+-

Author Topic: Has anyone had this?  (Read 3642 times)

Windie1

Has anyone had this?
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced 3/30/09 (I was 51 at the time) and have had groin pain ever since.  Since yesterday evening I haven't been able to walk without terrible pain in my groin.  It's the forward motion of each step that I can't perform; I end up just dragging the leg forward.  I had an X-ray yesterdaymorning before any of this started.  My Dr said everything looks good, no shifting of the implant.  He has ordered blood work to check on my cobalt and chromium levels and I'm scheduled for an MRI on Monday.  Has anyone ever experienced something like this?  I didn't do anything strenuous or weird before the onset...

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Has anyone had this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »
Many have had groin pain.... did u do anything extra after your x-ray?  Anything strenuous?  The MRI might shed some light, if your doctor does not find anything and the pain continues seek a 2nd opinion, you do not have to be in pain.

Ice and ibuprophen (if you're allowed) helps sometimes.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Windie1

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »
Follow-up: 

Since my original posting, I have had two more days where I wasn't able to make that forward motion and in general, the pain around my hip has gotten worse - now it even hurts on the backside when I'm sitting.  I got back my ion counts which were nothing extraordinary: Cobalt = 1, Chromium = 1.2.  I also sent my x-rays and MRI to Drs De Smet and Bose.  Dr. De Smet got right back to me.  He thinks I may have quite a bit of fluid around my hip.  What is the significance of that?  What causes the fluid and how do you get rid of it?  Anyone know?

Regards.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:07:49 AM »
I am no expert, but infection and high metal ions can cause fluid build ups--- anyone else have any ideas?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Dr. De Smet got right back to me.  He thinks I may have quite a bit of fluid around my hip.

If Dr. De Smet thinks you have got fluid, then you have got fluid. I don't think anyone here can tell you why and what to do, except see your doctor, or preferably, ask Dr. De Smet.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Windie1

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I have a follow-up with my doctor this Thursday when I'll ask him about the fluid.  It's just so frustrating!  The reason I went with BHR was so I could get active again.  Now, 2 years after surgery, I'm in worse shape than before and still wondering if I'll ever get my life back  >:(

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
Windie,

Be strong and stay on top of your docs.  It will get better.

Ed
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

JLL

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
My husband had a similar situation. He had groin pain and numbness two years after resurfacing. Ends up his angle wasn't correct, and he had high metal ions in his blood. He had an MRI done which showed a tremendous amount of fluid on the joint. Like you his Xrays were normal. He had to have a THR which was just done April 15.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats