+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: June Resurfacing Scheduled I have some questions????  (Read 2000 times)

floridaguy

June Resurfacing Scheduled I have some questions????
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
I am have the BHR in June.  question 1.   Where is the incision?   Question 2.  I live in a 2 story house all the bedrooms are upstairs.  If I need to stay on the first floor, how long?  Question 3.  I love to swim, how long before you can get back in the pool?  Last question and I expect answers all over the board, but that's OK.  All said and done does this cost $30K, $40k, $50K, $100K.  My insurance is working on the approval right now but I have to pay a percentage and I am wondering in abstract what this could cost.  Thanks :)

hipnhop

Re: June Resurfacing Scheduled I have some questions????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
It's on my left butt cheek about 10 inches. There are different approaches so speak to your surgeon.  You will find people who experienced different type of incisions. Ask around and read the posts.  My staples came out two weeks post op and now I have a regular dressing on it.

I thought I would needed to stay on my first floor but I really didn;t. I knew how to use crutches well so stairs were not a problem. Just make sure you know how to use them and that you have handrails. I slept in my office (made my sons bring down a bed and all) and only used it once. My bed is much more comfortable and TV is right there.

I am a triathlete and swam alot. I swam three days a week and the day before my surgery. I am dying to get back in the pool. I thought I would be able to do it when the Staples came out but my doc wants me to wait an additional two weeks. You don't want an infections so follow doctors orders. I plan to wait till my 6 weeks post op appt and see what my suregeon says.

I got clearance to drive at 2 weeks.

My surgery cost approx 40k
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
Most doctors will have you in therapy in the hospital, you should be able to do steps at home with no problem.  The incision is on your hip area and wraps slightly around towards your butt cheek.  Most doctors want your incision healed and without scabs before water work and no frog type kicks.  Most doctors will also limit your range of motion to 90 degrees at your hip.

Good luck.

Chuck

I am have the BHR in June.  question 1.   Where is the incision?   Question 2.  I live in a 2 story house all the bedrooms are upstairs.  If I need to stay on the first floor, how long?  Question 3.  I love to swim, how long before you can get back in the pool?  Last question and I expect answers all over the board, but that's OK.  All said and done does this cost $30K, $40k, $50K, $100K.  My insurance is working on the approval right now but I have to pay a percentage and I am wondering in abstract what this could cost.  Thanks :)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

halfdone

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
Good luck FG. 

On costs, these are very difficult to pin down with many providers, and vary enormously.  According to national and state databases the average cost of hip procedures in this category is around $60k.  I have seen data for hospitals in the Jacksonville (FL) area where costs varied from an average of $35k in one hospital to over $90k in another - in the same town!  When I priced this with various doctors the estimates varied from over $80k (New York), $65k (Boston) to less than $30k (on a pre-pay basis for an uninsured patient) at one of the very best surgeons who practices in the South.

You may find these useful:
http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/CompareCare/CompareFacilities.aspx
http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/healthencyclopedia/Health%20Illustrated%20Encyclopedia/1/002975.aspx
http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.jsp?Id=0F18C8B814DE997D&Form=MAINSEL&JS=Y&Action=%3E%3ENext%3E%3E&_MAINSEL=Quick%20National%20Statistics

Neild5

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
My incision is 10" long on my left hip, it is even with the seam of my jeans.  18 days after surgery I got the staples out and was told to wait 24 hrs for the staple holes to scab over.  It looks like after the insurance discount it will be $33K with my out of pocket limited to $1000.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

phillwad

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
Florida Guy
I put a bed in the den on my first floor, realy useful for afternoon naps and saves me going up and down teh steps.  Many people talk about using a recliner - I do not have one

As others have mentioned - talk to your doctor about his "approach" - where and long the cut will be.  They seem to each have there own way in and out

My wife and I tried to work out the cost prior, invested about 3 hours but got nowhere, the doctor/hospital will not tell you and the insurance will not either.  My insurance advised prior approval and then not signing anything that said we would be responsible for any additional costs past the preaprroved rates - seemed like a good approach

floridaguy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you.....great helpful information.  I am sure as you have all done this you know I am worrying about everything (or at least my wife tells me I am).  My doctor here in Tampa is very experienced in this surgery and the hospital has a 27 bed unit just for this surgery.  But, as one of you so graciously put it the doctor, hospital and insurance company doesn't really want to tell you anything!!!

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Contact the hospital and your doctor, see if they can't pre-approve your stay, I know the hospital that Dr. Gross works with gave me my charges and they worked up to within around $100 or so dollars.

They know what they charge for everything.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

halfdone

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
Chuck, I think that, in addition to his excellent surgical skills, Dr. Gross is unusually transparent, precise and patient-friendly in his charging practices.  (They are laid out in some detail on his web site. )  Yet another reason to recommend him.  Based on my experience of attempting to get similar information from others, he seems to be an exception rather than the norm.  As others have said, others may know what their charges are, but they often seem very reluctant to tell you!

That's not to say don't try, just that a great deal of patience and persistence may be needed and you may still not be successful.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:30:00 PM by halfdone »

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »
It's funny, but when I was down there their accounting department actually gave me a discount for paying cash right then and I did.

It's a shame other hospitals are not more transparent.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
The cost will depend a lot on your surgeon, the hospital and your insurance.  The way hospital costs work is completely opaque and incomprehensible to the lay person.  Each insurance company has previously worked out allowable costs for different procedures, supplies, etc., etc., with the doctors and facilities in their networks.  The amount the hospital initially claims has nothing to do with the final cost.  For example, I got a claim for around $45,000 for my first hospital stay.  I thinking "Oh my God does it really cost this much?  That doesn't even include the surgeon, anesthesiologist and a lot of other stuff!"  When I got the EOB (explanation of benefits) a few days later that amount had been reduced to less than $20K.  My annual out of pocket maximum is $7K, so my total liability can't be more than that, and after that I don't have to pay any more co-pays the rest of the year.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

phillwad

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
I am 3 weeks post op and starting to get the bills and EOB's.  We also had it explained that each doctor works out a price with each insurance copy, so even within the same hospital system the doctors - all of theme involved in the surgey - could get a different reimbursement.

Oh I wish it more understandable

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal