+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Low Back Pain - Did you have it, does it go away?  (Read 2115 times)

Lucid

Low Back Pain - Did you have it, does it go away?
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
My story:

35 y/o male. FAI in both hips.  Left hip symptomatic.  Had arthroscopic surgery with Dr. Byrd for FAI on left hip 2 years ago.  Everything was fine except for a grade 3 cyst on my femoral head.  Current X-rays look good, my ortho says, "if I didn't know better, I'd say you didn't have arthritis"

The problem: I'm in alot of pain.  Recently the majority of my pain has shifted into my lower back/SI area.  Starting to consider resurfacing with Dr. Gross.

The question: Did you have lower back pain prior to resurfacing?  Did resurfacing 'fix' your lower back pain?

Thanks!!

hernanu

Re: Low Back Pain - Did you have it, does it go away?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm not a professional, so I can't tell you where your pain may come from. So after that disclaimer, I did have significant back pain that went away after the first procedure. Most of the improvement seemed to come then. I have since had a second on my right hip, but the pain had really gone away since then. I also had a lot of shoulder stiffness and pain, which I attribute to the constant pain from the hips; that's gone as well.

I actually celebrated four weeks after my second hip with a massage. I had many massages before the surgeries, but they never seemed to do much to relax me as my body was always tense. This last massage was amazing. It was the first time I felt relaxed after a massage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:05:14 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lucid

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
That is interesting that you mention shoulder pain. I have shoulder issues on the opposite side... which of course made perfect sense to my chiropractor (sarcasm).

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Yeah, everything makes sense in retrrospect.  ::) The improvement from the surgery for me did not stop at the hips, really pointed out the toll it took on my body overall.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Neild5

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
I had severe low back pain with constant spasms.  I also know I have 4 bad discs there but since the LRS 29 days ago I have had 1 back spasm and my back is just about pain free.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Was diagnosed with "sever degenerative disc disease" about five years ago.  My back went severely out on me at that time, so I had x-rays done.  Intermittent back pain since then, but also whenever I went on a long walk my back would sieze up to a degree and make it extremaly difficult to do the walk.

The OA in my hips also caused me to walk with a noticeably bent forward gait.  I am sure that this also exacerbated my back pain.  After my first hip resurfacing I would still get the pain when walking, but only on my right (non-operated) side.  Since my second operation I have had no back pain at all, but I also haven't started walking much.  We will see after my follow-up next week when I can hopefully discard my crutches and start walking several miles a day again.  I'm very hopeful that most of my back pain will be gone for good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:48:30 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz