+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swelling, how bad does it get?  (Read 3894 times)

AlanN

Swelling, how bad does it get?
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
Ok I'm only 3 days since my BHR and just wondering what sort of swelling to expect from the operated leg?

Everything seems fine but my operated leg (down to the knee, wearing DVT stockings) is very swollen.
Not hot or red, just about twice the size of my non-operated leg?

Normal or too much?

Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

halfdone

Re: Swelling, how bad does it get?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »
Hi Alan, some fat leg is normal.  As I type this my laptop laptop is badly tilted to the left. 

However, IMHO I think you are experiencing quite a lot of swelling, possibly because you're doing superman post-op PT.  I suggest that you look on the site for suggestions to help - probably elevation, toe and ankle moving to promote circulation, maybe ice, maybe slow down a little on the standing/walking PT, maybe a touch more anti-inflammatory painmeds.  Of course call in for advice from the hospital/surgeon.  I'm experiencing less swelling than last time, maybe because different protocols like the "squeezy boots" may have helped.  I expect the main thing for you is to monitor to make sure there's no infection as the fat leg will otherwise subside with encouragement and time.

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »
Completely normal. I was swollen on my left side of my body for at least a week and the leg stayed swollen for awhile. I had the squeezy things, etc. in the hospital and did everything right. I am a small person though so it was more noticeable on me than someone larger, but don't worry, I am sure everything is fine. If you are in doubt, ask your doc.

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »
Lots of ice and keep it elevated for as long as you can.

You can also mark your thigh and measure at the marks to see if it's going down or not, if it does not look likes it's going down in a day or so for sure call your doc, elevating usually helps swelling.

As others have said, swelling is quite normal.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

AlanN

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »
Thanks all.

I did fully expect swelling but not quite so much!

Also I probably did overdo it quite a bit the first two days, I couldn't believe how mobile I was.
Going to take it very easy for a couple of days no I'm home :)
Alan

littleb

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
When I came home I was glad I had really loose sweats. One cheek looked like it could use a different pant size. Ice, Ice, baby. It goes down pretty fast, just a little shocking at first.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
It was about 4 weeks before I could comfortably wear any shreddies because of the swelling! Simply had to go commando till the swelling subsided - bit of a shock for the security guys who insisted on doing a body search on the way home, via Gatwick airport.

andy

AlanN

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »
It was about 4 weeks before I could comfortably wear any shreddies because of the swelling! Simply had to go commando till the swelling subsided - bit of a shock for the security guys who insisted on doing a body search on the way home, via Gatwick airport.

andy

heheh love to have seen their faces Andy ;)

I have an old pair of baggy shorts which I am wearing all the time, along with the TED stockings and scruffy old trainers it's amusing the boys in the pub ;)

Swelling is subsiding slowly mainly due to lots of elevation.
How does one ice such a large area or do you just ice the area over the incision?
Alan

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
I would ice the hip area.  Have you measured the leg to see how much the swelling has gone down?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

AlanN

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
Hi Chuck,
it seems ti be going down slowly but surely although the more time I spend on my feet it swells again although not as much.
Will start icing today methinks ;)
Alan

pwhite12

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »
Andy,
I know I'm a bit late picking up on this thread, but I had the same level of swelling on my operating leg. I found that a bit of rest and elevation helped. The swelling subsided after about 4-5 days.

You must be due to have your staples out this week?

Paul.

AlanN

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
Andy,
I know I'm a bit late picking up on this thread, but I had the same level of swelling on my operating leg. I found that a bit of rest and elevation helped. The swelling subsided after about 4-5 days.

You must be due to have your staples out this week?

Paul.

Hi Paul,
had the staples out late last week, swelling now no more an issue, still a little but mostly gone.

Everything's going really well.

How's your recovery going?
You must only have 10 days or so until your check with Mr Keene?
Alan

FlbrkMike

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
Seven days after my second BHR the pain and stiffness have improved immensely.  It's been a little more difficult than my first one, but the doctor warned me that he had to work harder to get the acetabular cup seated correctly.

I had very little swelling after my first procedure, but my biggest problem now is swelling.  If I sit at my desk for more than an hour or so my lower thigh starts swelling.  I haven't measured it or anything but it's obvious by the way it feels when I stand or bend my knee.  I have a 6" bed wedge and if I go lie down with my cold pack and my foot elevated it always goes away after a while.  There must be some fluid in there that just migrates down to that location if I'm at all vertical.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »

Sounds like two things I was curious about at once - underwear (which I assume is what shreddies are) and airports (though I hadn't thought of them together!)  I kind of gathered that underwear may be a little uncomfortable for a while and have purchased loose shorts instead and I haven't quite figured out how to deal with the airport at Christmas time when we go on holidays - I figure I might have a test run before then though :)  With so many people with joint replacements/resurfacing surely it should be a common thing they deal with - just not sure at all ages though - I get some strange looks when I talk about the upcoming op.  Would be curious to know how others deal with airports... do you try to tell them before you go through the detector?  Do you always beep?

Ok I'm only 3 days since my BHR and just wondering what sort of swelling to expect from the operated leg?

Wow - home at 3 days?  I'm supposed to be in for about two weeks - it might be because I am getting both done at once and it's BMHR's not a BHR's, but even so, 3 days sounds like you have had pretty impressive progress so far :) 

Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

JMS

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
Re the question about beeping at airports. Yes, I always beep except in one little Caribbean airport where I guess the scanner wasn't so sensitive.  Funnily enough when they start going over me more carefully with the wand, often that doesn't beep.  One airport security guard tried to convince me that my surgery must be on the other side because he wasn't getting a beep from the operated side.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat