+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How soon back to gym upper body or exercise bike?  (Read 4362 times)

23109VC

How soon back to gym upper body or exercise bike?
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »
I'm curious when many of you resumed some kind of exercise routine?

I am coming up on six weeks post op and my body feels like it would be ok with me doing stuff like curls, bench press, etc....but my protocol says not to lift stuff over 50 lbs...so I'm not doing any weights.... 

I'm mot doing any exercise but for the stuff my doctor told me to... I feel out of shape... I've definitely aimed weight... I could stand to lose 15 lbs.... Darn that waffle machine at the hotel near the hospital!!,   ;D

Seriously..... When r u all going back to an exercise bike, a treadmill (walking of course..not running), light dumbbells, etc?

I'd like to do even pushups or non weight things to start toning my arms, chest.... I hate feeling flabby!

Thanks!

And if I have to wait six months to do any of that stuff...I'll do it.... But wondered what the norm was...
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hipnhop

Re: How soon back to gym upper body or exercise bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
I took my pt down to my basement gym and he basically said I can do all upper body exercises but just to watch how I get on the bench or position my body and not to break 90 degree rule.

I have a treadmill and elliptical and he said to do each for no more than 15 minutes and a few light leg extensions on the bench. I do the rest:

He really urged me to work out at home than going to the gym to avoid infection. I though he made a good point. I am only 3 weeks post op so I think your incision is more healed than mine but I would be careful. Gyms are a cesspool of funky bacteria. I'll send you my "Safe" upper body exercises but check with you doc first.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Like you I am ready to get in the gym but as I can not "feel" the bone strength I will be following the doctors advise. Yesterday we set up a bike on teh trainer so I should be able to spin for a while on low/no resistance - be good to be doing something new.

Ernie

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:09 AM »
I too was wondering about this.  I'm 3 days post surgery and not that eager to do anything, but when I do, it seems to me that pull ups and dips which put no weight on the lower body couldn't hurt, as long as I was careful.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
In both of my hips, I did 3 weeks of in home PT (basic exercises, stretching). Then at 4 weeks, went to outpatient PT where the first thing they did was to put me on a spinning bike for 10 minutes, no resistance. They checked the settings for the seat, handlebars, etc. so that no stress was put on me. At first, it was problematic since I had no wind at all, and the seat was a bit uncomfortable, but that passed quickly.

I also did a bunch of exercises which included the four way leg lift, balancing and a whole bunch of core exercises. They had found that due to my condition, my abdominal muscles were much weaker than the rest of me. They set me on a whole bunch of abusive exercises which I continue to this day, so buff up that part of me. Towards the end of the 5 weeks of PT, I started doing leg presses on a machine (no free weights). I started at 180 lbs for 30 repetitions, by the time I left I was at 210 for 30.

I've since gone back to the gym, had one slight scare in that I strained my (non-operative) groin muscle doing 220 lbs on a different kind of leg press machine. I had to scale it back, since I want to be really conservative; I was doing 450 lbs before the surgery, but don't want the "I have to get back to where I was immediately" part of my personality take over. Nice 'n 'slow is what I want to do.

Hope that helped.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bdoughty

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
I bought a set of weight bands (Bodylastics) and started doing some light upper body excercises in addition to home PT in 2nd week. At 3-week checkup, Dr. gave OK for stationary bike, treadmill, eliptical, swimming/whirlpool - I've been to gym for bike & treadmill, going to wait another week or so before pool/whirlpool (the infection thing). Also began out-patient PT last week and today therapist said OK to begin some light weight work for leg (sitting leg extensions, curls plus leg presses on machine where I can lay flat). So tomorrow I'll probably add that plus upper body weight work at gym. I'll continue to use bands as supplement on off days.

Bill
LBHR
Dr. James Rector
3/2/11

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
I got everything set up at home but I jsut don't feel ready.  I think I will wait a few more days till I do bike and weights.  I thought I would neversay that but I think being a little conservative is smart.  I'll wait to 4 weesks post op to try to get back in shape.  I gained 20lbs since I got floored by Cortisone shot.  I hope to lose it by june.

Dayton96

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
I know the feeling Sean.  I can't wait to get back into running.  I'm ten days out from surgery and still doing the Phase 1 exercises.  I'm bitting at the bit wanting to do more of my regular stretching exercises.  I've been to Dr. Gross' web site trying to find the Phase II exercises (does anyone know where those are?).  I've put on ten pounds since Christmas and will probably put on some more short term.

I keep reminding myself though that I picked an uncemented device that needs time for the bone to grow into the device.  One hope I have is that short term patience will result in long term positive results.  That means I don't want to do anything, at least in the next six months, that might cause the new implant to fail.  I'm going to the YMCA in a couple of weeks to start some upper body work, but I know there isn't a lot I can do with the 50 pound restriction.  I also thought I would start doing some walking in the water with a weight belt on, once the incision has healed.  I'm walking with a cane right now and will start walking at the local high school track as soon as the wet weather clears up.  I want to be able to walk two miles a day by week six.  

Patience my friend.  I've enjoyed reading your posts these past few months and I'm looking forward to reading how well you are doing on your one year anniversary.

Mac    

Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
I have never been fat, but I've always had to watch what I eat....  I normally weigh about 180-185... I'd like to be 175... Before my hip surgery,mi coildnt run, and cardio was doable, but difficult.... Now that I'll eventually be able to do cardio again, maybe 175-180 will ne a realistic goal... Right now, however, I'm hovering around 200 pounds and it drives me nuts.  I need to drop 20 pounds !  If I could do the stair master or a bike, I could start sweating it off!  BUT Like you said... I'll be patient and wait until everything is ready..and if it means six months, I'll wait six months.

I thought I remember Dr. Gross saying after six weeks a stationary bike was ok... Like an indoor exercise bike...no outside real bike because of the fear of crashing... But before I get on any exercise machine I'll verify that with his staff....

I'm also not sure if the 50 lb weight limitation was for six weeks or six months...I feel like I could easily do an upper body workout...but don't want to unless I get the OK from the Dr.

I am anxious to play racquetball but that is for sure something i will WAIT SIX MONTHS to try...but if i can be on an exercise bike sooner, i sure would like to Try...Can't wait to get back in shape!! 
Sean

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
Stationary bikes!  Geez, I must have been worse off than I thought.  I am 6-weeks and I still can't get a sock on very well on the op leg.  I stopped riding a bike about a year ago due to the poor ROM in both legs.  Maybe it's the posterier restrictions.  Hey - tomorrow the restrictions are lifted, maybe I'll magically be able to ride a bike.  Sorry for the rhetoric.  Actually, I do think in a few weeks I'll have that ROM back or at least see some noticeable differene in ROM.  My PT wanted me to try the bike a couple weeks ago and I couldn't bring the leg to the top of the circle. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dayton96

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Sorry Sean, but the 50 lb restriction is for six months (I checked with Lee on that before my surgery).
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

23109VC

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:34 AM »
Sorry Sean, but the 50 lb restriction is for six months (I checked with Lee on that before my surgery).

Bummer.....but I was kind of figuring that was the rule....at least I can pick up my little kids...

Maybe I could just lift the light stuff....I could get a kller workout of my shoulders and arms with all under 50 lb weights!! 

Six week xrays and follow up is around the corner!

Sean

hipnhop

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »
I think we should all just wait till we are healed. Our bodies are talking to us and saying "not now grasshoppers." Like all of us, we are used to being athletic and moving.  Motivation is not the issue. I know everyone is ready to Bike, Run, Dance, Swim, Shuffle Board (well maybe not that one...) but we have to realize that we just had  our sides opened up, muscles cut and bone sawed away.

We'll drop the extra pounds like Shania Twain drops hits (didn't think I would come up with that reference - did ya?).

I don't know if dieting right now is a good idea given we need to fuel our bodies to heal. I have never lost weight through dieting. It has always been through intense, endurance activity. Any one have ideas on dieting during recovery?

pasinvabch

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
Thanks for all responses so i can get an idea of what to expect. I was planning to do some light upperbody exercises w/ bands and dumbels on week 2. I'm only allowed to put 25% of my weight on the left so I'm using a walker (post op 1 week today). Yesterday I walked for 1.2m (the farthest I ever gone) but it took me over 1h &30 min. I took a couple of breaks on the way and at night i was tired. The pt told me to walk as much as possible but I don't want to overdo it....I see the doc in 6 days I guess I better let him know about the weight training I would like to do. I do not think the doc is going to let me near a tread or elliptical any time soon :'(
How long did you all take the pain meds for? I read some of you discarded them quick. Im not that brave. I take less each day.....but still do
Piedad

pasinvabch

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »
Hipnhop, no I do not think we should do a super restrictive diet right now but maybe consuming more fruits and veggies, legumes and whole wheat products and less processed and sugary foods (that is what I want when I'm feeling down). We went from being so active to almost nothing so I know I have to watch my calories (on top of that being female and over 45 does not help)
What helped me was about 6 week prior to the op, I started to eat really healthy ( kind of do anyways) but it put me on a mind set for now.... I try to eat the good stuff and then I wont have much room for the other. I miss my glass of wine!! I do not think I can take it with the meds....
But of course this is week one......my will is strong now
Piedad

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
Piedad, I'm glad you have a healthy diet, it's probably helping you out a lot. My PT and nurses emphasized the massive challenge that was made to my body during the surgery. They did counsel that I eat enough protein to help the body produce what it needs in an abnormal time. I am changing my diet now, but I am 4 months down the road, and still taking the vitamines that were prescribed for me for the duration.

Anyways, it sounds like you're making good progress, keep it up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
makes sense, protein helps build muscle. Going to get some protein powder and mix it with my oatmeal. If I am not going to train as hard I def need to watch what I eat. No one told me about vitamins. Anyone have a good post op diet to share.  I needed 3400 calories a day when training. I wonder how many I need now?

AlanN

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
I did first 6 weeks of exercises 2-3 times a day at home then was back in the gym the 7th week.

Just build the intensity steadily and no heavy lifting for 6 months is what my surgeon told me :)
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

phillwad

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
I am keep a record of my training using Training Peaks on-line stuff.  I have been focused on 10 hours of exercise a week for most of last year as I was trying hard not to need surgery, post op (March 18th) I have kept the same time focus of 10 hours - range of motion, stretching, following doctors orders.  This switch from "hard hard" to "how long - 10hours" a week has allowed me to stay motivated but still sane (do not ask my kids!!)

This 3rd week post op I have done the range of motion exercise a couple of times a day and try to get an hour of walking in per day - however far that is in an hour - distance does not matter just getting outside.  Yesterday it was 3.1 miles in 63 min - good walk and I feel happy - clunk, clunk, clunk on the crutches.  I carry my gps and download the route onto the training log site - OK I am a bit of a techy!!!!!  A couple of times this week I have got on my daughters bike - step through frame - on the trainer in the basement.  I rode for 30, 45 and then 60 min - no load and low cadance - but is back on the bike and an alternative to do if is raining outside 

I was looking on Craigs list for a couple of free weights so I can do some sitting upper body exercises - but cannot drive:-(
So I am, like others, missing the upperbody workouts.

keep thinging long term - Phill

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »

- however far that is in an hour - distance does not matter just getting outside. 

phillwad,

That's a good way to think about it. Sometimes we get too hung up on numbers (reps, distance, time, etc.) You have to deal with those things when training for competition, but this is no game. I guess you could say, enjoy the trip, we will reach the destination.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat