+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: In the club!  (Read 3812 times)

joedb123

In the club!
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
Got my new hip yesterday at7am. Lying in hospital bed now. Mucho Paino but a great feeling of satisfaction.... All is well.

Great website made the decision so much easier.

halfdone

Re: In the club!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
Congratulations!

einreb

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Congrats!   ;D
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
Glad to hear you are already on the computer.  Take it easy and you will soon be out and running!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »
You did it! Slap on the back!  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
Glad to hear all went well, the rest is downhill... you got over the hard parts.

Welcome to the hippie club.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
Congrats, just had mine down 7 days ago.  Try to relax. Inb 6 weeks they say we'll forget we had surgery
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:54:24 PM »
Where and who did your surgery?

It is all better from this point on.   I am 4 weeks post op and feel great.  I am back at work and am almost off of my cane.  I use the cane for going out of the house where I know I'll do a lot of walking, but pretty much don't use it or need it for short trips.  I feel a lot better and stronger than right after surgery.  It's amazing how fast the human body adapts and recovers. 

When you think that you just had your joint apart, bone removed, and all the tissue that has to be cut to get in there...and then figure by 4-6 weeks you will be walking around ...it's amazing.

I am by no means 100%, I'm not running, jumping...no one is at 4 weeks... But in terms of getting mobile and having that feeling of "wow, I am pain free...I am fixed"... I'm pretty much there and thinking that every day..you will be there too..before you know it!

Congrats!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

FlbrkMike

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
Well done!!
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

joedb123

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
Thanks all!!! I am at NYU Hospital for joint disease in NYC (where I live). The Dr. Was Justin Lamont one of the top OS here. By all indications everything went smoothly. He was very thorough and good natured, a real pro.

Outside of the obvious initial pain, I feel very well. Got out of bed today and scooted around with a walker. That was tough. Now it's onward and upward! Can't wait to live pain free.

Thanks for the dialogue everyone and especially to Pat for creating this wonderful resource.

Just one thing; my foot is pointing backwards, that's normal right?
 ;D

bothdone

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Just one thing; my foot is pointing backwards, that's normal right?
 ;D

Very good!   You won't know if you are coming or going with that.   ;D

Welcome to the club.  Here's hoping you have an excellent recovery.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Krunch

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
Congrats and best of luck down the road!
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
Excellent! good luck on the recovery, sure you won't need it. Are you signed up for PT?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
My man!!! You were walking on the walker a day after surgery. You are a beast! They tried to get me to take a step from the Bed to the chair and I almost passed out from pain. I am 10 days post op and feeling so much better than day one. My issues are these freakin staples itch, I hate giving myself those shots and sleeping like a mummy isn't happening. I ain't gonna lie, I threw away that leg pyramid thingy and just try to get as comfortable as I can.

Get some good DVDs and relax. 

Wanna Race?

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

maxi

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
great news ... life begins again ...
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

joedb123

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
Hip,
It was definitively the most painful experience of my life. Barely made it. I can tell you I did not go far just across the room and into a chair. Hindsight being 20-20' I would probably recommend a day of rest first. The reason I say this is because the next 48 hrs, for me at least, make a world of difference. No one considering this procedure should be under the allusion it is easy. It is a tough operation and you need to be prepared for the pain.
For me, the worst night was Saturday, the pain was constant out of control and it took the hospital a while to figure out the right meds to get it under control. Saturday night I was questioning my sanity of getting this done. Now, no doubts!

Going home tomorrow and ready to recover. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks all!! :D

23109VC

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
What was painful?  Walking?  While lying in bed?  I wonder if pain is determined by how the doctor makes the incision, more on what drugs they five you?

I had my left hip done by Dr.Gross and I honestly have had hardly any pain...nothing bad at all!  When I woke up it didn't hurt and I only felt mild discomfort and I was on crutches the next day with no pain.  I was on oxycontin and nucynta.......did those formthe two day hospital stay and for 5 days after I was out... I had pain, don't get me wrong, but it was not the most painful experience of my life.

I had hernia surgery 5 years ago and that was 10x worse as far as post op pain!

Maybe you need more drugs!   ;D
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

obxpelican

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »
How would you rate your pain now?  Are you ok now?

Chuck

Hip,
It was definitively the most painful experience of my life. Barely made it. I can tell you I did not go far just across the room and into a chair. Hindsight being 20-20' I would probably recommend a day of rest first. The reason I say this is because the next 48 hrs, for me at least, make a world of difference. No one considering this procedure should be under the allusion it is easy. It is a tough operation and you need to be prepared for the pain.
For me, the worst night was Saturday, the pain was constant out of control and it took the hospital a while to figure out the right meds to get it under control. Saturday night I was questioning my sanity of getting this done. Now, no doubts!

Going home tomorrow and ready to recover. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks all!! :D
Chuck
8-6-08

joedb123

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »
What I've heard frequently, was the pain experience is different for each individual. For me, it was really bad at all times the second day. On Friday I had the pain pump with diluadid in it. It got me through the first night well. On saturday there was little relief. I'm jealous of you for experiencing little pain. Wish I could say the same.. The third day was much better and I was up and moving pretty well but the pain was still there. For the first two days I had very little strength in my leg and my muscles where swollen and tight. That dissipated but is still there a bit. In any case I am heading home tomorrow and it will be what it will be.

Chuck- still having pain but no where near where it was. I will be on meds for at least a few days but can almost feel it getting better with every passing minute.
 :)

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
That's good that your pain is not as severe, bone pain can be really bad.

What did they use as their pain protocol?  Gross anaesthetises your surgical area so you wake up numb and usually stay that way for 24 hours which is usualy the really bad time.

I broke my femur in 1983, my doctor was an older guy who never subscribed to a good pain protocol and I was in pain for 24 hours post-op so I know what you are talking about.

I think it's a crime when I hear that a hippie went through a lot of pain, even 24 hours post op.

Keep us updated on your progress, things will turn around soon.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM