+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: RLS  (Read 2060 times)

B.I.L.L.

RLS
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »
Anybody else in here have restless leg syndrome ? Where you can't sleep because you can't lay still for more than 30 seconds or so without an uncontrollable urge to move your legs ?  I don't think my bhr has anything to do with it but it was never really a big problem until recently (2-1/2 yrs out) I have had it off and on for years but it hasn't been a big issue until the last year and a half or so. I've looked into it quite a bit lately in the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep and haven't found anything to make me think it is related to having a bhr, but I'm curious to know how many you (if any) have this issue ? Sitting in the jacuzzi and or taking a vicodin will usually allow me to get back to sleep within an hour or so, but it has gotten to be quite the pain in the ass and the lack of sleep is noticable during the day, 3-5 hours of sleep aint cutting it. I am NOT saying the bhr has anything to do with it, if anything I think just the opposite because of the fact my hip pain is gone, just curious to know if any of you have dealt with this and what do you do about it. Some nights are worse than others and some nights I find myself on the computer at 3 am because I can't sleep because of it (like right now haha....) One more time I DO NOT believe it is related to my bhr in anyway, but I thought I would bring it up in here because quite honestly you guys are a fountain of knowledge and usually more help than my kaiser dr. :D Hope you are reading this pain free and fully rested haha, thanks for any feedback or info, Bill 8)

jjmclain

Re: RLS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »
BILL,

I have had mild cases of it over the years, particularly when I have been in training for a big event. All I know is that there are many causes, some as simple as an iron deficiency or caused by certain medications. I doubt it has anything to do with your hip. My episodes were all prior to my BHR, but then again, I am only 4 months post-op so no heavy training!!!

Good Luck and I hope your doctors get to the bottom of it!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
BILL,

I have had mild cases of it over the years, particularly when I have been in training for a big event. All I know is that there are many causes, some as simple as an iron deficiency or caused by certain medications. I doubt it has anything to do with your hip. My episodes were all prior to my BHR, but then again, I am only 4 months post-op so no heavy training!!!

Good Luck and I hope your doctors get to the bottom of it!

Thanks jjmclain, Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with my hip, I tried to mention that a couple times so anyone skimming my post would hopefully catch that and not think I was blaming the bhr. Over the last 2-1/2 - 3 years I have gotten all kinds of information from the people on this site so I thought I'd throw it out there. I've heard iron deficiency for women and magnesium deficiency for men, so I've been taking magnesium but haven't really noticed any difference. Too bad it's not from chromium and cobalt defiancency, haha. My doctors solution is the same solution for almost every problem, Vicodin. Trying to find a better route, thanks 8) 

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
Bill,

I also have my husband massage my legs and that helps and puts me to sleep!!!!

June

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
I have it now (5 weeks post-op).  For years my wife had issues with it and so did her mom and I always thought they should be getting more exercise.  Anyway, I get it really bad when I'm sitting in the easy chair and I've had a couple beers.  I think it's fairly common for alcohol to exacerbate it.  I am early in recovery so I'm not sure how long it will be an issue, but I do think it has to do with the new joint and new swelling? a new pinch point?  Who knows.   I think the fact that RLS has been studied quite a bit and there is still a fair amount of debate about it's source, means that very small changes around a nerve might be all it takes to get the legs restless.  It's almost the sort of thing, where all you have to do is say RLS and then you have it. 

For me, simply changing positions is all I really need and I don't have a problem with it laying in bed.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat