+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best recovery pastimes?  (Read 4447 times)

halfdone

Best recovery pastimes?
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
So there you are back home, sitting on the couch, leg iced and elevated, whiling away the time until your next round of PT or shuffle around the block.  What best to do with all this time?  Catch up on movies and shows on DVD? plug into the ipod? finally read "War and Peace"? take on the world (or at least Sean and Bernie) in Call of Duty? become a concert pianist like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day?  Best ideas???

(Here's a tip for family sanity - wireless headphones for the TV.  Perfect if your endless quests on Asassin's Creed or Call of Duty Black Ops are driving your wife crazy and stopping your kids from doing homework.)

Lopsided

Re: Best recovery pastimes?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
Walk! At least as much as you can. Read. See your family. Avoid your family. Work out how you are going to get back to work.

Time goes quick enough.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
Well said Lop, the important thing is NOT to become a couch potatoe post-op, you must get out and walk and do your excercises.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »
Small walks.  Read.  Telly.  Snooze.   ;D
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:49:20 AM »
I had grand plans of things I put off for too long. Go through the drawers in my night stand and sort out the junk. Go through the huge box of family photos and organize them. View old VHS tapes to see if anything is worth keeping. I didn't do any of that.

What I did do was TV. Read. Look at useless stuff on the internet. (Useful stuff too.) And of course nap. Got into a routine with the post op exercises and walking. It all worked out.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

chris finn

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
Call of Duty...on the pc of course  ;)

read books..Ive read over 15 since coming out of hospital  :o

watch tv...Ive got into Monk..I love it  ;D

search for a new job on line....just me then huh !?!!?  ;) ;D

......oh...and walk, exercise and sleep.

BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
I got a Kindle, best thing since sliced bread. I just pull down books no matter when or where. If you're trying to relax on the bed, this is really convenient.

Stationary Bycicle. Best way to get you hips moving.

Bluray player.

Paint (or something creative).

TV has been great.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
My Kindle got a pretty good workout, even in the hospital.

The DVR got a lot of use too.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
I do play call of duty, but I can only handle an hour or so a day....I don't sit on the couch and play all day.  My 9 year old son would play all day if I let him...but he is only given limited video game access on weekends!

Call of duty is fun, but it would be crazy to do it all day....

I've tried to take small walks, relax, watch some tv, check email, surf the web... 

All those little jobs that require you to be really physically fit can't get dome...fix the
Landscape lights, organize stuff in the garage...I can't do that stuff yet...the bending down, being on your knees..that would be awful!

Reading is good.  I downloaded some books.  I also brought work home..I have a paper pusher job and I can bring it home...funny how none of that has been touched!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »
No Call of Duty for me, I finished Ratchet and Clank, Tools of Destruction (I know, it's kinda young) and I tried to finish Metroid Prime Corruption on the Wii, but the stupid boss fight at the end took forever.  I played a little fiddle, hoping that I could be as good as Natalie MacMaster in 2 weeks, yeah right.  I did fix the weather stripping on the back door the second day back from the hospital and I also dragged a wagon-full of firewood across the back yard that same day.  I figured, just won't use the gimpy leg, you've got 3/4 of a body to use.   Maybe not such a good idea though, but it was interesting to be in a disabled state and really understand what it's like to be disabled.  Kind of makes you think a little.  I watched the Food Network a lot and I blogged and spent some time here. 

Also, sat too long sometimes and didn't do enough exercises.       
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

23109VC

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:05:17 AM »
Another thing I did while home was to go through my computer and organize photos and videos.....if you're like me and have kids...you have lots of pics....another thing I did was buy a spare narrative and backed my stuff up.

I'm considering an online backup service too..... I should have done this a long time ago....but finally am addressing it mow.  It is mice to feel that my kids pics are safe...it would take one burglar, fire, or hard drive crash to ruin them all.

Lots of online services will backup unlimited personal dar a for about $60 per year or so.  A 1 TB hard drive at Costco, walmart, etc is about. $100...  Cheap peace of mind.

Sean

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
I have surgery in 6 days in DC. I am planning on xbox live - Gears of War, Netflix and Zune should keep me busy. If u don't have xbox live, get it.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

23109VC

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
Just don't play that dancing game !! 
Sean

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone