+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Water Exercise Post Op  (Read 2827 times)

dionoreilly

Water Exercise Post Op
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
How long before one can swim or do water therapy after surgery? Specifically, I enjoy gentle water aerobics and stretching in a warm pool. I have heard six weeks, but that seems like a long time.

FlbrkMike

Re: Water Exercise Post Op
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
I think that most surgeons will tell you that you need to wait until the incison is completely healed.  You may have other restrictions based on your particular situation but the main thing is to let the wound heal before soaking in pool, tub, spa, or anywhere else.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

halfdone

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Based on my experience, with a waterproof dressing you can start water therapy a couple of days post-op, but your surgeon might prefer it to be supervised by a PT in the early days for safety.  When the incision/wound is fully closed you can do without the dressing. (I was OK without a dressing after about 4 weeks this time (very quick healing), it was a little longer last time.)  Avoiding infection is the key concern, and the pool environment can be a bit tricky.  (You should check with your surgeon in any event.)  
I am a huge fan of water therapy for early rehab.
Enjoy.

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
I was allowed in at 4 weeks after my first post-op appt. Again, it all depends on the incision. That is when my 90 degree restriction was lifted and getting back in the pool really helped with my ROM.

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
I was in the pool on day two, as were all other patients of Dr. De Smet. In my view, the hydrotherapy significantly sped up recovery and was enjoyable too. This was all done under the watchful eye of Evelyne who developed the program.

It was an amazing feeling to be in the pool, just forty eight hours after surgery, and to be able to walk freely, without discomfort, and to realise a significant increase in range of movement straight away.

I think Evelyne's exercises are listed on this site somewhere.

You have to have a waterproof bandage.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Mi Corazon

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Dr. Rogerson in Madison had us in the pool on post-surgery day 3, and what a world of difference it makes.  But, you do need an occlusive dressing to seal the incision wound.  As to when you can get in a pool without the occlusive dressing, Dr. Rogerson has told me to wait until the wound is scabbed over completely, which is usually three to four weeks.  After that, there is no restriction on water activity.  But, never hurts to keep an eye on it.

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
I see my surgeon tomorrow and if she says it's cool, I'm swimming. I did three miles the day before my surgery and I want to get back in the water.  I use AquaSphere Aplha Fins so I don't have to kick. They really keep your legs buoyant.

I plan to try to do a 500 then 15/15 min of Deep Water Running/Leg Slides. I wonder if the BHR added any weight to my legs? Ummmm!

Good luck in the Water.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

halfdone

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
I'm sure you'll enjoy being back in the pool.  I started gentle (adapted) swimming at about week 3, but was in the pool doing aquatherapy a week earlier (which really helped gentle recovery of strength and particularly ROM).  When I started swimming I did open turns for the first 3 weeks, then started gentle flip turns, and was very careful with the twisting and rotations and pushes off the wall.  I did a lot of gentle kicking with fins (free and fly), which was good for hip strength.  At the early stages, swimming like you with a buoy, that my hip was occasionally a bit tender and clunky on the op side.
Now 9 weeks post op, pretty much back to normal except breaststroke on which I'm still building up the kick. 

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »
Doc told me not to go anywhere near water till week 5. Really sucks but I'm listening.  Dont want an infection.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal