+-

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing and Age  (Read 1426 times)

hipnhop

Hip Resurfacing and Age
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
Has there been any discussion into the appropriateness of post surgery plans and younger patients? Not to sound like an ageist but I think our recovery plans are too similar to that of older patients (say 65+).  None of my health care professionals seem sympathetic to the need of a younger patient: need to be more active, inability to take time off for work, our willingness to push, psychological issues of impairment and impending knowledge that we will have to go through this again (THR).

I told my surgeon I had to go on a business trip in the fifth week post op and she got mad at me. I understand her point but I am a mid career professional. She wanted me to be on three month travel restriction. That's impossible. I would go broke. An older patient my be retired (or accumulated a lot of sick and vacation time) and not face issues taking as much time off.

I know it is all about out health but I want to push thought. What do you think? What does research say?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

obxpelican

Re: Hip Resurfacing and Age
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
You may or may not be in the mood to travel a lot 5 weeks post-op  YMMV though.

Remember this is about making you better and your health does come first, you cannot work if you do not have your health.

Now who knows, you might be fine and ready to go 4 weeks post-op.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
Keep in mind that many doctors consider resurfacing to be most appropriate for people under 65, so I do not think that the expectations of the experienced surgeons, nor what you read on this site, is geared towards retired people over 65. That would historically be true of THRs, but the concept of resurfacing is geared towards the younger more active individual, like yourself. Many people that you will read about on this site are active athletes, who have a training background that understands how to "push", and I am pretty sure that the vast majority are well under 65. Like you, I expected that my recovery would be faster than most; whoops, reality check, this is major surgery.
On the other hand, at least in my case, business travel would have been reasonable after 6 weeks, and I do not believe that my doctor would have objected, as long as I got up and walked around on the plane, or wherever I might be, on a regular basis.
On a positive note, it is far from a given that you will have to go to a THR someday. Resurfacing is too new to tell, but one study from early metal on metal resurfacings showed near 100% survival at 30 years, so there is room for optimism in how long these implants may last.
Best of luck.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

svanci02

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:55:18 AM »
You want to be careful, no matter how old or young you are, you body has to have so much time to heal, no amout of exercise can make it heal any faster.
R THR 2/3/11
L THR 3/3/11

resurface1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »
Hey hipnhop

I am just about 1 year post op.  The early days fade quickly.  Part of the issue is that there are no standard post-op protocols.  For me, I had virtually no restrictions post op.  I recall my surgeon wanting me to wait a few weeks before I traveled.  I can't recall how many. 

I got right into rehab and within 4 months I was cycling 100 miles a week and back doing yoga.  The only advise that I have is that pushing the rehab - due to being young - often leads to set backs.  I "pushed" but did not "push through" anything!  Rehab does not abide by the no pain / no gain rule.

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:54:03 AM »
There is probably a fine line between pushing it, and pushing it too far...

If you want to push it, just listen to your body.  And don't push so far you cause a setback.  

As for traveling, I'm at five weeks post op, and traveling would not be a problem at this point...but everyone is different...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:55:07 AM by 23109VC »
Sean
Dr. Gross- Biomet uncemented, 2/23/11

Eitan

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »
I hear you on this one:  Basically no one is sympathetic to my needs.  Before surgery I never had a frank discussion with my doc about when I was going back to work etc.  I saw him recently at the 3 week post op point (I was operated on March 7th) and told him I was going back to part time work April 1st.  He said to me "I don't have any real objections, but you should know that most of my patients, even the young ones, take AT LEAST 3 months off work".  I was like "Dude I can't afford 3 months".  Anyway, he was pretty sympathetic, and just advised me to have enough Advil's and Tyelenol's to get through the day.  Anyway, if you read posts from people that have been resurfed in India etc alot of them are travelling 2-3 weeks after surgery, so I don't see any huge problems with your business trip at 5 weeks, but that's just my opinion.  I also agree with the other posters about "pushing it".  My worst enemy since surgery has been me. Each time I have "pushed it" since surgery I was suffering that same night with terrible groin pain.  Now I am finally catching on, going slower, and I am glad to say that I do definitely see improvements, and the groin pain is lessening.

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear