+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking forward to riding again  (Read 4751 times)

BrianROC

Looking forward to riding again
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
Two and a half years ago I sold my bike.   At the time we were relocating from Southern California to Rochester and it was one less thing to move.   My hips were starting to get bad at the time.  After riding, my legs would be stiff when I got off my bike and it was painful to move my feel from the pegs to the ground. 

In December 2010 I had bi-laterial hip resurfacing.  15 weeks later, and with spring approaching I am ready to ride again.  This past weekend I went looking at bikes.  Before my surgery, my hips got so bad I could not put my leg over a bike.   Now I can sit on a bike pain free.  I am very excited and can't wait to ride again.  I am hoping to pick up a bike in the next few weeks. 

I'm also looking forward to running and playing basketball again this summer, but I need another couple of months for that.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Re: Looking forward to riding again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »
Brian,

Sounds like you're doing real well.

I have a similar story. Four years ago I bought a 4 wheeler to plow snow in my driveway and to ride with my wife on ATV trails near our home. Back then when I got off after riding I was really stiff and could hardly walk. Two years ago I stopped riding it because I could hardly get on it and I could not sit forward in the riding position at all. I simply could not spread my legs far enough apart to even ride. I almost sold it last year but then I would have to buy something else to plow snow. I have a long driveway and part of it is a hill. My son did the plowing the last few Winters.

I tried sitting on it about 2 weeks ago. (9 weeks post op). I dreaded trying it all this time because of all the things that hurt before surgery, this was probably the most painful.

I very cautiously sat on it. I could not believe it! I am able to easily put my leg over the seat and sit completely forward in the riders position! Absolutely no pain, soreness, NOTHING! When I get off there is NO pain or stiffness at all. It's amazing isn't it?

Get yourself a nice bike and go riding. I can't wait to go riding my 4 wheeler.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

BrianROC

Re: Looking forward to riding again
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
Steve,

Your situation sounds so similar to mine.  I'm glad to hear things are going well for you and your hips are healing up.  I was nervous when I first went to sit on a bike the other weekend.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get on it.  I was so happy when I was able to swing my leg over the bike and sit down.  Let's hope things keep improving. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat