+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurface with Dr. Gross - what are the physical restrictions?  (Read 2019 times)

Dayton96

I spent part of last night playing catch and pitching to my eight-year-old.  One of the questions he asked on the way home was how soon after my surgery would I be able to play catch with him again.  I've always assumed that I would be back pitching and catching with him at least six weeks (if not sooner) after my March 23 surgery.  I thought Dr. Gross eased most restrictions by six weeks, with a 50 pound lifting restriction for six months, and then after six months, anything goes, including running. 

Recently though, one of Dr. Gross' patients mentioned that he was told not to ride a bike for six months.  There have also been a comments about how the femoral head is vulnerable at month four after the surgery.  I was wondering what Dr. Gross has told some of his more recent patients about physical activities six weeks, four months, and six months after surgery?

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

obxpelican

Re: Resurface with Dr. Gross - what are the physical restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »
6 weeks, 90 degree rule.  Up to 6 months, no biking (except stationary) lifting restrictions up to 50#s, no high impact sports I think up to a year???  PT is voluntary, he does give a script if you insist.  He likes lots of walking.

Apparantly Dr. Gross feels that up to 6 months your femoral head is at most risk. 

The only sport I play now is golf, I don't include water skiing as a sport though.  I golfed at about 9 or 10 weeks out, walked much of the course.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

einreb

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
I'm at week 3.5 on the slow recovery program and am pretty sure I could stand there for a bit and play catch and pitch. :)  You should be able to do it the first week since you would be weight bearing.

My understanding of the issue is that the hip neck is at its weakest point at 3 months.  The fractures typical happen due to small micro fractures that get a bit worse and then build up and become real fractures.  The idea is that you want to take it easy on the impact activities to avoid the fracture, but stay active to promote the impact that is good for bone health and growth.

If you go to his website under forms, you will see the phase 2 for hip resurfacing that will explain what  you can and can't do.

I think that  the restriction on real biking is based on the concern for falling up until the 6 month point.  I'll be on the bike trainer at 10 weeks.  You  should be able to get on one at 6 weeks on the normal recovery protocol.  I also suspect that I will be on my bike before the 6 month part.  I ride 4-5000 miles a year and have a decent sense of the risk/reward for that activity.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

23109VC

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
I would think you could play catch sooner than six weeks...provided you don't really play fully.  I am 2.5 weeks post op and the other day I stood in the backyard and threw a baseball to my 9 year old.  I tossed them a very short distance, such that I did not even remotely involve any twisting...ifmje managed to throw tha ball directly back to me I would catch it.  If the ball was thrown wide, I just let it go and did not try to catch it. Essentially,I'm standing still moving my arms only....so it's nit really a true game of catch where I'm movingbaround...call it mire a game of toss with a one legged man... But it felt good to do it, even if it was restricted.

I was told not to lift anything over 50 lbs too.  My two small kids are under that, so I can pick them up.  My 9 year old is already big enough that picking him up is tough..so I domt even try.  

I think real pitching will ne out of the question for a while.  To really fire the ball with speed you need too much hip motion and body rotation.. Tossing it will be fine...fast and powerful throws or batting will probably be off limits.

When I met with dr. Gross je asked me what sports I wanted to play and told me when I could do them.  Bike 6 months.  Racquetball, 6 months.

He said I could do. A stationary bike sooner....I thinkit was six weeks but I'd have to double check my notes.....  Six months was the magic number for most activities.  One year was the number if it was high impact full contact stuff like hockey or things where you were going to really take hits....bit I don't play those...

Good luck.

I am limping a bit more now than I did preop, but I'm n less pain.  Overall, I think suffering with no sports or other similar activities for 6-12 months will be a small price to pay to get my life back!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

John C

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
I remember that I got the okay to be on the stationary bike by four weeks; even though I was still mostly on crutches at that point. No real motion restrictions after six weeks. His concern with biking outdoors has to do with the chance of falling, or needing to put your foot out hard to stop a fall. He allows skiing, and most other sports activities at six months, but encourages you to avoid hard impacts until one year. I could see you playing catch at six weeks, or possibly slightly earlier if you were exceedingly careful; just don't dive for the ball, or do any big windups. I know that between four and six weeks, I could have been in serious trouble if I had to really stretch out to catch a ball; not enough stability in the leg yet to support that kind of reach. I think that it is always worth reminding people that after many rebuilding surgeries, like joint or ligament replacements, the body does a lot of remodeling over the first three to four months; basically breaking down bone and soft tissue, and then rebuilding in line with the new parts. Because of this process, many things are actually at there most vulnerable at around the one to four month period, even though we are feeling better every day.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
Funny.  All my questions to Lee had to do with how soon I could start running.  I just assumed biking, swimming, and playing catch would be on the table after six weeks, since they were not actually impact sports.  Last night though, as we were playing catch for the first time this Spring (baseball practice starts next month) I realized that I was twisting and reaching and bending (sort of) and I realized even playing catch might be an issue.  It is hard not to reach for a ball that is too high or too low.  It is just an automatic gesture that is hard to control.   Thanks for the responses.

Mac     
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

23109VC

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »
Sit in a chair and throw the ball underhand?  Or just wait!  I tossed the ball a few minutes, but don't intend to play any real catch until I get to the six month part.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat