+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Range of Motion and Pelvis/Back Improvement Stories wanted  (Read 1781 times)

strost

Range of Motion and Pelvis/Back Improvement Stories wanted
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
From digging around on the site, it appears that resurfacing the hip definitely helps with the range of motion, but not always with back pain. I'm hoping to get some additional insight on your experiences.

While my xrays look horrible, I'm not taking any drugs and doing a variety of alternative therapies that keep my pain to a minimum.

When I am lying down, I'll experience more pain (dull throbbing pain that will sometimes wake me up or keep me awake). Most of the pain is felt in the backside of my glut instead of the front side. Every once in a while, I'll get a sharp pain while walking, but it is not even once a week.

If I try to do some stretching exercises, I notice significant tightness in my pelvis and low back when I try to do internal and external rotation with my hip. I'm guessing those muscles, tendons and ligaments are tight due to compensation patterns. I do walk with a limp from being bone on bone and only have 6 degrees internal rotation and 16 degrees external (but believe that has improved recently).

Please let me know what your experience has been with your range of motion and the difference that has made in the other areas of your body (knees, low back, pelvis, sacroiliac joint). I know it will take time for my body to readjust from all the compensation patterns, but want to know if it is likely that I'll experience improvements with the tightness and discomfort in the other areas too.

Please share as it is going to be another important component in my "when" decision making process. I had surgery for a severely ruptured disc 5 months ago, so I don't want these compensation patterns to negatively impact an already compromised area. I have had some knee pain, but the things I am doing have helped that for the moment.

Thanks for all the insights you've given me on other posts. This message board is great.

Lopsided

Re: Range of Motion and Pelvis/Back Improvement Stories wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:19 AM »
I have got compressed disks in my lumbar and neck with bone spurs growing, and the middle of my spine is curved. I have the beginnings of stenosis. But it was my hip that gave me the most referred pain and discomfort in my back. Before my operation, I was often bent over sideways.

The hip resurfacing has not cured my back, and in some ways, I feel it more because I am so much more mobile. But although I can feel it and am aware of my spine continuously, it does not impair my life.

So if you have got a back back as well as hip, I would highly recommend resurfacing.

My resurfaced hip is definitely the best joint in my body, the only joint that moves smoothly. Seven months out I am still gaining range of movement, not just in my hip joint, but in my back as well.

No doubt after a few years of being lopsided, being straight again put some strain on my spine. Each time I stretch and gain further movement in my hip, I feel my back for a couple of days after.

Before the operation, I had no rotation of the hip at all. Now I can sit cross legged on the floor (not for long, and only with my operated leg tucked in, as the other hip is not as good).

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
Hey strost,
I had real bad back problems before surgery and my ROM was absolutly horrible. Mostly now(2yrs 4months ) post op on both hips i have a very occasional bout with a stiff lower back that is more of an inconvenience than anything else. So for me I believe my back issuses were attributed to compensation issuses. My ROM has improved at least 60 -70 %. On my ROM I could have an improvement % higher than that but I have not really worked on improving it any more because I am satisfied were it is. I am able to do everything I want to in life again so i just sorta do my thing. Never been  real big on the workout routine, but i am super active surfing, windsurfing, snowboarding, iceskating and more. One thing I did after surgery for 6 solid months was to workout and stretch like crazy, and I believe that helped me get to where i am today.  Hope your recovery goes well.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Neild5

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:46:36 AM »
I am 20 days post op with a left resurfacing.  I have never had back surgery but I do have a total of 11 discs with issues from bone spurs to herniation.  Prior to hip surgery I had back spasms almost constantly for the last 3 years.  I had several rounds of trigger point injections, botox injection and was doing acupuncture 2-4 times a week.  In the last 20 days I have had 1 spasm that lasted all of 5 minutes.

Neil
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat