+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfacing around va beach  (Read 3019 times)

pasinvabch

hip resurfacing around va beach
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »
hi, I'm new to this site( been reading for a couple of months) but i just had my second opinion with dr michael romash of cheasapeake, Va i was just wandering if anyone had him as a surgeon for this kind of procedure... he has done 55 in a 3 year period, with success in all 55, i guess by the standards of this website he is not done many?
I'm from Spain but I have been living here for 9 years and my husband is retired military...so yes we have tricare insurance..any input will be welcome. I'm very active (personal trainer/goup ex instructor and used to run 20 miles per week) now I cannot run at all....

Tin Soldier

Re: hip resurfacing around va beach
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »
I'm giving info back, since I gained a bunch from this website.  All I know is that many of the folks here have been researching this stuff and the surgeons for quite awhile.  Many of the top surgeons suggest 100 to 300 procedures to make a good surgeon.  Pat has some good info on this website for choosing a surgeon and you might take a look at that if you haven't already.  Sorry, I don't know of anyone near VA Beach.  I'm on the west coast.   However, a lot of folks here travel good distances to get a surgeon with lots of experience.  Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
I had my left hip resurfaced at Anderson Orthopedic in Mt. Vernon Virginia, just a few hours from where you are. My surgeon was Dr. Andy Engh, one of the best. I too am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor as well as a triathlete. I am 3 months post op now and doing fantastic. Dr. Andy Engh is listed on the website. They have two offices. I went to the Mt. Vernon office and had my surgery right there at Inova Mt. Vernon. Excellent and first class all the way. Let me know if you need more information.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that he is very experienced!!!! It would be well worth the trip for you.

pasinvabch

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Thanks to all that replied.
jjmclain are you back to work?  I was reading about the post op and I guess everyone s different? There is so much info out there, is overwhelming... what kind of restrictions do you have,,and for how long?, what approach did he use (anterior, posterior)
I will look into the other doctor as well  thanks
ps if you see a mistake in the language, sorry ESL(english as a second language)

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
I went back to work after the first of the year, so I took almost 7 weeks off. That was my doing to be precautionary and with the holidays, etc. I had 90 degree restriction for the first 4 weeks. I was on 2 crutches for 3 weeks with 50% weightbearing, then 1 crutch for 1 week and then I was told to go off of them. Of course there are still limitations until I go back for my 4 month appt at the end of March. But I know what I can and can't do and my body tells me! As far as running, I will find out at 4 months when that will be allowed, either 6 or 12 months I assume. Dr. Engh is very conservative though so he may say 12 months.

By the way, he takes TriCare. My husband is military and we have tricare prime. I got a referral from my physician for orthopedics, they referred me out, and since Engh was in the network and was accepting new patients, Healthnet switched the referral to their office. With tricare, they will also send a home nurse for the first week and also home PT, and then tricare covers PT after that.Let me know if you have other questions.

siamac

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
If you are in Virginia, you are close enough to go to Sinai Hospital in Baltimore and Dr. Michael Mont (I went all the way from Boston in 2006). He is a perfectionist and the hospital provide great care, plus he must have done several thousends by now. Best.

Tarhoo2

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
I also had BHR's by Dr. Andy Engh of Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic at the Inova Mount Vernon Joint Replacement Center in Alexandria. LBHR was done 12/07 and RBHR was done 4/08. As I recall, at the time Dr. Andy had done about 100 HR's. My experiences with Dr. Andy, AOC (and their research institute, through which I am participating in a long-term study of BHR's), Inova Mount Vernon, the nurses and physical therapists and the entire process were excellent. Three years since I had my BHR's done and I couldn't be happier or more satisfied. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about Dr. Andy, AOC and Inova Mount Vernon. Whatever you decide to do, best wishes; it will change your life and you'll be happy you did it.

tcarroll

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
I had a BHR done on May 7 2010 in Va.Bch General by Dr. Peter Jacobson of Virginia Institute for Sport's Medicine.I am doing fine so far.I work in the Electrical Utility Industry and it is doing fine so far.He is an Excellent Dr. and person.Top Knotch.

jim1947

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

I had a hip resfacing done by Dr. Romash in November 2008. I just went back to him for my two-year check. He said the implant looked exactly the same as the day he put it in. He did a great job and now I have no pain and 100% mobility. I realized the other day that I now move around without thinking of my hip. As we all know, that is a big thing. I do about 2 miles, three time per week on the treadmill and that is all I intend to do. I was very conservative in my recovery. For one thing I had a very hard early recover (don't like Chesapeake Hospital), and logically it seemed to me the longer I waited to put any significant stress on the implant, the longer time it would have to set and have bone grow around the implant. I've read many post here about how people are up walking and cycling almost right away, but decided that was not the way to go.
Dr. Romash is a very precise kind of guy and very conservative. I think part of my early recovery problems were because he made a much larger incision than I think many more experienced surgeons do. But, it appears he got the right angle on the head and the cup, which is why I think I am doing so well now. At any rate, my experience with Dr. Romash was very good. He's a bit cocky, but I suppose when someone can back it up, that is not a bad thing. Good luck on choosing a surgeon.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear