+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip dysplasia and hip resurfacing  (Read 5032 times)

keepmovin

hip dysplasia and hip resurfacing
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Hello!
I am a new member to this site and have found it extremely helpful in answering many questions I have regarding hip surgery.  I will be needing a hip operation and was told that hip replacement would be my better option, or actually-only option; but a friend (male), who had  successful hip resurfacing last year, convinced me that I should look into hip resurfacing.  He also directed me to this site.  I am from the New York area and have an appt. to see Dr. Su next week after waiting almost 3 months for the appointment.  I understand it will be well worth the wait.  I have been using this site to collect information and prepare my questions hoping to leave no stone unturned!  Unfortunately, I have yet to run across anyone on this site with my condition.  Here is my story:
I am a 53 year old female, 5'7", and up until about a year ago, never had pain in my hips.    I am active, used to be a runner, thin and strong.  Even with my current hip pain, I still work out on an eliptical bike, work with weights, do a little yoga and continue with physical therapy exercises.  I have been diagnosed with hip dysplasia-I believe it is mild as it's never been an issue all my life.  I also have spinal stenosis in my lower back, which I have been aware of for many years.  I've learned to work with my back issues and never let it stop me from being active.  Ten years ago I took certain measures to help my back and was essentially pain free for about 8 years.  Then the pain came back soon followed with a pain in my left hip.  No one can tell me which is the aggravator - the back or the hip.  I was initially treated for bursitis, which I believe was present but is fine now.  My groin pain is gone and I can get around better.
I cannot:  walk long distances-both hip and back begin to hurt.  Going up stairs is painful but not going down.
I can: do deep knee bends, touch my toes, sit comfortably, sleep pretty well, do light yoga moves.  I am still very flexible.
I am looking for someone who is in a similar situation: female, with hip dysplasia, possible back issues OR someone who can offer some advice about having hip resurfacing done with hip dysplasia.  My left hip is bone on bone now which is causing me the pain.  I'm not sure I'm ready for total hip replacement due to the restrictions - I am still very active, you can't keep me still! 
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Debbie
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
Re: hip dysplasia and hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
Debbie, for a complex case (female, dysplasia) you want a very experienced surgeon who is also an enthusiastic advocate for the procedure. Bose, DeSmet, McMinn or Treacy. Even my surgeon, who did a very good job on my hip, is not keen on resurfacing women.
Good luck,
G

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »
I am not female, but I do have compressed disks in my spine with the beginnings of stenosis, and my hip surgeon described my condition as mild dysplasia.

I would thoroughly recommend resurfacing.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

lkallok

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
Debbie,

I am a 52 year old female , 5'6", lean and extremely active - teach karate, lift weights, cardio maniac! I was first diagnosed with mild arthritis in my right hip at age 38. When I finally couldn't perform activities of daily living without severe pain, I had my first BHR on my right hip. That was 3 years ago. I have always been ridiculously flexible (even prior to surgery) so I wasn't surprised when my surgeon told me that I could have possibly had hip dysplasia. I also have a spondylolisthesis of L4-L5 and resulting spinal stenosis. I was either born with it or developed as a result of all my intense activities.

I am now almost 4 weeks post-op my LBHR. I almost waited too long. I had some sciatic nerve damage with the right side that is now resolved but scared me enough to postpone this surgery until the last possible moment. I had a bone density test to make sure that my bones were strong enough. At least the exercise kept my bones strong!

I am doing great this time & I am so glad I had the surgery. I am back to teaching karate already (sitting down, of course) and I can't wait to get to the gym. I am going to take it slow and listen to my surgeon. He is very conservative. I will be allowed to bear full weight in a few days and begin outpatient rehab. I had a very good home Physical Therapist until now. I have come too far and done too well to screw anything up by being too eager!

My advice to you is to find a good surgeon and go for it ASAP. I am anticipating that a year from now I will be able to do things that I haven't been able to do in 10 years! Since we're not getting any younger (55 is the cut off for a BHR in females unless bone density is real good) why wait?

It's not any easy road but it is well worth it! Good luck to you!
lkallok/ RBHR 2-25-08, LBHR 2-28-11 Dr. Ari Pressman

mari

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
Hi Debbie,

I had a hip resurfaced at the age of 62 two years ago.  I too have always been very flexible, had hip dysplasia, but do not have the back problems.  I travelled many miles (from MN to SC) to have it done by Dr. Gross b/c of my age and b/c I wanted to have the best surgeon possible.  I have been very pleased with the outcome, and would encourage you to stay with a very experienced surgeon.  Just my two cents worth...

M
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
Thank you for the encouraging responses!  I was relieved to hear from two of you who have hip dysplasia and successfully had the hip resurfacing.  I know the key is a very experienced surgeon who feels comfortable with working with paitents with complex conditions.  I recently had a bone density test and I was good!  I've always exercised including weights in my program so I feel my bone strength should be fine as well.  I am hopeful that Dr. Su will give me a straight answer and will accept his recommendation.  I know so people who have been very pleased with him and the HSS (hospital).  I talk with him on Wednesday.   Wish me luck :)

Becka

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
Hi  Debbie
This site is the best, and I joined in to incouarge you.
I had hip dysplasia bilateral, found out when I was 40 years old, after injury to right hip, moving a bed.  2004 had Dr. Mont do a bone graft, on Rt hip was good for awhile.
 I'm 50 now , 5' 2" 135 lbs  and was doing  well, on melixcam, back not an issue, hips did bother me but i always pushed through it, I stayed busy with work, life and walking. I found a very good Dr, at Kaiser, Dr. Barber, he's great who had experiance with hip resuf and bilaterals too.  but was doing well so just put it off.
 until last Oct 2010, when I was hit by a car on the freeway, and spun twice, and hit side gaurd rail.
indeed very lucky to be alive.  anyway that brought everything with hips and now back front and center, Melixcam ,didnt cover the pain anymore, and life was going down hill fast,  so after much reading on this site,I had bilateral hip resurf,on Jan 3rd 2011,   there where 2 day when I  said what the heck have I done, then just kept getting better off pain pills at 2 1/2 weeks and take only supplements now , Omega 3's, Iron,  Vit C, calcium, and oil of oregano.  Im doing  well, doing PT for my back and hips , go to my Chiropractor 2 times a week for back,  getting stronger everyday and back doing some work, Im a seamstress and work out of my home so its easier.  as far as recovery my Dr, thinks I'm ahead of the curve , but reading on this web-site I feel I'm middle of the road. the only thing I worry about is fracture, and I'm trying to be careful. looking forward to my 3 month X-rays to see healing.  Good luck to you on what ever you decide to do.

Becka

gary2010

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
While you're waiting, keep your bone and muscle density up with isometrics, core exercises, whatever resistance training you can manage. I found static cycling gave me relief for a while, even when walking was hard work.

keepmovin

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
I had my consult with Dr. Su and received the OK for hip resurfacing from him!  I am delighted he feels confident that I am a good candidate.  We discussed  the metal on metal and release of metal ions into the blood stream, more prevalent with females, no way to be certain who it will affect, etc... so this is my big conern.  My bone density test (I brought with me) indicated good bone density and my xrays were pretty straight forward - hip dysplasia more pronounced on the left then the right, and curently I am bone on bone on my left hip.  I was expecting to wait another 3 months for the operation but a cancellation came through for April 14!! That's ony 2 1/2 weeks away!   I jumped on it-had to give up our family vacation to Bermuda though!  Big dissapointment, but this really needs to get done.   Needless to say, I am very nervous but feel I am in good hands with this surgeon and the hospital.  This metal thing does have me concerned but feel I need to go this route before a total hip replacement. 
Well, wish me luck.  Hope to report back-all went well!

jackmac32

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »
Hi Debbie,
I had Dr. Su do my left hip back in Oct 2009.  I could have gone to a local CT Doctor, but felt his experience and the Caliber of the Hospital were worth the 2 hour drive.  Good luck you'll do fine!
Jack.

gary2010

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
Best wishes, do keep us posted on your recovery.
G

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Hi Debbie, you've gotten some great advice by women who are in your position, just wanted to wish you good luck. I'm sure you'll see a world of difference.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well, here I am-2 weeks post op and I suppose I'm doing OK.  To back up a bit, I did something unprecedented after hip surgery-at least as far as I know and hear from the nurses.  I had my surgery on Monday, was discharged on Thursday and on Friday, my family and I flew to Bermuda for the weekend for a quick vacation we had scheduled months before!  This was a celebration for many life events in my family and I had worked so hard to find a great hotel at a great rate this time of the year.  When I jokingly asked the Dr. beforehand if this was possible, he thought it was doable.  Well, on Thursday he cleared me to go and off we went.  Everything worked out beautifully and I felt it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  We received VIP treatment atm the airport, the hotel, and from all the friendly and helpful people in Bermuda.  This time of year it is not so crowded in Bermuda and the weather was glorious!  Our hotel room was wheelchair accessible and so was the bathroom- much more comfortable then my own.  We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton-highly recommend this hotel!!

Once back home, the work began. I started in on light PT from the visiting physical therapist and began experiencing discomforts that are probably normal but annoying.  I developed and still have pain in my thigh, side of my knee, and back of the knee joint.  My groin muscles give me a lot of problems and I fine that this holds me back from doing some of the important strengthening exercises.  The most annoying is the clunking feeling I get with most movements.  I know this is normal for some people and my Dr. listed this as something to expect until the muscles and tendons strengthen over time.  Each day gets a little better, but I feel like I'm being impatient.  I went in strong and ready and feel I should be coming out strong and ready.  I feel like my leg muscles that once were strong and supportive have become weak and like jello and this is the reason for all my discomfort.  My Dr. recommends using two crutches for 3 weeks, the PT says at 2 weeks or before, I could wean off the second crutch.  I use the one to get around the house to do things so I have a free arm available and then go back to using two crutches when I get tired.  The Dr. says walk, walk, walk, the best PT is walking.  I have ventured out down the block and back but I am no where near a mile walk like some of you I read about. I am hoping this week things speed up for me and I can report back to say all my discomforts have disappeared!

Debbie

Lopsided

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
I think a holiday in the tropics should be a standard part of any surgery.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
Hi Debbie, it sounds like you're doing fine, but like most of us you are impatient. That's ok, keeps the motivation going. I found that I had all sorts of muscle issues afterwards, and was thoroughly insulted when I went to outpatient PT and was told that I was weak in the lower abdomen. The Physical therapist put me on a brutal core strengthening regimen (which worked - she was right).

The point is that your body has been compensating for the pain and physical condition for a while, and now that the mechanical issue is gone, it will take time to retrain it to a more normal way of using your legs and body. I still have some twinges every now and then, so be patient with the changes that need to happen now that the pain is gone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:01:46 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
 Thanks for your thoughts.  I feel like I'm in a foreign body with all the new sensations I feel.  I had the HR on my left and eventually will have to have the right done.  I have to be careful not to stress the right side too much going through PT-would like to hold off another surgery as long as I can.  I look forward to seeing my muscle tone come back and having more control and strength in my legs.  I'm so glad for this site-helps to put things in perspective and here everyone understands what you are going through. 

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
  I'm so glad for this site-helps to put things in perspective and here everyone understands what you are going through. 

keepmovin,

You said it right. I can't even imagine what it would be like without it.

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

phillwad

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:15:06 AM »
Thanks for the update, I will ask my insurance about post op PT somewhere warm and sunny  ;D

Like you I am on crutches and found walking outside a great way to stride out, started out doing about 1/4 and feeling please, now able to go for an hour walk most days.  Keep up the walking

Cheers - Phill

gary2010

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
Hi Debbie,
strange and uncomfortable sensations are perfectly normal in the first 6 weeks, then occasionally afterwards, until eventually the hip feels perfectly natural. Just keep working up to your own limit until you get where you want to be.
G.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat