and earn the deposits for them!

Andy

nharsh

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »
Hello Danny! I am new on here as well. I can relate to you because I am 31 and having similar problems. It is harder and herder every day to get my shoes and socks on. If it weren't for the stroller I push with my 2 year old in I would not be able to walk much at all. I feel your pain. Check out my story if you want I just posted it today. Wish you well. Just remember to ask ask ask and do your research. Take care

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat