+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice regarding anesthesia/pain control...epidural?  (Read 2522 times)

Jill W

Looking for advice regarding anesthesia/pain control...epidural?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »
I am having my left hip resurfaced this Monday (December 17th) in Galveston, Texas by Dr. Grecula.  During my pre-op appointment I was asked to consider having an epidural (plus general anesthesia) - the epidural would be used for pain control immediately post-op. I asked Dr. Grecula if this would delay my recovery, and he said that I would not be able to use my legs while the epidural was in place, but that many patients rested better after the surgery so that by the time I was ready to be discharged there was generally not a difference between those who had the epidural and those who used IV pain control meds.  Any one have any experience or advice?  I am thinking that if you have a epidural in place, you also have to have a catheter (bladder), which increases the chances of infection??

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jill W

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Looking for advice regarding anesthesia/pain control...epidural?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
Hi Jill

I can only tell you about my expereince.  I had a general anasthesia for my resurfacing with Dr. De Smet in Belgium.  His surgeries are about 45 minutes for one hip.  He likes to have the body as relaxed as possible for the hip dislocation.  I can't remember any pain after, but we had morphine drips and buttons.  I never had bad pain after leaving the hospital at 2 1/2 days. Used only advil for muscles soreness.

The US doctors are quite different than the overseas doctors.  I would guess I would ask my doctor what he suggested for my own case and go from there.

No cathethers overseas for one hip, but many in the US use them.  I actually would rather have had one for the day after surgery since it was difficult being on a bedpan.

Sorry I can't give you any more advice.

Good Luck with your surgery.  THe one thing I can tell you is as the weeks and months wear on post op, you get better and better and your surgery just becomes a distant memory for most people.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rotag

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
I know your surgery is tomorrow...I may be a day late and a dollar short!  Anyway, I had an epidural, with a sedative.  I woke up fine, and was very alert.  I opted for this...I did not want a breathing tube and to be totally knocked out, that terrified me....so the epidural was my choice.  I felt my left leg when I woke up...the right..the surgical side was a bit numb for a few hours.  My pain was controlled for a few days in the hospital with loritab/oxycodone....then I came home and only tylenol.  I am at day 16 and doing great!!!!!  This is an amazing procedure!  Enjoy your new life, with your new hip!

Jill W

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 03:00:31 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I had the surgery and opted for the epidural for pain control - which was placed prior to surgery (general anesthesia).  Unfortunately the epidural catheter must have slipped somewhat and I did not get maximum pain control coverage (actually I had more numbing on my right side, and the hip resurfacing was on the left). But overall, I had very little pain after surgery, so even though I had the PCA pump as a back-up(morphine), I did not push the button too often.

I am glad to be on the other side!

Jill W.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »
Congratulations Jill

You recevied an early Christmas present.

Nothing like having a new hip and - soon - no pain.

Take it easy, Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat