+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Options for bilateral  (Read 3717 times)

Petrified

Options for bilateral
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
I've been informed that I am a candidate for HR and that I am also in need of it on both of my hips.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach this? Both the same day? A lag time between the two procedures?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Petrified

Lopsided

Re: Options for bilateral
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
I gather, from your name, Petrified, that you are not too pleased to need your hips resurfaced.

Please be assured that you should consider this an opportunity, and a process that can be enjoyed.

The way to approach it is to contact some experienced surgeons.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Petrified

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
Hi Lopsided.

Yes, I am very pleased that I am a candidate for HR. But, I am still quite nervous about the procedure and the fact that I need both hips resurfaced in the near future. I didnt even know the HR existed until I started to investigate hip OA about a month ago. It's a lot to digest in 4 weeks.

I have contacted Dr Bose and he said that I need bilateral HR.
His reputation seems stellar. 

So, now it's a matter of how best to go about it.

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
So, now it's a matter of how best to go about it.

Book the operation, get on a plane, take a good book.

Where are you? Either you are up late at night, or you are somewhere else in the world.

D.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:03:20 PM »
Petrified,

I had mine done on Monday and the second one done on Wednesday of the same week. The reason is because I traveled a long distance from home to where I had it done and also because both of my hips were really bad. My surgeon does it that way for "out of staters" if that is O.K. with them (the patient). I am so glad I got both done that way. It's tough, but to me worth it. Just my opinion.

Maybe the surgeon you choose will be close to home or would prefer longer time between surgeries. The most important thing is to choose an experienced surgeon. lopsided said that.
(Love that dog!)

Everyone on this site got the cheerful news about their hips being bad. It's hard to accept but just keep in mind, your hips will get worse over time until they are fixed. After surgery everything gets better, much better. I too never heard of HR until almost one year after my diagnosis by an ortho who was other than the one who did my surgery. That's how long I went in limbo, not knowing what to do. What a terrible, depressing time for me. Be thankful you are aware of this procedure and most of all you found this website. This is where I learned about HR and found my surgeon. Thanks again Pat!

From what I have read, Dr. Bose is one of the best. Best wishes.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Petrified

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
Thanks you guys.

I'm in California. I dont have medical insurance, so Dr. Bose sounds like the best way for me to go.

I've read that most surgeons dont like to perform the bilateral during the same day. And honestly, it seems like it would be real hard to do the post op recovery. But that's why I'm putting the question out there. I've read so many different recovery stories.

I really am glad I found this site because I was feeling pretty isolated with this problem. It's great to hear from others out there that are or were in the same situation.

I realize that I wont get better until I get the procedures done. I just have to absorb this and get my butt in gear and do it. Having in-put from people that have done it means a lot to me as I dont know anyone personally that has this problem.

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:30 AM »
Hi,

I am booked in for bilateral for 8 April so I'll let you know how it goes.  Apparently I am an ideal candidate due to my age and overall health.  (33yo - though I wouldn't necessarily say excellent health - the hip condition was started from JRA about 20 years ago and the damage limits what I can do).  The benefits as I see them is one major surgery, one rehab and you know what, I don't *really* know what to expect so I can't freak myself out before the second one :)

From my research, rehab is harder yes, but not necessarily twice as hard.  I'll need to work harder, though I should expect to see that magic 80% mark in six to eight weeks (provided I end up on a normal rehab plan not the slow one, but I won't know this until the job is done I guess).   I have been working pretty hard on strength and overall general health in the lead up so I hope to have some good news to report to you pretty soon :)

Lori

Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
If you are going overseas I would definitely consider getting them both done on the same day, or at least very close together, so you can get them in on the same trip.  The obvious reason is to cut down on travel time and expenses.

I had mine done four weeks apart near my home in San Diego.

You can find some additional recent bilat discussion in another thread here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2339.msg16225;topicseen#msg16225
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:00:53 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
I had mine both done the same day, one surgery, one recovery, very successful. Although the recovery is harder, it depends on the health of the patient and surgeon. Good luck.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
... it depends on the health of the patient and surgeon.

It certainly does. Never choose a surgeon with a limp.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
^^^^ Cold, very cold ^^^^  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Petrified, I just had my right hip done five days ago. If I could have done both at the same time, I wouldn't blink. I would rather just get it over with ASAP.  My surgeons didn't want to do both at the same time because of the difficuluty of my case. I had sever AVN plus they wanted me to have a good leg to assist in the recovery process.

They want to do the other hip withing the next three months. As an entrepreneur, time off means lost of income (I am a Public Speaker). I took a big hit beacuse of the situation surrouding the quick failure of my hip. I know I am a little hesistant to take time off again but I really want to get back on with my active triathlon training regime.  What most people don't understand is that there are "opportunity costs" associated with a second surgery. In the final analysis, you have to decide what these cost are, speak to your surgeon about them, and if it will not affect your health, make a good decision. It will means less sacrifice on your part in the long run. Now I got to get back to these weird PT exercises.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

moe

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
... it depends on the health of the patient and surgeon.

It certainly does. Never choose a surgeon with a limp.

Except Dr House, but he would never concern himself with something as mundane as hip surgery.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Petrified

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
I'm 52, 5'11, 180 lbs. I do crunches and push-ups everyday as well as swim a couple of times a week. Dont Smoke and have a few beers a week. (Maybe that's my problem)

So I think my health is up to the challenge. The idea of one pre-op, one procedure and one recovery sure sounds enticing. But I have the time and funds to take it slower if need be.

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »
So I think my health is up to the challenge. The idea of one pre-op, one procedure and one recovery sure sounds enticing. But I have the time and funds to take it slower if need be.

I keep stressing that it was an enjoyable process for me. That does not mean you should do it twice if you have the chance yo get it all done at one time.

stevel

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »
Dr. Su is one of the few Drs. who do bilaterals during the same operation.  Other Drs. wait a couple of days or a week or three months or more before doing the second hip.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Petrified

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
I guess the best thing for me to do is trust the Dr's expertise on this subject and ask for his guidance.
He's seen a lot more of this than I have.

tedroberts

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I had both my hips resurfaced in the same surgery a couple of years ago.  I did not want to go through the hospital stay and rehab twice.  My Dr. had done two at once once before for a carpenter that did not want to miss a lot of work.  I stayed an extra day in the hospital (4 nights) and rehab was a little slower I think.  Having both hips done at once makes the PT's think out of the box a bit!
I would recommend bi-lateral surgery at one time if you are in good shape, as you seem to be.  One of the worst things was having to sleep on my back for at least a month.
I had surgery in January and was playing golf in April (OK I used a cart to start with).
Good luck 
Ted Roberts, Bi-Lat BHR, 1-7-09, Dr. Nelson, Edina, MN   
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Anniee

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
Hi Petrified,

I understand completely where you're coming from!  I need both hips done also, and I am scheduled for my first one on April 20.  I am too petrified to have both done at the same time, but I'm also fortunate enough to live about 60 miles from Columbia, SC, and Dr. Gross!  I think if I had to travel from far away, I probably would have decided to get both fixed at the same time, if my doctor agreed.  From reading all the posts here, it seems that many people do quite well that way, and I can definitely see many advantages in having just one surgery, vs two separate ones, not the least of which is cost!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

wayne-0

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
Hey Petrified,

I had both mine done on the same day and if i were to do it again i would do it the same way. For me it was one recovery, one surgery(a little longer than a single hip surgery) but i was knocked out anyways. Probably harder for the doctor that day than for me. Looking back i don't think rehab or recovery was all that bad. The first 8 days were a little hard ; trying to get to the bathroom and getting out of bed were the most difficult tasks but after the 8th day that rapidly improved. I remember things going so well in my recovery that on day 17 post op, all i used to get around was a cane. I was surfing 4 months post op and snowboarding 4 1/2 months post op. Things went well and continue to do so for me and sometimes i really feel like i am 20 yrs old again. You said your in Cali and there are several great docs out here. Dr. Ball in San Diego is my doc and i believe he is a great doc you may want to have a consult with him. Good luck and any other questions I can help with let me know.
Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat