+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: March 17th is a week away - Oh boy!  (Read 4241 times)

hipnhop

March 17th is a week away - Oh boy!
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHH  Never had to stay in the hospital. I got to plan a jailbreak. Right after the surgery I am going to steal a wheelchair and head out the back. Let them just try to catch me. Has anyone "no"t had to spend the night in the hospital?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

FlbrkMike

Re: March 17th is a week away - Oh boy!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
The hospital really isn't so bad once you get all the tubes removed.  You get breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed.  You get TV with remote control.  They bring drugs for you and make sure you take them.  They'll even help you get up and get back on your feet.

At the hospital I was at (and will be again tomorrow) the main criterion for release is that you can get up and go to the john without any help.  For me that was the second day after surgery.  The first day you may feel like you want to leave, but you really don't.

Oh, and good luck!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:02:23 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
They'll catch you. Let's face it, those wheelchairs aren't built for speed, and if you ask for a racing type they'll be onto you. So take your medicine (literally), do what the nice PT person says and nobody gets hurt (especially you). You'll be out of the slammer in no time (two days for me).

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
You stay in the hospital for about 2 1/2 days and you DO NOT get a wheelchair.  You normally get crutches and you learn to walk with them and do stairs.  You need to be in the hospital for the pain meds for a day or so and to be watched after major surgery.  You don't want a blood clot, terrible pain or infection - so stay in the hospital like you are suppose to do.  Pick one of the best resurfacing surgeons and they use the very best hospitals.  Don't pick a local yocal surgeon operating out of a small non-orthopedic hospital.  I was on one crutch after leaving the hospital, no meds except Advil and sight seeing in Belgium 5 days post op.  Everyones recovery is different. Some people need a lot of meds and others don't.  You don't have much control over pain.  go with the program and play it safe.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
Thanks Pat, Mike and Hernanu, you lightened the load. Have my final meet with surgeon.  I am getting house ready, plans made and escape plans made. Ill keep u updated.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
Maybe it depends on the hospital.  Once I got the catheter out, I was pretty happy being in the hospital.  The facility  was only 3 years old and totally dedicated to orthopaedic surgery recovery.  I was quite happy and comfortable there.  The ride home (6 hours in a car in rain and snow) was another story. 

Good luck, you'll be fine.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »
One thing I really appreciated about the hospital was the bed.  

Even though my wife wasn't in it, it was nice because I could raise the head and the knees.  It really helps when you have a hard time getting comfortable.

The catheter is another story...I'm just glad I was "under" when they put it in.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:58:52 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Put in a request for naughty nurses and you won't mind the stay.... Hahahaha....

Seriously, the hospital stay goes by fast.  My hospital had good food, nice staff, and if you have a spouse with you, they can be with you much of the time.  Bring a laptop, iPad, etc, to help pass the rest of the time.  I have never stayed the night in a hospital before, and honestly, I thought it was fine.  I wa anxious to get home, but don't stress about being there a night or two.  It will be fine.

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
My bedroom is upstairs. I don't know whether to set up a twin bed on the first foor - I have a full bath on both floors.  It is only 12 steps up and I have been using crutches for five months so I am used to climbing stairs with them.  What did u do in regards to sleeping when u got home from hospital. I have toilet seat, grabber, cane and enough percocet to down an elephant.  I live alone but my son will be home from coll3ege and staying with me for a week.   

Advice?

maxi

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »
get some pre cooked meals done ... 

raise anything u will need up to an easy height to access ..

what about a shower chair and a shower head on a hose . u will appreciate that i can assure u ..and being able to get at the soap and shampoo easlily ...

even stuff in the fridge like milk etc, make sure u can get to anything u need easily, plates, cups, toilet paper, anything u use everyday.

dvd etc within reach ..

good luck .. hope this helps ..

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »
My bedroom is upstairs and I crutched up and down...I actually think it is good for you to do that, just be very careful and go slowly after your surgery. My stairs are carpeted too, but I had no problems. It made for a change of scenery having to go up and down! I carried a bag over my shoulder with things I needed, including my grabber!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 02:01:20 PM »
Agreed on the stairs.  You got the HR for a reason, to stay active, within the limits provided by your surgeon and PT of course.   I think stairs with good railings is probably a good thing.  Also, my raised toilet seat can be placed in the shower.  Never used it that way, but you could if you needed to.

I had a shoulder bag, too.  Used for getting firewood from the back yard about 3 days post-op.  I had a hard time staying still, so it was nice to have a tool like that to carry stuff.  A little awkward with crutches, though. 

My family went off to school and work the day I got home from the hospital, so I was pretty much on my own and it wasn't too bad.  Had lots of food in the fridge, it was close to the easy chair.  Just go slow and be methodical when carrying things and such.  I did break a coffee mug while trying to carry with crutches.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I am getting more anxious by the day. Doesn't help.that I have general anxiety disorder.  I always play worst case scenarios over and over.  Doc said stop taking zoloft a week before surgery.  I am really going to be going through it now. 

I know that the pain I will feel will be nothing like the pain I am experi3ecing now. For the past 5 months I can't walk without crutxhes.  I try but am forced to stop and hop on one leg till I get to the car.

I am trying to figure out what anethesia I should use.  I went under for a ortoscopy procedure and did not enjoy the feeling of having the tube down my throat. Felt lik3e I had a bad cold for months.

What anethesia did u use.

maxi

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
i had general. no prob, my surgery was a bit longer than usual as my acetabular was nearly non existent and needed extra attention ...

woke up fine ..

good luck ..
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
Hip,

I would go for the spinal, you wake up without any tubes, you feel like you just had a great nap.  Some people have issues waking up after a general and you will not feel that well for a couple days.

IMHO.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
I agree with Chuck on the spinal. I don't know how they do it, but it's as though nothing even happened in the way of anethesia. I felt absolutely nothing. Except for some numbness in the operated leg after surgery, there is no sign or feeling anywhere. Even the numbness did not last long. There is not even any feeling of a needle going in when it is started. ???
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

DakotaDocMartin

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
I'd say the worst part of the whole ordeal was the crappy hospital food.  Such items as steamed toast (what happens when you slather margarine on toast, put it on a heated plate and put a lid over it), and strained cream soup could be put to military use in place of water boarding as far as I'm concerned. ;D

I did a bunch of worrying over what turned out to be nearly nothing at all.

I think you'll say the same thing when the time comes.
"Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas"
Left BHR - 02-09-2011 - Dr. David Palmer

hipnhop

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
Dakota, thanks dude. I know you're right. It's just reading all this stuff puts some fear in a person. As for food, I am sneaking in some stuff. In addition, my Hospital is close to Downtown DC where many of my friends work. I am sending out a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu.

I am going with the epidural and light sedative.  I don't want to be put under plus I am going to listen to some Jams Brown - "Get on up."  I know that may not be your style. Did you listen to any funky Country tunes?  Lol
Ed

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »
My bedroom is upstairs. I don't know whether to set up a twin bed on the first foor - I have a full bath on both floors.  It is only 12 steps up and I have been using crutches for five months so I am used to climbing stairs with them.  What did u do in regards to sleeping when u got home from hospital. I have toilet seat, grabber, cane and enough percocet to down an elephant.  I live alone but my son will be home from coll3ege and staying with me for a week.   

Advice?

A week of help is more than enough IMO (I live alone as well). I have a single floor apartment, so that wasn't an issue. Like suggested, some pre-cooked meals are good, and anything you want to reach easily initially should be in the front of the fridge. Toilet paper rolls where you can reach them for replacements, I made sure I put all of my chargers (cell phone, kindle, etc. ) on the kitchen counter so I could easily reach them. Ice packs in place, and a footrest to keep my leg elevated. My grabber was priceless, as was my sock putter onner (name?), especially for the TED socks. Make sure all your prescriptions are filled before your son leaves.

I have a laundry machine in the apartment, so this was great, but if not, make arrangements with someone or a service for laundry. I have a universal remote for my electronics, so this was key to be able to do everything without clambering up. Make sure a land line phone is reachable in case your cell phone battery is out. Buy plenty of fruit / etc, since you'll need energy if you're doing PT.

I also found a cup of water by the bed for hydration, and a towel, for me to lay down on the bed, since I had trouble with night sweats for the first few weeks both times I had surgery (gone once I got off Tylenol).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

susandarn

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
Am at week 4 today! Never liked hospitals at all!!! never stayed in a hospital except for giving birth (and never stayed more than one night) Dr. Gross did my surgery with a spinal. I agree with all of the other comments~ I went to sleep and then I woke up. That was it. I had surgery on a Monday, went and stayed in the hotel Tuesday afternoon, my husband drove me 17 hours home early Wednesday morning. (did stay in a hotel 1/2 way) It was not what I would call fun  :-\ but wasn't really that bad at all. I imagine that it won't be nearly as bad as you anticipate. Wishing you the best!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat