+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to know when?  (Read 3311 times)

joedb123

How to know when?
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Hi All,

I am scheduled for a BHR at NYU hospital for joint disease on March 25th. My Doctor is Justin Lamont. I am experiencing typical anxiety about the actual operation but am even more anxious about whether I should be doing this at all. I do have days of great pain but do function relatively normally. I can still exercise low impact (1 1/2 hr on elliptical and weightlifting) so I just want to be sure I am making the right decision.

I am relatively young for the operation at 46 and I know this is not something you can't "undo" once done. Any thoughts on how others reached their decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

halfdone

Re: How to know when?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
Check this out
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2294.0

Your anxiety is understandable and natural.  Hopefully the discussions here will get you as comfortable as possible with the (IMHO good!) decision you have made.  I'm 7 weeks on from my second HR.  Was 46 when I had my first.  Good luck.

PS welcome to the SH discussion boards joe!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:37:32 AM by halfdone »

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »
Here's my story: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2010.0

I think you know when at the point that you are seriously talking to surgeons, or as in your case, have already scheduled a procedure.  I know that I was great at delaying it, and took the delay to the point where my hip started dislocating.

I can say that I delayed too long and wished I had taken this step long ago, but I probably wasn't ready. You need to be both physically and mentally ready for this, but to tell you the truth, it's been a great thing to be rid of the pain, limitations and weight of the bum hip on my life. I feel liberated, and I think you can tell by others' stories that I'm not alone in this.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
You shouldn't even be concerned with wanting to "undo it"! The one thing you will think is why didn't you do it sooner??? Just think about being able to eventually get back to impact activities and having no pain!

chris finn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Had mine done last December..and I was 46 in January....so we are the same age. Plus I also weight train. I knew it was time to have mine done when I couldnt get through a workout or get through a days work due to the pain.  This isnt an operation done for no reason, so if the surgeon/consultant has advised you to have it then surely its for the best.

I understand your anxiety...I was exactly the same....and now....14 weeks later, Im back in the gym using the weights..the heavy bag and the rowing machine...and Im looking forward to taking up some new sports in the summer when my range of motion is (hopefully) back to what it was. :)
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

joedb123

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
Thank you all for reply/feedback. I know part of this is my subconscious trying to look for reasons to not do it because it is frightening. I have never been in a hospital for any reason, a pretty good run at 46. I guess this becomes my grand entrance!

On another note i have been told not to take any pain relievers of any kind for 7 days before the surgery, is that a common recommendation?

thanks again to all.
 :D

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
Most over the counter pain relievers (NSAIDS like Advil and Aleve, and aspirin) act as blood thinners.  You definitely don't want to be taking these before surgery.  I was under orders from my surgeon not to take them for 7 days prior to surgery.  Fish oil supplements as well.  I'm surprised your surgeon did not stress this.  I was allowed to take Tylenol, though.

It's sort of ironic, too, that as soon as the surgery is done they put you on stronger blood thinners (Lovenox for me) to prevent blood clots.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

chris finn

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:48 AM »
On another note i have been told not to take any pain relievers of any kind for 7 days before the surgery, is that a common recommendation?
thanks again to all.
 :D

Nope...I was told it was ok to take my medication (Tramadol) right up to the eveing of the day before surgery. It seems that there is a massive difference between what is and isnt acceptable with regard to before surgery and  aftercare information, between the USA and UK ...maybe something to do with your "Blame and Claim" culture ???
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:39:22 AM »
I stopped anti-inflammatories a month before, on my own initiative. They soften the bone anyway and can increase bleeding. Opiates such as codeine and tramadol will do no harm up to about 12 hours before you have the anaesthetic.

As for the timing, I wasted 2 years of my life compromising with an arthritic hip and I wish I hadn't.

lkallok

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
Go for it - I almost postponed my LBHR too long because I didn't have nearly the amount of pain that I had with my right hip. I was lifting weights with no problem and doing elliptical at highest incline and resistance for about an hour 4 to 5 days a week. No pain meds. But if I would execute a demonstration kick while teaching karate I might have severe pain for several days. MRI showed small cysts, fluid and couldn't rule out avascular necrosis. Had LBHR on 2-28-11, just in time! Doc said another few months and I may have been looking at a total hip. I'm 52 years old but still too active for that!

Good luck to you!
lkallok/ RBHR 2-25-08, LBHR 2-28-11 Dr. Ari Pressman

lori.36

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
Well for me this was quite a difficult bridge to cross, which I haven't yet.  I have had bad hip pain for 5 years, but finally went to an ortho for it in July 2010.  That is when I was told that I was bone on bone. 
At this point I am still have a baby (6 months old) that is nursing, so I know I am not going to do anything.  I swear after I was diagnosed, I felt the pain even more.  Fast forward to today, I have copped with PT and swimming in the pool, but not able to walk much.  THis is really hard with the kiddos.  I am a very active person that cannot do anything with her family.
The final straw was a work issue.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and I walked a block to the post office to send off a letter.  After that I went to get a company car, but could not find it.  I looked around to city blocks, and could not find it.  I had to give up, because of the pain in my hip.  It was sunny, I love any excuse to walk outside when it is sunny.  I realised at that moment, I need to get surgery.
I am still nursing my baby, who is 16 months old, but I do not care, I need to do this for them.  I decided that I wanted the surgery on May 11, the day after my sons birthday.  I called the surgeon, and he had the day available.  I asked my husband and he was good with that time.  I asked my boss and he was good with that date. 
I think that you know when, you just need to trust yourself.  Hope this helps, but again I am still on the bridge, I can chicken out at any point.  :)
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

joedb123

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
Lori,

It really is a tough decision, isn't it? I had my diagnosis in June 2010 and I too felt the pain even more, an interesting phenomenon!
I can still walk regularly without too much trouble and can still do an hour on an elliptical. Part of my decision (I am scheduled for this Friday) is that the longer you live with the bad hip, the possibility is that is can get worse negating the possibility of resurfacing and requiring a THR. I have never had any surgery, nor been in a hospital, for any reason making this all the more scary. Through the power of this website I have concluded this is the right thing to do.

I appreciate your post and wish you all the best with your procedure!!

Joe

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
Once the cartilage is gone you are damaging the bone, distorting your musculature and movement patterns; your posture and neurology will compensate.

Not only will the operation be more difficult, but recovery will take longer.

LWChafin

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
joe,

Do it as scheduled, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  I can only speak for me, but there is absolutely nothing I've ever done that was better for me than getting my hip done.  I wish I had done it a year earlier.  I was kinda like you I'd guess - as long as i ate ibuprofen and didn't try to do anything other than walk, I could live pretty normally - but try to take a running step or not take Ibuprofen (2-4 tabs 3-4 times a day) and I'd pay - nothing terrible, but nothing normal either.  Two months from now (assuming you don't have any significant complications) you;ll wonder why you waited.  There's nothing like getting rid of that pain that's always there to greet you.  And Ibuprofen will once again be for headaches.  Six months out and I was still trying to teach my muscles how to move normally instead of compensating when I ran, but I bought myself a new bike and that helped a bunch.  After about a year, there were days I didn't even notice my hip or think about having had surgery.  It was in a word, transformative. If my left hip ever goes, I won't wait.  Life's too short for that kind of painand restriction. 

Larry

Dr. Mont - R- Wright Conserve Plus 4/06 (I think)

joedb123

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Larry and everyone. Thank you. I have set a meeting with my Dr. for tomorrow just to verify his level of experience with this procedure. If it checks out, it will be a go. It is for sure the most difficult decision I have had to make. The positive stories far outweigh the negative ones but for me the negative are the ones I keep thinking about (normal?).

Today I am having a pretty good day but I recall a day last week where I could barely walk a few blocks. I'll keep thinking about that and stay focused on getting it done.

Thanks to all.

hipnhop

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
Sometimes it's not about when you're ready but when they're ready. I learned this the hardway. I took me six months to get approval for HR with my insurance provider.  So just make sure you have all the bureaucratic angles covered. You don't want to be ready to go and get stalled by paperwork. In fact, my approval came in two days before the surgery was scheduled. My surgeon was tired of waiting and pushed everything (all pre-ops visits, test, scheduling) to force Admins approval.

Hope you don't have to deal with this type of stuff but make sure you don't have to.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

joedb123

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
Hip, I have been reading you posts and glad you are doing well. I believe they already have insurance approval of the operation as I am scheduled for Friday. My problem is me... indecisive.

I a meeting today with Doc and will know for sure the situation.

Thanks,

Joe

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM