+-

Advertisements

Return to Surface Hippy Main Website  https://surfacehippy.info

Author Topic: Bilateral in Ireland  (Read 2958 times)

jamie b

Bilateral in Ireland
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:47:26 AM »
Hi -  my name is James, I am a 44 year old from Ireland. I have been in trouble for about twelve years with both hips. My big problem was the pain in the lower back. Over time a curve developed in my back, which caused me a lot of pain. I used to play a lot of golf, but I had to give this up, as the pain I had afterwards was unbelievable. Basically if I played golf, I would be in pain for five to six days afterwards, which really meant that it wasnít worth it anymore! In the end I could barely walk, everybody was commenting on my limp, in both hips!

I tried everything, cortisone injections into the back, physio, chiropractors, you name it I tried it. Everyone kept telling me that the problem was in my back, and that my hips were ok! I did have an MRI done on my hips, but it didnít show up anything, that MRi was about ten years ago.
 Eventually in July 2010 I had another MRI done on my hips and lower back in the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry! This time the MRI showed that my lower back was ok, but that both hips were totally gone, destroyed by Avascular  Necrosis . I was gone beyond resurfacing, so I needed two new hips. I chatted with my surgeon, and we decided on Ceramic on Ceramic, because of my age!

I had my first hip done on 20th September  2010, and the second one on the 10th of January 2011, just over four weeks ago. Both operations went well, I was dreading them, but they went ok. I had an epidural for both, with a light sedative as well, which ensured that I didnít wake up during the operations.

Its now been just over four weeks since my second operation and I am recovering well. Actually I seemed to recover quicker after the second operation, no bruising or swelling like the first time, and also the pain afterwards was ok.

I have a few questions though!

(1) I would like to know about this curve in the back, did anyone here experience that, and if so, did they recover afterwards! I am hoping that when I get back walking that the muscles in my back should get stronger, and this pain should go away. Or do I need a lot of physio to sort out this problem???

(2)After my first operation my right hip recovered really well, I was walking about three miles a day, there was no pain in the hip at all. I felt really good, looking forward to doing my second hip ( the left one). My question is...now that I have done the second hip ( left hip), I seem to be getting a slight pain in my right hip again. Is this normal? I am walking about a mile a day, but I find a slight pain in my right hip both during and after the walk! Is this from the fact that there is probably more weight on my right hip now that the left one is done! Any ideas??

If anyone wants to ask me any questions about my experience, I have no problem in sharing my experience of both operations and the recovery period afterwards! Its been four weeks now since my second operation, I never thought I would be at this stage, I hope to make a full recovery and get back to my golf, walking and cycling real soon. I am just hoping that my back will recover as well!

James

Lopsided

Re: Bilateral in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
1.) With your hips having put your back under stress for years, you might need some PT back and abdominal strengthening exercises.

2.) You have just been through two big operations and are still healing. Make sure you keep doing the hip PT.

Er, so, my reply to both your questions is ... PT

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
PT will definitely help strengthen your back and hip muscles. Your right hip may be stronger than your left right now, and therefore you might be placing more of your weight on that side when you walk...have your PT watch you walk and correct any inconsistencies.

As far a a curve in the lower back. I had a left BHR done 3 months ago. Prior to the surgery, I had the curve in my lower back. My left hip was rotated and out of whack and I think that is what caused my back to curve. I had a bike crash in 2007 which led to AVN, which led to arthritis and all of my problems. I noticed my back starting to curve more and more as the hip got worse. After surgery, I now stand so much straighter without the exaggerated curve in my low back. Your PT can prescribe some great core strengthening and stretching exercises that will help you if you still have the curve.

jamie b

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

Thanks Guys for the helpful replies. i am starting PT next week, so i will see how that goes. I do a lot of exercises everyday, the usual hip exercises. I have a core strengthing programme which i got off a top physio here in ireland, which i will start as soon as i am able. This guy has worked with several Olympic medalists around the world so he really is top notch( very expensive as well)
  I am really interested in hearing other stories about the curve in the back, especially positive stories! I am also standing a lot straighter after my last operation, and i think that the curve is not as severe. Also a lot of people have told me ive lost weight, but the scales dont lie, its just that i am standing straighter!
             Thx again
                james

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:43:57 AM »
James,

People have told me I have lost weight as well and I haven't...as you said, scales don't lie. I am just standing taller!!!

June

jamie b

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »
Hi June

I am new to this site, I just joined this week! It was a pity I didn't know about it before my operations as I had so many questions! When did you have your operation? And was it a THR? Did you suffer with this curve in the back? I am definatly standing taller, but I still suffer with some back pain, I hope this gets better as I step up my Physio and core strength exercises!

jjmclain

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
I had my operation November 11th, a left BHR (not THR). I definitely had a curve to my lower back...it got progressively worse as my arthritis got worse. It is gone now and I can't believe how tall I am standing. At 5'2", I feel much taller!!! People say I look thinner but I am not!!! The scale doesn't lie! Let me know if you have any more questions.

jamie b

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
      Hi June

Did you suffer a lot of back pain with this curve? I had huge problems even walking especially up hill. I used to play a lot of golf
but i had to give it up, as i would have awful back pain for a couple of days afterwards. Even now after the two operations, i get back pain if i am sitting down too long. I hope it will go away when i start my back core exercises in a few weeks!
                James

Recent Posts

Re: 27 years old female hip resurfacing surgery by lizardly
July 28, 2020, 09:15:13 PM

Re: Doing Great 2-years Post Op! by suncag
July 26, 2020, 03:30:55 PM

Re: Doing Great 2-years Post Op! by Pat Walter
July 25, 2020, 03:16:08 PM

Doing Great 2-years Post Op! by suncag
July 25, 2020, 02:38:27 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats