+-

Author Topic: finsbury/dupuy ceramic RS device  (Read 9803 times)

Dannywayoflife

finsbury/dupuy ceramic RS device
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
I have just recieved word from a surgeon that finsbury/dupuy are developing a ceramic on ceramic RS device that should be on the market next year. It may be named the delta surf. Ill post any more info i gain as and when i get it.
Danny Out
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Dannywayoflife

Re: finsbury/dupuy ceramic RS device
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
I've been told that the device will be made from the 4th generation delta ceramic which has drastically improved fracture resistance.
Apparently they are aiming to release around the end of 2012
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

lori.36

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
That sounds really good.  I am getting a BHR on 5/11, so not soon enough for me.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »
good luck lori!
                   yes this device does sound very interesting! just hope i can hold out long enough to get one!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:32:48 AM »
Ceramic Finsbury, uncemented Finsbury, is there going to be an uncemented ceramic Finsbury?

I know you are looking for an implant that will last you for life, and ceramic is harder than metal (in general), but does that mean it will last longer? A properly placed MOM device should not wear out. At least I hope. Is the ceramic device for patients who are allergic to metal, or is it a general replacement for MOM devices?

Danny Life, you are looking around for the latest developments, but sooner or later you will have to commit yourself.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »
hi lopsided,
               from what info ive managed to get the cementless device may not make it to the market. And no the ceramic device will not be cementless. It is being designed to be a replacment for MOM. As for longevity with MOM im sorry but i struggle to belive that a mom device will not eventually wear out! I am after all only 28 and potentially i would say be in need of RS in the next 18 months and am not planning on popping my clogs in the next 20 years!. (I am curently managing my simptoms with anti inflamitorys and soon to start steroid shots)
What is wrong with researching for the best device for me? at the end of the day isnt that what this site is for to be a information hub for people in a similar position?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
  • ... soon to start steroid shots
  • What is wrong with researching for the best device for me?

Danny,

For your own sake, I would not recommend steroid shots. They might give you some short term benefit, or not, but they are very likely to limit your window for resurfacing.

Yes you should research (did I say you should not?). You are younger than me, I am forty seven. I do not particularly want another operation either. Nor, I imagine, would anyone else on this site who has had resurfacing already. I consider myself lucky to have had resurfacing. When I was in Gent, there was another patient, several years younger than you, who did not have the choice of resurfacing, he had bilateral THRs with large ceramic ball and liner and titanium stem. It seems pretty good, but he knows that the stem over the long term might suffer from metal fatigue and might not last him for life. But he was still pleased to get it.

When I did my research, it seemed important to me to get uncemented, that cement has a potential to fail.

You don't even know how long you are going to live. I hope you live long. So do your research, get what you consider the best, commit yourself, enjoy your new hips and know that there are no guarantees.

Dan

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:09:34 AM by lopsided »

jjmclain

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
Danny,

Too many anti-inflammatories and steroid shots could cause enough damage and prevent you from being a suitable candidate for resurfacing. They both can deteriorate the bone! I am 4 1/2 mths post-op from a left BHR and feel like I have been given my life back. I was 48 at the time of surgery, now 49, but am more active than most 28 year olds, as I think a lot of us on this site are!!! I hope you come to a solution that will help you!!

JM

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
lopsided,
           thanks for your reply, i too think that uncemented is the way forward as after all uncemented is proven technology in thr with the stems. However i am so far unable to find a surgeon in the UK that will even consider an uncemented device. When asking why the all state that Mr Mcminns early experiments with uncemented femoral components didnt work out well! When i point out that as far as im aware that then there wasnt the technology to provide a good bone ingrowth surface and that the comoponents were essentially very similar to the cemented component they dont seem to have an answer!
I have pointedout DR Gross's encoraging early results but once again they say nothing in return.
If any of you know any surgeons in the UK that do uncemented RS please let me know so i can make contact.
As for the anti inflammatories at the mo im relying on natural ones ie, devils claw and rose hip 90% of the time and only using ibuprofen very sparingly.(i should have mentioned that earlyier)
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
Yo Danny,

I did try surgeons in England, as I have family and could stay there. I have not lived in England or paid stamps for twenty years so I could not do NHS, but it would have been convenient. I was sorely disappointed with English surgeons. I did find one that said he could do uncemented, or at least one of his PAs said so. But it turned out he was aloof, out of touch, interested in pushing his own device, wanted expensive consultations, and, in my view he was a right merchant banker. So much for England.

If you can afford to go private, get the Chunnel to Gent and get done by Dr. De Smet.

Dan - considerably less lopsided than before the operation

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
im affraid that going private really isnt an option! I wish i could afford it but just dont have thousands available to fund it! As im sure your aware that with the nhs most people over here dont have a private insurance policy. Mind i will look into finances. Roughly how much would it cost for me to go to De smet? (heres where my eyes start to water!!)
Glad your hip is going great for you!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
here's where my eyes start to water!

It cost me 11,000 euros, plus another couple of thousand to stay in the clinic (now you might have to stay in a hotel), eurostar and belgium chocolate. It actually cost me more for long haul flights with big seats for me and the missus. I had a second house, I sold it.

When I met Dr. De Smet before surgery, he said 'The good news is that there is a ninety nine percent chance of it lasting you ten years,' and I quickly replied, 'I want fifty!' I recommend him.

D.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
 :o :o :o :o thats not far off a years wage for me!!! i wish that i could afford that but i doubt it!!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Vijay Bose in Chennai quoted under 5 grand, the logistics put me off, he's done a lot of athletes including the triathlete Cory Faulk, who has thousands of miles on his. He does BHR though. He will quote on an x ray by e mail.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
5000 that I may be able to afford!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
bose5vijay@hotmail.com
Here's the web site:
www.hipresurfacingindia.com

horse doc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »

Here are a couple of links i dug up regarding Deltasurf:

http://pih.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/06/16/0954411911411605.abstract

http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2011/pdf/109.pdf

anyone else heard anything?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
It's been in development for a while but I doubt it will be on the Market for a while yet.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

johnd_emd

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Not to mention how long it will take for patient trials to show some concrete statistics and outcomes. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
That's right. I think long term that ceramic will be the material of choice but it will be a long time before theres any real data on it. That's a long time after the patient trials. Something I have learnt in the last 18 months is that things in orthopaedics move very slowly.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter