+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Hip story - Right BHR Dec 20  (Read 2013 times)

Doug

My Hip story - Right BHR Dec 20
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
First of all, thanks to Pat for putting this site together and to all who post here.  I found this site to be extremely helpful and comforting as I went through my journey.  I fully intended to post earlier and then with my progress but I became busy with recovery
I am 49 year old male who has been very competitive in sports since childhood.  Played lacrosse at the collegiate and club level for many years up until age 45.  Also very heavy golfer and tennis player.  Ran on the road for training for almost 30 years and gave it up about 3 years ago because I thought it was causing lower back issues (later to find out it was the hip all along).

About 4 years ago I thought I pulled a groin muscle playing tennis.  It was odd because it always bothered me after tennis but wasn't like a normal muscle injury that would stay with you all the time until healed.  I didn't think much of it for almost 3 years but I began avoiding tennis because every time I played I would be fine while I was playing but then I couldn't straighten up for 2-3 days afterward.  It was beginning to affect my golf so I pulled back pretty dramatically and even stopped altogether in Feb 2010 to be "healthy" for some golf events. 

A little over a year and a half ago I was finally diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip.  My orthopedist at the time said to take Advil (he doesn't do resurfacing).  I lived with it for some time as I began to research my options and as it became progressively more advanced.  Since I also had spurs I had trouble getting out of certain chairs where the leg would be hanging down (like a bar stool).  I would have to straighten the leg completely until it got out of the locked position before I could put any weight on it.
Anyway, through my research I became very comfortable with two things:  BHR and the anterior approach to surgery using a Hana table. 
I went to Dr Gregory Martin in Lake Worth, Florida in August this year and he said I was a great candidate for the BHR.  He also performs this surgery using the anterior approach and Hana table where the muscles are spread and not cut.  I went through the recommended cortisone shot because I could not schedule my surgery yet.  My mother was terminal and I did not want to be in the middle of post op recovery and have to fly.
Finally on December 20, 2010 I had a right BHR.  I have been amazed at the progress.  Other than in recovery where the pain was significant, I have had no arthritis pain and very minor post surgical pain.  They had me up on a walker the first day and since there is no cutting of the muscles in this approach, I did not have restrictions for bending and the elevated toilet seat.
The doctor and his assistant were great and the PT people were awesome.  I had trouble sleeping the first 2 weeks and I should have listened to the people recommending recliners.  After 2 weeks I was back to sleeping in my own bed.  I was off pain medication on the 3rd day post op and took it at night to help me sleep for the first month.  Now I only take before bed if my leg is tired.
For the first week I was on the walker and then went straight to walking after a trial run with the PT nurse.  I used a cane for about 2 more weeks at night going to the bathroom and when I went out in public to give people a heads up. 
By 2 weeks post op I was walking 2 miles.  In the beginning I felt like I was limping but most told me they didn't see it.  I was glad to see that it began to loosen up and go back to my normal stride as the hip flexor muscles loosened and strengthened.   I gradually worked this up to where I am doing 3-4 miles on most days.  I am also doing the recumbent bike and just yesterday got on the elliptical for the first time.  I am back to my normal preop weight training (upper body only) and also doing some chipping and putting for the past two weeks.
I still have stiffness in my hip but it is getting less and less.  Seems to be more pronounced in the morning or after sitting . 
The surgery and my recovery have been very smooth and I am very happy that I went forward with the surgery.  Tomorrow is my next appointment and I hope to be cleared to get into the pool for exercising and to start golfing again.
I will be waiting to try tennis until the doc gives me full clearance but I am anxiously waiting to play.  Especially now that the Australian Open is on.
This site and talking to some people who have gone through the experience has been invaluable.  Thanks to all who helped make my decision easier
Good luck to anyone going through the research and surgery.  I hope you have as good an experience as I have so far!
Right BHR December 20, 2010 Dr. Gregory Martin

hernanu

Re: My Hip story - Right BHR Dec 20
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »
Thanks for your post, it helped me when I was doing research and nervous and all to read the progressions that folks have gone through.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Doug

Re: My Hip story - Right BHR Dec 20
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
Monday was 7 weeks and I have played 6 rounds (18 holes) of golf in the past week and a half.  Hip feels fine while swinging and stamina has been fine.  Now I just have to work my way back into playing like I was before the surgery and get used to the fact that my back and hip don't hurt during and after playing!

Still icing once or twice a day.  Feels good especially in the evening.  Everythign progressing well.
Right BHR December 20, 2010 Dr. Gregory Martin

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat