+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: post op hematoma  (Read 1687 times)

lkallok

post op hematoma
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »
I recently had my second BHR on my left hip on Feb. 28, 2011 by Dr. Ari Pressman (Southwestern PA). I am 12 days post op and feeling great! My only problem is that I developed a large hematoma under my incision (about the size of a mango.) I went to see Dr. Pressman for my followup visit yesterday and he suggested draining the hematoma with a syringe. Since I had not bathed since my surgery (except for sponge baths) I was worried about infection & declined the draining. He didn't push the issue. The incision is healed and I can now bathe. The steri-strips are still mostly intact. The bump on my hip is annoying but not painful. It does not interfere with my PT or walking (TTWB.) However, I know it will take a very long time to dissipate on its own. I have no signs of infection and take my temp daily. Any suggestions??

lkallok
lkallok/ RBHR 2-25-08, LBHR 2-28-11 Dr. Ari Pressman

DakotaDocMartin

Re: post op hematoma
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
I had an abdominoplasty surgery in April 2008 where they removed the JP drain much too early.  The surgical area kept filling with fluid and the surgeon kept aspirating it with a needle.  Sometimes up to 750ml at a time.  I ended up with both a saddle embolis type of PE and a sepsis that required an emergency surgery.

There are some possible downsides to leaving the hematoma.  I think I'd want to make sure of not getting a clot by being on some sort of anti-coagulation therapy at least.
"Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas"
Left BHR - 02-09-2011 - Dr. David Palmer

lkallok

Re: post op hematoma
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
I was on lovenox 40 mg Qd up until 2 days ago. I actually had a doppler last Tuesday to rule out a blood clot. I have a call in to my PCP to get his opinion. It's annoying more than anything and I have to wear my husbands pants!

It's good to hear other opinions though. I don't think I want to let this go longer than a few more days without getting it drained.

Thanks for the response, Doc!
lkallok/ RBHR 2-25-08, LBHR 2-28-11 Dr. Ari Pressman

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM