+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal detectors and other things  (Read 4600 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Metal detectors and other things
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
I just read two other posts where Hippys went through metal detectors and did not set them off.   ???

Now I'm wondering, in what situations will I set them off and not set them off? I did not think about courthouse detectors. From what I have heard I can't get through airport detectors.

Has anyone ever gone through an airport detector and not set it off?

Are there other situations that I am not aware of that having these implants in me will cause bells and whistles to sound and guns being drawn?   :o

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:53:35 AM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

23109VC

Re: Metal detectors and other things
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
I'm the one who went through a courthouse detector and did not set it off....and that was only one detector..... Next week I'll try other ones....

I work there so go through them everyday....usually i get to bypass them as I am an employee, but I'll try them again next week at various entrances that have them.

At the airport when I left Columbia after my surgery, I don't even remember if I set it off..they saw me on crutches, I told them I had a hip and I must went to secondary....I don't even know of they scanned me..can't remember...

Like many things electronic... I'm sure these sensors all have adjustability and some are more sensitive than others?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:48:36 PM by 23109VC »
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

bigblue

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
I have set off the detectors everytime I have gone through them. They range from Augusta National Golf Club at the Masters to courthouses and airports. It just takes a few minutes longer to get through and you just allow for it. I will say that airports are much more invasive as far as pat downs. I am going to Scotland in July to play golf and I hope the scanners are in place at my departure airport. I kidded my buddies the last time that I did not care if they molested me but I really got upset when they molested my golf bag.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:53:08 PM by bigblue »

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
I always laugh when I open up my golf bags after a trip and see that warning card from TSA telling me they searched my golf clubs.

When I go through airports, I do the same thing, I fess up right away and I either get searched or put in that special scanner.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »
I have set off the detectors everytime I have gone through them. They range from Augusta National Golf Club at the Masters to courthouses and airports. It just takes a few minutes longer to get through and you just allow for it. I will say that airports are much more invasive as far as pat downs. I am going to Scotland in July to play golf and I hope the scanners are in place at my departure airport. I kidded my buddies the last time that I did not care if they molested me but I really got upset whrn they molested my golf bag.

Try to find the line with the cutest agent of the opposite sex because getting felt up is now part of the deal, everytime. Small price to pay for being pain free  8)

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
What is the most effective way to 'fess up' to get the least amount of hassle?  I've realised that I am going to have to make sure I am never late to the airport again (post surgery in a couple weeks), though I am curious as to the most effective way to deal with the situation.  I'm guessing here - but is it easier to say total hip replacement when that really isn't the case?  Has anyone had to explain this in a country where English isn't as fluent and is it just as easy to explain?  Any countries you might avoid?  

I wouldn't think that the surgeon's letter has as much weight as it used to now that everyone with a printer can print one out so I wonder how you could have this kind of information added to the new smart passports and how long it would be before the information is read from the smart chips at entry points to help with identification and reduce issues like this.  In a lot of ways, having me listed as being a bilateral hippy in the passport would certainly be an identifying marker of me (in addition to the other identifying markers).  Trying to duplicate or steal my passport to do something dodgy would then require a pretty major commitment and surgery...  lol...
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

halfdone

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »
I point at my hips and say "metal hips".  Everyone has understood so far, but I haven't yet been to Uzbekistan  ;). Mostly they are cooperative and put me through the new style screener if they have one.  They seem to use the wand metal detector in Europe mostly for secondary (as it used to be here) but last time in London it was more like a TSA pat down (or is it shake down?) (Oddly at Boston Logan on my last trip, even though they had one of the new screeners in operation, they still made me set off the metal detector and have the secondary.) 

(As far as countries I would avoid, the US TSA is high on my list.   ;D)

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
I also say "metal hip" and try to use the body scanner when available.  I always set off the airport metal detector, sometimes set off the courthouse/police metal detector, and did not set off the metal detector on the cruise ship. (They were more worried about me smuggling a bottle of rum on board). :)
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
If they really aren't gettin it you could always show em your scar...  just a thought hahaha

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
The next time you cruise hide your rum on your hip   ;D

Chuck

I also say "metal hip" and try to use the body scanner when available.  I always set off the airport metal detector, sometimes set off the courthouse/police metal detector, and did not set off the metal detector on the cruise ship. (They were more worried about me smuggling a bottle of rum on board). :)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

maxi

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
wont worry me to flash the scar and watch there faces. ..   ;D
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

23109VC

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »
I tried another metal detector at work today...I did not set it off!  I put my cell phone, keys, wallet, and other stuff back into my pocket, and then set it off.....

The guy who works the machine said he has had jurors with hip replacements not set it off.  I guess our courthouse metal detectors aren't so sensitive.. Now I don't feel so safe anymore!   Hope the bad guys aren't sneaking little guns into the building! 

Is the cobalt chromium that our implants are made from harder for the detectors to see than regular non surgical implant metal.....
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
Some THRs are titanium and I don't know if that sets it off.  I'm not sure exactly how a metal detector works, but I suspect it's more than simply magnetic, which would really only apply to Iron-bearing materials.  Maybe using density?  I've often wondered how much iron, and other metals including Cr, Co, and Mb are in the implant.  That's the sort of metallurgy detail that I don't think the average person will easilly be able to get from a huge prosthetic manufacturer.   

So how does a metal detector work?  Maybe that's the sort of info the TSA isn't too excited about letting out. 

BTW - The TSA will be searching me in a couple weeks on a flight to Salt Lake, do they slap a sticker on your butt that says "this area has been searched?" like they do for the bags? 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
I set off the metal detector at the Pentagon today!!! So we know security there is good. I told them about my hip prior to walking through, but I still had to go through and then they used the wand. I also happened to be a random one chosen to check for explosive materials residue on my skin.

hipnhop

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
I'm flying to Los Angeles on Monday out of Washington DC Dulles. I'll post my experience at the airport.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
Hip,
Interesting! I'm looking forward to read what happens. I'm actually wanting to go through a detector somewhere to see what happens.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Neild5

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »
Metal detectors can detect any metal that conducts electricity, setting off the detector is determined by how sensitive it is and what is covering the piece of metal.  Depending on the size of the person and what type of clothes they have on can have the same detector let one Hippy through and stop the next one.

To answer your other question about cobalt chrome, from www.totaljoints.info:

Every big manufacturer of artificial hip joints has developed one or more metal alloys to meet this requirement for different types of artificial joints he produces. New metal alloys appear continually on the market and the old alloys are withdrawn.  According to the base metals in  their composition there are :

Cobalt-Chrome alloys

the base metals are cobalt (> 34%) and chrome (>19%) mixed with smaller quantities of other metals, even nickel.

Some THRs are titanium and I don't know if that sets it off.  I'm not sure exactly how a metal detector works, but I suspect it's more than simply magnetic, which would really only apply to Iron-bearing materials.  Maybe using density?  I've often wondered how much iron, and other metals including Cr, Co, and Mb are in the implant.  That's the sort of metallurgy detail that I don't think the average person will easilly be able to get from a huge prosthetic manufacturer.   

So how does a metal detector work?  Maybe that's the sort of info the TSA isn't too excited about letting out. 

BTW - The TSA will be searching me in a couple weeks on a flight to Salt Lake, do they slap a sticker on your butt that says "this area has been searched?" like they do for the bags? 
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

resurface1

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
Folks... this is no brainer.  I fly 150K miles a year. Personally, I go for the scanner line to avoid the body search.  Not a fan of being searched by a dude. I set off the standard detector everytime.  There was the time in Strasbourg France when the hot, french female agent... sorry wrong forum:)

Don't worry about it.  I find in many airports - I fly out of Boston - do not always have it turned on or manned with TSA agents.

Happy flying...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:19:31 PM by resurface1 »

hipnhop

not a blink
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
just flew from DC to LAX and back four weeks post op and not a blink from TSA. New scanners dont see down to bone.  Kinda missed not setting off bells. 

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
hip,

Thanks for the report. I would be bummed out if I didn't set them off. Oh well.

Steve

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear