+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: total hip problems from resurfacing problems  (Read 2474 times)

jjiam

total hip problems from resurfacing problems
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Ok maybe i can throw this out there and someone can help.  I am so frustrated i don't know where to put myself.  I had a resurfacing that was painful, but then I had no problems until the metal plate on my femur head came loose.  Since that was the case I had to go to a full hip replacement.  Now im 7 months out, and am having pain, walking, standing are the worst, sitting not so bad, and in bed I cant lay on my back, my hip starts hurting.  So my hip doctor that did the surgery ordered an MRI of my lower back, and cat scan of my hip(since mri wouldnt work cause of the metal) anyways results came back, they say there is no evidence of dislocation, but one of the acetabular screws extends superiorly through the bony cortex posteriorly.  This extends into the gluteus minimus muscle.  Also several foci of heterotopic bone were present acetablular side othe hip join soft tissues laterally. Anyway I'm not sure, cause I called the doctor up and the nurse said my next appointment was July 19th, I said what? she said IF the doctor gets the scans and thinks there is something wrong he contacts you.  What the hell, can a doctor do a surgery and do it wrong and then just let you in pain I dont get it, if anyone could help or have information that could help, I would appreciate it.

obxpelican

Re: total hip problems from resurfacing problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
First, why did the femoral head come loose, did he give you an idea of why?

Second, I would run, NOT walk and get a 2nd opinion of another experienced doctor, threes a charm but I would never give the doctor a 3rd shot to blow it.

Don't stay in pain, this can be fixed.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jjiam

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
They never said why the femoral cap came looose.  But for one little screw up(lol) I am in alot of pain.  It is feasible for a screw to give me that much pain, or is something else wrong, they said the cat scan isnt quite as good as an mri.

John C

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
Like we always say, none of us on this site are doctors, and so we can't, or at least shouldn't, give medical advice.
However, here are some thoughts from one layman to another:
It does not make any sense to wait until July if you are in pain now, especially since the CT scan showed some addressable issues. It would make a lot of sense to take all of your scans to another doctor, in order to see if he cannot suggest a more immediate course of action.
If, as described in the CT reading, the head of one of the screws is extending through the bone and into the gluteus minimus muscle, this would seem like a very likely source of pain in walking and standing, since the gluteus minimus muscle is one of the main stabilizing muscles around the hip that is used in walking and standing. I know that if I had the end of a screw extending into that muscle, it would hurt like hell every time that muscle moved or contracted in order to stand or walk. To this layman, it would seem that this could be corrected, but it would require another surgery to get in and move that screw.
I agree with Chuck. My layman's opinion is that you should get yourself and your scans to another doctor for a second opinion as soon as possible.
Better luck from here on out.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
I haven't had my surgery yet (scheduled for 4/20/11 with Dr. Gross) and have no personal experience with post-op problems, but I have to agree with Chuck.  You need to go see another experienced and competent doctor.  A screw extending into one of your gluteal muscles????  Obviously, that has to be very painful and must mean something is wrong!  
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
I agree, don't takemthe run around from your doctor.  See another one.  See more than one if you can.  At the very least can hour doc prescribe a pain killer to ease some of the pain until you can get this fixed.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.  It was a lot of mental stress, worrying, etc for me to get through my resurfacing surgery.  It must have been devastating to find outnyou needed a revision, and then to think you may Ned another surgery.. How are you coping with the stress?

On a side note, I didnt know screws were still used..I just assumed all thevacetabular components were now press fit..
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »
Screws are used in acetabular cups in certain situations. I'm no doctor, but it depends on the condition of the bone or if the surgery is due to trauma such as a broken pelvis. A screw protruding through the bone into the muscle is insane. Your surgeon knows he/she messed up.

jjiam,

I feel so bad for you. But you have to get this taken care of. Get away from this doctor and see one of the top surgeons. There are a few who will look at your scans and give a diagnosis and not charge a fee. Don't be intimidated by there status as big name docs.  As a matter of fact, they are really in to fixing what incompetent surgeons messed up and they're brilliant at it. Your situation can be corrected, I'm sure. I wish you well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:07:35 AM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
Newdog is right... See one of the big names.  Dr. Gross will do free phone consults...you just fill out his patient forms which are online, and send him digital copies of your X-rays. 

I'm sure there are others too.  Dr. Schmalzried is in Los Angeles, Dr. Ball in San Diego...check the dr list for others who may be closer, but you can't go wrong trying to simultaneously consult with several and see what they say.  They may have varying opinions, or you may discover a consensus....and you will have some certainty regarding how to correct it.

Good luck!  Hang in there!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz