+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Abductor movements  (Read 2761 times)

einreb

Abductor movements
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Any idea why abductor exercises are not suggested (generalization) until the 6 week point?  I feel so strong, except for that.  I'd like to work on them, but I don't want to do it if it does more harm than good at the 2 week point.

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

FlbrkMike

Re: Abductor movements
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
It could be your particular case, or possibly your surgeon's preference, or both.

In my case they had me doing some very easy abductor exercises the day after surgery, that is, while lying on my back I would move my left foot (operated side) out to the side as far as possible, and then back.  Second day I started doing standing hip abduction.  Pretty much all of what they show on the top half of this page:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00303

I'm now also doing the "clam".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:23:35 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:22 AM »
Me too.  I couldn't do much, but they wanted me doing abductors (heel slides out to the side with straight leg, on back) the day after surgery. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
Abductors and external rotators take the longest to come back. They will...just takes time.

einreb

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
Dr Gross's office gave me an emphatic NO to any of those exercises.  It may be specific to my situation though.  She told me we will work on that at the 6 week point and the strength will come. 

I'm already feeling a little more strength there.  I can lay on my side without that dead weight/leg feeling.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
Every doc probably has a slight variation in how they think rehab should go...I can't say I have anything against a more conservative approach like Dr. Gross where he keepsit really basic for six weeks.  I'll do what he says.....

I'm sticking to those basic exercises.  I have to admit though, they are already pretty easy for me and I'm at day 9 post op.  Where I really need help is leg lifts.  If i am in bed and needed to raise my leg, I can't do it, nor do I really want to .  I'm nervous.."I usually use my arms, grab my knee, and physically lift my leg...when i do that it sometimes hurts a bit...not sure why....but I kmow that is an area I really need to work on...but I guess it will be a while before i do those.....
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
I'm nervous..

You're preaching to the choir.  I don't really even get to 'test' my hip walking with a cane for another 26 days.  Not that I'm counting.  ;)

Quite frankly, it scares me I'm going to go 6 weeks babying this thing per instructions and come to find out the cup or cap is loose.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
Sean,
I think lifting the leg without aid is one of the hardest moves after surgery, maybe the hardest.

I am doing Phase II exercises which we get from Dr. Gross after 6 weeks. They include standard leg lifts. They are very hard for me to do because I really feel it in the front of the thigh. It is somewhat painful lowering the leg after the lift. I hate them, but I know it is so important to do them. I too think about "hurting" something.

Don't get discouraged, you are only a little over 1 week post op. My legs were the same as yours. I needed help lifting them in and out of bed or the car. I realize I had two done, but I'm sure even moving that one is like moving a log at times. You will notice the strength coming back soon. As the control returns, it is a good feeling because independence is returning.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

maxi

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
im nearly 4 weeks out now and have done abductor exercises every day (bar the 1st after op).. im now able to lift my leg 200 mm off bed and move sideways (out) for  20 reps. i do this 3 times a day as well as using the rubber strap on ankle when standing up for the same reps.
keep at it and you will get stronger is my advice ..

seems we do things a bit different down under (aus) ...
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »
It is interesting reading the different rehab procedures of the different docs. We should follow the instructions we were given by them. Like einreb said, our exercises may be specific to our situation. In the end our hip(s) will be strong again.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Doesn't Dr. Gross use the uncemented femoral component?  Perhaps he has a more conservative approach for the first 6 weeks to give the bone a chance to knit.  Just a thought...

My doctor gave me basically no restrictions out the hospital door, whatever I could physically bear, except for no impact, no crossing the centerline and 120 degree flexion limit.  Maybe he uses a really good brand of super glue. 
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Lopsided

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:44:46 AM »
Doesn't Dr. Gross use the uncemented femoral component?  Perhaps he has a more conservative approach for the first 6 weeks to give the bone a chance to knit.  Just a thought...

I got uncemented by Dr. De Smet, as opposed to Dr. Gross, but there were no additional restrictions compared top the cemented patients. Uncemented is 'press fit', and you are good to go 100% load bearing as soon as you can get out of bed. Was doing abduction exercises from day two on.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

halfdone

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:14 AM »
seems we do things a bit different down under (aus) ...

I had an aussie PT in the hospital.  Day 2 I was reaching for the crutches to go for a walk and she said "you don't need those" in a mildly disapproving tone and got me a cane.

By day 6 she had me do a triathlon and week 2 climbing Everest.  ;) ;D

Whether tortoise (first op) or hare (second op) I believe the Ps will get us where we want to be (protocol, patience, persistence, PT) :)

23109VC

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
I'm nervous..

You're preaching to the choir.  I don't really even get to 'test' my hip walking with a cane for another 26 days.  Not that I'm counting.  ;)

Quite frankly, it scares me I'm going to go 6 weeks babying this thing per instructions and come to find out the cup or cap is loose.

Domt think like that, it will just get you down.  I am no expert, but figure we go to experienced doctors who know how to put this stuff in, and the statistics are on our side. The odds of that happening is extremely low!

Stay optimistic!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
I can honestly say that at this point... it sort of sucks.  I'm trying to keep it in perspective, but right now my job is to 'not do anything' and that's a bit counter intuitive to my personality.

In 11 days, I can slowly progress to putting weight on my leg.  That is something for me to focus on and I'll then have a job to do. :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat