+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long will I limp?  (Read 5635 times)

Northrum

How long will I limp?
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:15:52 AM »
I had the BHR on January 19th with the anterior approach.  I am a 48 year old male who according to the surgeon was in very good shape.  I was released from the hospital on the 21st.  I used a walker the day of surgery and a cane for two days afterwards.  I did PT for three weeks. My therapist was great!  He worked me hard.  I started light weight training at the end of three weeks and am back to riding my mountain bike.  My surgeon has told me that I have no restriction and can "ease" into any activity.  The only thing I have not tried to do is run.  I am worried that I still have a slight limp.  Is this normal?  If so, how long can I expect to limp?  Thank you!

svanci02

Re: How long will I limp?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:21:40 AM »
My Pt told me to use a cane to not limp until I can walk without a limp or your body will get use to the limp!
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
I had my first done in August, went through three months of PT and limped until close to three months on that hip. I don't have a limp at all on that, but I was able to walk quite a bit since there was no snow/ice/etc... from winter.

I had my second done in  November, and due to the brutal winter here in NE, was able to still do the three months of PT, but nowhere near the amount of walking. I still have a slight limp, am doing 20 mins of stationary bike, 10 mins of treadmill and walking as much as possible. If I pay attention when walking, no limp. I think it works itself out, so long as you are active and put stress on both walking correctly as well as keeping up with your exercises.

I plan on doing a lot of walking now that it's balmy out (25-40 degrees  :D)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »
My PT is focusing a lot on the limp.  I'm 5 weeks post op and when I get moving, I lose the limp.  I can walk on a treadmill and there is no limp.  My non-op leg is starting to act up though and so I think I'm keeping some of the limp from that.  Generally though, when I just start moving I have a moderate limp.  Anyway, the PT work that I do is really geared at moving through a full stride (on a stair, or just walking) and keeping square and not limping.  He has me do very specific exercises to cut the limp out.  I'm doing 2 sessions a week and I will go for another 3 weeks or so, that's a total of 6 weeks of PT.  I think it helps a lot.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

chris finn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »
My Pt told me to use a cane to not limp until I can walk without a limp or your body will get use to the limp!

Now thats strange...I was told the total opposite. Both my Pt and my surgeon said to walk unaided as soon as possible or you get used to the support and the limp will be harder to get rid of.  ??? ???
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »

Now thats strange...I was told the total opposite. Both my Pt and my surgeon said to walk unaided as soon as possible or you get used to the support and the limp will be harder to get rid of.  ??? ???

Maybe you could compromise...carry the cane but not use it.

;)
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

svanci02

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »
I love that idea!!!
I think that someone posted to listen to your body as we are all diff, that sounds about right as I sure have seen a diff from one side to the other.
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

jjmclain

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »
I think everyone is different. I limped prior to surgery...no limp afterwards. I was restricted to 50% weight-bearing with 2 crutches for 3 weeks, then 1 crutch for one week. At four weeks, went for my first post-op, was told to get rid of the crutches and the 90 degree rule was lifted. I walked out of the surgeon's office (like a baby learning to walk!), but didn't limp and was walking normally in a day.

Some people still limp because their other side is bad and some limp due to muslce imbalances that need to be corrected through PT. Some limp due to bad habits!

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
I'm about six weeks post op and on a good day I think I can walk without a limp if I"m up and walking arouind... if I sit for too long, when I first get up I am sore and limp for a few minutes....

toward the end of the day, or if I have really pushed it and walked too far I think I limp a bit...

is there a general time frame when one shoudl expect to walk without a limp, or is it really totally different for everyone?

If I could be walking without a limp even by 2-3 months post op... I'd be happy.. i don't care if it takes 6 months... as long as it eventually is GONE.

:)
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
I'm super stiff when I get up and start to walk, but the limp is almost totally gone after I get loosened up.  That takes a good 10 minutes of walking, though.  The un-operated leg though is now making me limp, so it's hard to say what exacty is going on.  I have been planning on this whole process to take about 3 years (1 year of research, 1 year for left side surgery/recovery, 1 year for the right side).  That sounds long, doesn't it?  well, I guess if it's less, then all the better, right?

I've heard of the limp sticking around for a few months, but like everyone has said, we're all different.  I think the more you focus on making a clean stride without a limp, the sooner the limp will go away. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
You guys just need to get your other hip done.  If you're favoring both sides, you won't limp...   ;)
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
I am three weeks Post op and still I still limp pretty bad. PT told me to focus on taking normal strides. I think that six months on crutches prior to surgery has me all lopsided. They told me to walk like I'm marching and focus on a heel strike.  As a runner I avoid heel strikes but think it will be good to help me resume a normal walk.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat