+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cycling: Clipping In & Triple Cranks  (Read 4480 times)

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
Cycling: Clipping In & Triple Cranks
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
I hope youse guys don't mind if I ask another question about biking.  I don't want to screw anything up.  I am a big tall woman, not a little teeny thing, so torque and weight and all that stuff matters.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether clipping in is a good idea or not.  I use[d] the little speedplay lollipops.  I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to put some cheap platform guys on, maybe with toe clips, when starting back into DF biking?  Wouldn't that allow greaters tolerance in tracking the foot/ankle/knee/hip properly and reduce stress on the hip?

Ditto for putting a triple on a fast bike.  Other than looking really dorky, wouldn't it be easier on the hip than grinding up hills on a double, esp. if you go six-foot with a little extra baggage from inactivity? 

Thanks for the help with thinking through all of these issues!

Kate

halfdone

Re: Cycling: Clipping In & Triple Cranks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »
Those sound like good ideas, if they make it easier to ease back in when the time comes..  IMHO: don't crash, take it slow and progressive, obey the surgeon rules, be patient.  Looking like a dork not a consideration.  So long as you don't overdo it, I don't think you should have much problem with the ROM and using the usual clips, just keep the gearing easy and progress carefully.

moe

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
Kate, we don't mind the questions, we're all here to help each other. You obviously will be starting out on a trainer before heading out on the road, you could dial down the release tension on the speedplays as far as possible and see how that feels. By the time you hit the road you could determine if you want to use platforms and clips.

I'm not sure you will need a triple, once again you will be starting out on flat easy rides and working you way back to climbing. A larger cluster in back and/or a compact in front might be just the ticket at first. Dorkness may not be neccesary!

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

einreb

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
I would suspect that spinning (triple) would be better than pounding the double. I have always pushed big gears.  I'm going to try to do better at spinning them.  I live in Illinois though... so its not like I spend a lot of time grinding up hills. :)

If you are comfortable with clipless... I don't see any reason to avoid them.  I'd definitely try them out on a trainer first to make sure that you have the strength in the correct muscles to unclip.  I suspect that I will be un-clipping on my un-operated side for a while.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

larry2458

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
i didn't like being clipped in before my op but gave it a go on the road.off road....................no chance, i've had too many of those clipped in and nowhere to go moments
lbmh 16th october 2008

JGardner

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Kate,
       I don't think you need to give up your speedplays. The speedplays actually are better for helping you keep tracked than toe clips or platforms. They also help to ensure a smooth cadence and efficient pedaling especially getting up those hills!  Do you have a trainer?  Once you getting the doctor's OK, you can mount your bike on the trainer and pedal away.  You can't fall and you can practice unclipping to regain your confidence.  For example,  I had surgery (right hip/Cormet) 14 October 2010.  I started riding my trainer 4 November.  I switched to rollers 2 weeks later. One week after that with my doctor's clearance I started training rides in a non competitive enviroment. I'm up to 150 mikes a week now and will resume racing in April. The key is to take your time and follow your doctor's advice.

As for your question about cranks, you don't have to change your crank to a triple. You can stick with your present crank (53x39?52x39?). If you are really having trouble on the hills you can look at compact cranks.  You get the same gear ratios that you would in a triple, but without the weight and shifting penalty.   If you like, you can PM me if you have further questions.  Good luck!

Jack

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
Great thread.

I was wondering about my eggbeater clip ins - the idea of doing some drills on the indoor trainer is a great idea, I can do some clip in/out - one leg drills and get used to the new '"feel"

Thanks for the idea - Cheers - Phill

SteveT

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
I really have nothing to add to this thread. Just wanted to say what a delight it is to read people talking about biking gear.  I had been a pretty avid rider for a while (graduated up to being an awful pack-fodder racer for a season) and have missed it terribly. But I gave up riding a few years ago after I broke my collarbone and had to have it surgically repaired when it didn't join.  So I haven't been on my bike in 4 years.  Since then, my hips have become much more of a concern and I've wondered what they'd feel like if I ventured back on to my bike.   

Anyway, thank you all for a nice nostalgic couple of minutes remembering when I could talk for hours about brands of chain lube.

Steve

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Hey everybody,

Just checking back in.  I've spent the last few months on my beloved TerraTrike doing some light ROM stuff, graduated to my step-through for commuting to the office, and generally getting along fairly well.  Did some half-centuries this season, and looking forward to pushing the envelope on my road bikes when spring comes.  (April 27 is the one-year anniversary.)  All is well.

~~ kate

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
Sounds great, Kate - how's the ROM?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
Kate,

How far out of surgery are you?  If you use your Speedplays, are they the one's with a little float to them, or the one's the lock you in?  Nice thing about using a Look or Shimano pedal is you can adjust the spring tension.  I'm only 7 weeks out and and already riding my road bike with the regular tension, but the first couple weeks when I started riding I used the stationary bike and had my pedal spring tension almost all they way at zero and it wasn't hard at all to clip in and out.  One thing about the speedplay is you can't adjust the tension. 

As far as a triple, if you're still recovering why are you riding hills anyway?  Just ride flats and spin and heal.  Get use to just pushing the cranks and not doing anything hard?  As you get stronger start with short hills that are not too steep and just use your easy gears.  Personally don't think your height and being a big girl has anything to do with it. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat