+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Bike - endurance races  (Read 3927 times)

phillwad

Mountain Bike - endurance races
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
Well I am 10 days post Right Hip BHR, done here in Cleveland.  Feeling good, moving on crutches and have been outside walking on the sidewalk - I am pleased.

Does anyone have any experience in Mountian Bike racing, in particular long distance 80 mile plus races post BHR?

I have in the past done a number of 100K Mountain Bike Races and I am looking forward to getting back to riding - once my second hip is done and I have fully recovered. I need help to know how to set the goal - thanks - Phill

moe

Re: Mountain Bike - endurance races
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »
Hi Phil, congrats on your new hip.

I'm a former road and mtb racer, although I stopped years ago before onset of hip issues. Even though I no longer race I still ride at a high level, regularly keeping up with strong riders 20 years younger. The point is, if you did long mtb races before you should have no problem doing them again after you are fully healed. It will all depend on your level of fitness. Your hips should not limit you in my opinion. Of course a lot of this hinges on the surgeon doing his job correctly. If he messes up, well then you could have issues. Lets hope that's not the case, the overwhelming majority of people have no problems.

I'm 58 years old and ride a rigid 29er on rocky/rooty technical NE trails. My hips never hurt, although sometimes I feel it takes bit longer to get loose and warm up. That could be old age though, lol!

Hope this helps and good luck, moe

Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »
Moe -

Thanks for the info and encouragement.  I and looking forward to getting back on the bike and riding with friends and doing some competition but I know it will be next year.  The intensity of a mountain bike race, as you said, will require full recovery.  So I know it will be a year before I race the cyclocross and mountain bike again, but before  then there are plenty of "base" mile rides that can be done. 

I might also try some bike randonneuring - long distance, chekpoint rides, 200 to 400K where the pace is much more relaxed. 

Where is your favourate ride?  I like the Mohican trail south of Cleveland, about 27 miles of single track and a bunch of climbs

Cheers - Phill

moe

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »
Phil, I don't have a specific favorite trail, but here in Southern New England there are about six different areas close by that have really good single track. No huge climbs or descents but lots of short sharp ups and downs, lots of rocks and rock gardens. I've ridden Moab and Flagstaff also, lots of great trails in the Southwest. Have you been there?

Just listen to your body and ease back into things and you will be fine. Think long term. I never thought I would be able to ride like this again. I started off on a trainer at around 3-4 weeks post op, it was a bit tricky with both hips done. I set up a little step ladder so I could get on and off safely. At 7 weeks I went on the road, put 32c tires on the 29er and it was good to go. You'll get there.

Hope this helps, 

moe

phillwad

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Moe - I think it is funny reading some of the posts - I too have a little step ladder that I use to get on the bike.  I have been focusing on walking and only using the bike as a "back up" when the weather outside is to bad.  Today is 4 weeks post op so I think I am going to pick up a little more serious on the indoor trainer, maybe take off my daughters step through frame and put the Ridley (cyclocross bike) back on so I can be ready to go outside again.  I will keep the Cannondale MTB for riding outside and get back on some softer trails.

I also have the long term view, it is not about missed a couple of great rides in May and June, it is about being fast and strong for next year.  

I am wondering if I should put flat peddles on to start off with or stay with the clip ons - any suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers - Phill
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:51:50 PM by phillwad »

moe

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
You have a good plan Phil.....I started out with my regular clipless pedals, I just put the tension adjustment on minimum.
I did that on the trainer also.

moe

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz