+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight hip pain and BHR  (Read 2539 times)

joedb123

Weight hip pain and BHR
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:21:46 AM »
I am surprised not to see more info relating to weight and it's effects on the hip pre and post op. One doctor Ive spoken to says " you can probably put off the surgery if you lose some weight". There in lies the rub (for me at least); If your hip hurts, your in you 40's plus, weight loss is a tall order and can prove to be very difficult. Here is my story, I'm 5-8" and weigh 260 lbs. I have always been very active playing squash, racquetball, weightlifting. I am, for a 260 lb guy, relatively fit (except obviously for the excess weight). I am a natural 200lb person due to my lifetime of weightlifting. For me the point is I can still get on an elliptical machine and do 5-6 miles (1- 1 1/2 hour) and then continue on to lift weights ( no more squash for now). From my perspective, I keep asking myself "If I can do this, do I need the surgery just yet?". In other words, should I lose the weight first? I have accepted that I will need the resurfacing at some point but would also like to insure the best result post op and it seems obvious being lighter would help.

There is also the prospect of damaging the hip further in an effort to lose the weight, the question becomes, how much damage can you do in s few months and is it worth it?

Below is a link that is pretty to the point, the link between weight and arthritis is documented but knowing how to manage the surgery and the "weight thing" at least for me, is confusing.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/arthritisresearch/p/obesity.htm

Any thoughts on this? It would be nice to hear from medical professionals also if they should happen to read this.

Bye for now!

chris finn

Re: Weight hip pain and BHR
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
5-8" and weighing 260 lbs.......come on dude, be honest with yourself....you are carrying way too much size on your frame. Your over 18st.....at your height I would say that you should be nearer to 14st max.

Ive been weight training since I was 16...and I used to believe all the rubbish in the mags about being huge etc. But its just stupid...size for size sake is pointless (and dont even get me started on standing on stage in speedos covered in baby oil...no way is that a sport  :o )

Not only has your size almost certainly contributed to your problem,but it wont help after the operation. Dont get me wrong.. I still believe in size and strength, but only as part of an all round program (although a bit extreme for me, the crossfit style is more like it) or even better are the military style fitness routines.1- 1 1/2 hour to do 5-6 miles on an elliptical isnt good ...try 35 to 45 minutes max.

I know its a catch 22 situation....you cant lose the weight because of the pain from the hip(s) ...and the weight is contributing to the pain, but if you can use an elliptical and the weights then it can be done.

Please dont think Im having a go at you....I just know from personal experience, how hard it is to change the way you have been training for years. I just hope I have helped you see the light  ;) ;D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do  :)

BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

joedb123

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
I have no defense. I guess what it comes down to is to lose the weight first. I made this statement to my doctor and as usual the response was " have surgery now". That is the real dilemma.

I guess if I get the hip replaced and don't lose the weight, I could always pursue a career in Sumo Wrestling. I bet I would be the first BHR Sumo!

Thanks for the response, tough love is OK with me.  ;D

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »
If you want to save your hip further wear, or at least lesson damage, find a pool and swim swim swim.  Work up to an hour straight, you burn calories quickly and it's easy on your joints.

Not all people who are overweight end up with arthritis, but the arthitis tends to make weight control even tougher as it's hard to excercise.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
I'd have the surgery. You need to drop the weight, but the hip's not getting better. The PT afterwards will help you get on track for exercising, and the pain won't be there to slow you down when you are working on dropping the weight.  Just my opinion, but I think you need to move forward.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

tony b

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »
im 5'11" and im 300 lb male 42 yrs old .had bhr done at hosp joint disease in nyc .i had avascular necrosis in right hip and the x ray showed i was waliking on crushed bone .1st doctor wanted to do a hip replacement no mention of weight being a problem.2nd opinnion told me i needed a hip replacement would not touch me unless i lost at least 100 lbs.also both told me they would not sign for me to return to work .i am in law enforcement in nyc area and have 19 yrs of service .both doc never offered resurfacing or even mentioned it .3rd doc told me i needed surgery but he might be able to do BHR he would not know until he opened me up but would have both devices on the table .woke up with a BHR .he told me he has ice hockey players that have the same surgery and i could go back to work .1 st week was tough ,couldnt move well mild pain and took awhile for my wound to stop leaking .i took my sweet time getting back to work .took 4 months sick time i earned during my career .if forced to probablly could have done it in 2 or 3 months .its been 11 months now and i only lost 15 lbs .i dont excersise just walk alot .im on my feet 12 hrs a day on my job and only thing i get is muscle soreness at end of the day .once in awhile i get mild joint pain but nothing to complain about .the weight is gonna put more wear and tear on the joint and i was told before the surg that i would definetly need total hip in my lifetime .i keep putting the diet off .when i asked the dr before surgery about my weight he said he would prefer to operate on me at fighting weight and it was up to me if i could stick it out longer .i waited til i could not even put weight on my leg before i went . i had no choice .i feel good and im able to work all day .still not 110 % but i go for my 1 yr checkup in april .dr told me all my complaints at 6 months were normal and the x-rays looked spectacular .strange to describe the feelings .better every day .seems worse when im doing nothing at all .when im at work moviing around its better .good luck and keep researching things .im glad i got a second oppinion .feel better .

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
I was 165 lbs when I got a cortisone shot that took my hip in a rapid descent. I wan stuck on crutches and in pain for the past six months untill my surgery last week. Now it is a diferent pain. Over the six months I gained 15 lbs because of depression and being unable to train as usuall. My depression had me eating everything because I saw no hope. I too had avn and was part of a health plan that did not do hr.  I thought my triathlon lifestyle was over. I fought for approval for hr and got it.

It has been 7 days and I have no desire for junk. I know my hip is recovering.  My point is watch out for depression. If u can't see or believe that you will walk normally, it does a lot to the mind. You need tolose weight no matter what.  Hip pain makes any activity so hurtful.

Lose as much as u can while u can
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Interestingly, all responses so far seem to be from other males...  It is a pretty well established fact that men lose fat a lot easier than women.  I am a woman, 65 years old, and I have no problem getting weight off when I tighten up on my diet and eat the right things (lean meats, fruits, lots of veggies) and cut out stuff like bread and pasta.  I have two bad hips (getting the first one resurfaced next month), so I am also limited in how much and what type of exercise I can do.  I definitely have had to cut back quite a bit on physical activities because of the pain in my hips.

If I can do it, a man in his 40s should have no real problem getting rid of some weight, other than mustering up the necessary self discipline.  I know it's no fun, especially with a lot of weight to lose, but it is definitely worth it in the long run!

Depression is a different issue.  Many people overeat when they are depressed.  I agree with hipnhop that it is important to watch out for it, and get treatment for it if necessary.

Best of luck to you, both with the surgery and the weight issues!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat