+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 days post op and developed severe burning groin pain. Please help  (Read 2918 times)

Eitan

Hi Guys,

I got resurfaced by John Antoniou 9 days ago.  Initially I did well.  Off the morphine pump 4 hours post op.  IV out 24 hours post op.  Walked in the corridor with the physio (weight on the walker) 1 day post op.  Was hospitalized 2 days and then got the hell out of Dodge because I was wasting my time, and I hate hospitals.  Was off all narcotics 4 days post op. I was doing well up until yesterday with pretty much minimal pain.  Went for a walk outside with my walker:  Walked 5 blocks, took frequent rests, came back 5 blocks.  Sat down to eat dinner.  2 hours later my groin was on fire, pain 15/10.  I did get to sleep last night, with tyelenol and advil.  Went back on the Supeudol this am:  It knocked me out, but I still have 8/10 pain in the groin.  Constant, burning like fire.  I can walk with my walker.  Can anyone help?  What is going on here?  Please tell me I simply overdid it, and everything will return to normal.

Eitan

moe

Re: 9 days post op and developed severe burning groin pain. Please help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
You really should contact your doctor about this, you may have over did it, but anyone on here would just be guessing. You need a professional opinion, the burning could be infection.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:49 PM »
I concur with Moe, call your doctor, it might just be some aggravated muscles/tendons in that area, 9 days ago your hip joint went through a lot of trauma.

Having pain that bad is not the norm usually.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Eitan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
My Doc is out of the country till next Wed.  I don't think there is infection:  No temp, no chills, wound looks great without drainage or pain at the wound.  My doc's secretary told me to back off all excercising and come in for an X Ray if the pain persists or gets worse.  Seems like good advice for now.  I would be interested to know if any other posters overdid it in the early post op period and if so what type of symptoms they had.  Thanks.

Eitan

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
A walk for 5 blocks is not over doing it.  That said, I would ice up a lot, off and on for the next few days and if you are allowed take an anti-inflamitory like ibuprophen.

Good luck, I hope to hear the you are doing better in a few days.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
I have had a lot of random pains and sensations during my healing process.  I'm at about 3 weeks post op.  I've had pain in my groin area...like down where the two halves of my pelvis meet...I've had pain in my butt...pain in my knee, my legs...  I'd panic at times and think..."uhoh what was that?  Did I over do it, did I break something??". Then the next day it would be fine or be much better.... BUT. I did not ever have any serious pain...the paims i felt were always little minor aches or sensations....  At least that is how I characterize them.  I never felt the need to go back on the heavy pain meds once I was off them at about 7 days post op.

A few times I think I did too much and made my leg sore, or sat on the incision too long and agitated it.  I also felt like I had noticeably more pain the day or two after I quit the heavy pain meds....

If youmthink something is wrong toumare smart to call your doctor.  Ease off activity, rest, icemit, and give it a dew days before you panic and assume something went wrong.

Read the various threads here that people have posted about post op pain....a lotm f it seems to resolve itself.

Good luck!

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Eitan

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:13:43 PM »
I have backed off alot, and the pain is down.  I somehow thought that by 10-14 days post op I would be losing the walker and transitioning to the cane.  I see from different threads that different docs have different regimens.  Dr Gross wants 10% wt bearing for 6 weeks.  My Doc clearly said "Put as much weight as you want when you want".  Well, I guess much of the problem is that my mind wants to put weight on, but my muscles are saying "no way".  Essentially what hurts in the groin is when I:  try to put full weight on the operated leg, try to lift the operated leg using only my psoas, walk too much even if putting all weight on the walker.  My physio came by today and told me that if I can get my abductors stronger, then my quads, adductors and psoas will work less with motions, and my groin pain will go down.  Makes sense I guess, so now I am only doing isometric stuff, mostly abductors.

Eitan

einreb

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
I think you have picked up a key point and are listening to your body. 

For what it's worth, most of dr gross's patients are 100% weight bearing right away.  He only limits those with poor bone density ( -1.5 or worse dexa).  However, neck fracture is one of the most common modes of failure.  Taking it a bit easy the first few months might be a good idea.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

halfdone

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:11 AM »
Hi Eitan
You might like to try hydrotherapy.  I found it a wonderful way to gently increase ROM with a wide range of exercises in a very hip friendly environment.  I expect it would be perfect for low weight bearing PT. 
Good luck with your recovery.

resurface1

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »

Hello.  I hope that your 5 block walk was based upon instructions and a plan developed by your physical therapist and / or surgeon.  I must say that I bet at 9 months post op I am on the side of super fast recovery... at 4 months I was cycling 100+ miles a week.  Climbing mountains.  Skiied this year - double blacks.  I only say this as I was under PT guidance every week for 6 months.  I did not walk the first day beyond what was part of my PT.  The initial weeks were spent developing strength and ROM... come to think of it, I am still doing that. 

My suggestion, get yourself under the guidance of a highly knowledgeable PT.   It is worth every dollar, pound, Euro invested....

I wish you well....

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat