+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Pro cyclist/BHR  (Read 12889 times)

moe

Pro cyclist/BHR
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Pro cyclist/BHR
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
Wow, he's a really strong climber. i remember him crashing off the mountain after leading
the climb during a mountain stage in the 08 TDF. Only 24 years old, he'll be back.
Thanks for posting!

best,

spencer

johnd_emd

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm a pretty competitive cyclist, although I'm 52, but still race Pro/1/2 races and Elite Masters Races.  I will be meeting with Dr. Rector Nov. 29 for my first appointment.  Am a little nervous.  I'm hoping I haven't missed my window of opportunity to get this hip resurfaced.  Anyone have any experience with Dr. Rector in Boulder?  Seems like everything I've heard about him has been positive.  I posted something earlier, a couple months ago, but can't seem to find it.  There was one guy who contacted me, and I'd like to get ahold of him again.  He's scheduled to have surgery Nov. 30th with Dr. Rector.  Any cyclist out there who have had this done?  Would love to hear from you and about your recovery time and experiences.
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
I was the fellow you spoke with John. 303-638-1879 is my cell phone. I am scheduled for November 30. Glad you are moving forward. Call at your convenience.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

johnd_emd

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Boomer,

Glad you saw this.  Been thinking about you.  Your sugery is the day after I come to Boulder to see Dr. Rector.  I bet you can't wait to get it done. I know, I've been hurting a lot the last 3-4 weeks, way more then usual.  I'll be thinking about you.  Email me through this post and I can get your email.  I'll try to give you a call too.

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
Having my pre surgery physical at the hospital now. Lots of waiting. Spoke with two Rector patients while I have been waiting, they both sing his praises as a surgeon. I mean, these folks have an almost religious fervor about Dr. Rector. Makes me feel better knowing he will do my surgery.

I'm ready. Walking is awful. Riding is better but as you know, there is a loss of power and the big rings become painful to push.

I see Rector on Nov 17 for his pre surgery physical. By the time you get here, I should have some knowledge of all the pre surgery stuff at least.

Sent you my email. Call If you want. I will help you any way I can.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
The 30th will be here soon, Boomer. It's the day after my (last) one year anniversary, which has been great, so good karma to you.

Combine that with JJmclain (June's) anniversary the 11th, PistolPete, Danny, et. al. , we have several hippy anniversaries and new procedures. All good in my view.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

dwbitt

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
Hi John,

I'm not a competitive cyclist but I put lots of miles in, more than 12,500 in 2010. Things went to hell in January and I ended up with a left BHR 11 days ago (10/29). My inspiration came from the folks on this website, one of whom is a neighbor that had both hips done 2 and 3 years ago, he is also a cyclist and my age, did I mention I'm 65?

Did my 3rd session on the trainer today, no resistance but it feels soooo good!
Not anticipating getting on the road again for another month, but that may be mostly personal, I believe you could get back out sooner if you needed to.

I know your going to do great!

Regards,
Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

johnd_emd

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
Thanks Dave,

I'm just wanting to get it done and get on with things.  It's encouraging to hear all the positive things said about the procedure, outcomes and doctors.  I'll keep checking back and keep taking in all the information presented here on this forum. 

John
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

johnd_emd

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
Well,

I'm a new Hippy now.  Sitting in Boulder Community waiting to be discharged.  It's been an experience.  The whole process was amazing.  Boomer made it much, much easier for my wife and me as well.  He picked us up at the airport, put us up in his house, and once we leave here we're going back to his house for 4 days till I get my final clearance from Dr. Rector to fly home back to Calif.  We can't thank Boomer and his family enough.  Now, it will be on to healing and just getting better.  Yahoo!!!!!
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
Congrats and what a great guy Boomer must be! This site is fantastic!

johnd_emd

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:23:05 AM »
Here's then new news on John Lee,  doesn't look good.  Wonder who did his surgery and what device he had put in.

6 January 2012

John-Lee Augustyn (born August 10, 1986) is a South African professional road bicycle racer, currently on indefinite break from professional racing due to health reasons.

Following a hip resurfacing operation in 2011, he moved to the UCI Professional Continental team Utensilnord-Named.[1], but continued to suffer problems, indicating the hip implant was not coping with the rigours of professional racing. Following medical advice announced in May 2012 that he was taking an indefinite break from professional cycling[2]

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:55 AM »
Doesn't sound good! I think he had surgery in SA so don't know who did the op. Poor lad I feel for him
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »
That's too bad! wonder what caused the problems.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

einreb

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Here's then new news on John Lee,  doesn't look good.  Wonder who did his surgery and what device he had put in

I saw that a few months ago and wondered the same thing.  Its unfortunate, but more often than not it seems like athletes get directed to doctors that may not be the best, or push too hard too early, etc, etc.. (bo jackson's first THR for example).

On a cycling note.... broke 1000 watts this morning for the first time since surgery, did a 580 watt 60 second effort yesterday.   I'm trying to get the legs to 'fire' again for the sprints.   its been interesting to see the fitness level come back up.

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
Bernie that sound great! I do about an hour a day on either my keiser spin bike or a bike at the gym and some on my road bike but never been a cyclist so to speak but 1000 watts sound impressive to a layman!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

einreb

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
1000 watts sound impressive to a layman!

Thanks.  From a competitive standpoint, its not much... but on a personal level, it was a nice milestone.  I just need to keep moving that number up. :)

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear