+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Dr. Gross patients who have returned to running?  (Read 17016 times)

Dayton96

Any Dr. Gross patients who have returned to running?
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
I'm a 56 year-old male, 10 days out from my resurface with Dr. Gross and I'm already starting to think in terms of returning to running.  I would love to get back to 5 mile daily runs and 10 - 15 mile weekend runs with friends.  I've read some of the information posted by Cory Foulk and Rick Rubio on getting back into shape.  Cory Foulk gives some really good advice for runners on getting ready for a run, but he refuses to advice runners who have a uncemented device.  I can understand his concern that there might be some recovery differences between the cemented and uncemented implants.

So, are there any runners out there who have an uncemented device and who have worked themselves back into running, maybe even competition?  If so, what were the nuts and bolts of your recovery?   When Dr. Gross' six month restrictions were lifted, how did you start training and how fast did it go?

Mac   
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

John C

Re: Any Dr. Gross patients who have returned to running?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Hi Mac,
This is not exactly what you are asking, but it might still be encouraging. I had a cementless from Dr. Gross almost three years ago at age 57. I had not done any flat ground running for 12 years because of my bad hip, and I did not get back into serious running because the other hip is not that great on hard surfaces. I certainly can run now, but I limit it to dirt mountain trails, and beaches. However, I also had to give up tennis twenty years ago, and my new hip did allow me to get back into that. Not exactly distance running, but a lot of stop and go sprinting involved, and during the summers I now play about 10 hours a week. I started back into tennis at about one year, and built up to it with a lot of hiking, stairmaster, stair running, stationary bike, and finally forward and lateral hops and lunges with light weights, all of which started getting serious between three and six months; and then trail running and skiing which got serious at 6 months. In my case, my hip continued to get noticeably stronger and more confident for two years, which is the time frame that I learned the soft tissue is still repairing, and replacing scar tissue.
I am sure that you will get lots of serious runners on here that can be more specific about their training regimens, but I just wanted to add my encouragement about getting back into running type sports that we had to give up.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Thanks John.  Tennis is another favorite past time of my family.  I hope you're right about more runners responding though.  When I got the word about my hip last year, it was with a great sense of sadness that I realized I might not run again.

Mac

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
Mac,

I have not started running yet, as I am worried about my other hip. But I do not understand the recovery difference for uncemented. The femoral component is press fit, which means it is wedged on, as is the acetabular component in all devices.

Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:25 AM »
My understanding is that a cemented implant is as strong as it will ever be as soon as the surgery is over.  That is one of the major advantages of using cement.

The uncemented implant, on the other hand, needs time to allow the bone to recover and grow into the femoral cap.  In order for that to happen, the blood flow to the femoral head must have time to return and heal the bone that remains after the femoral head is reamed as part of the resurfacing surgery (not to mention any remaining damage caused by arthritis, etc).  The blood flow returns, the femoral head heals and grows into the implant.  I'm not a rocket scientist, and I don't play one on television, but that is my understanding of the process.   

Dr. Gross insists on six months before any kind of impact sports.  He also has a 50 pound lifting limit for the first six months.  After that, there are no restrictions and a patient can return to running.

Having said that, there are runners out there that I respect, such as Cory Foulk and Rick Rubio, who have expressed concern about how a uncemented device will hold up to hard running.  I have read hippy stories on this site by former patients of Dr. Gross who have returned to running, but unlike Cory Foulk, they haven't posted a step-by-step procedure on how they did that, nor have they posted recently.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'm hoping to learn from the mistakes of those who have gone before me. 

By the way Dan, I was told by Dr. Gross (and other docs) that I would need my other hip resurfaced in two to four years.  I know it doesn't sound too bright to do anything that might cause that to happen sooner rather than later.  On the other hand,  running keeps my weight down, running keeps my body in shape, running makes me happy and gives me extra patience as a parent and a husband.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
My understanding is that a cemented implant is as strong as it will ever be as soon as the surgery is over.  That is one of the major advantages of using cement. The uncemented implant, on the other hand, needs time to allow the bone to recover and grow into the femoral cap.

Yes Mac, but, the acetabular component is uncemented. So it don't matter if the femoral bit is ready to run on, 'cos you have still got to wait for the acetabular bit anyway.

What's more, I am not sure that the cemented component is at its strongest immediately. From what I have read, it appears as if there is significant reduction in bone density of the femur top in the first three months, before it recovers.

By the way Dan, I was told by Dr. Gross (and other docs) that I would need my other hip resurfaced in two to four years.  I know it doesn't sound too bright to do anything that might cause that to happen sooner rather than later.  On the other hand,  running keeps my weight down, running keeps my body in shape, running makes me happy and gives me extra patience as a parent and a husband.

You are lucky? Both Dr. De Smet and my local orthopaedist say that my right hip definitely does not need to be done now, and they cannot say how long. I wish it would degrade! I wish I could get the right side down and over with. So run, enjoy running, and then get your other side done. Think I am going to start running too.

In fact, I am so pleased with the feeling of my left hip, that I am considering booking an entire bodily joint resurfacing operation, or even a complete skeletal replacement.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Dayton96

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
Dan,

I think there is a difference between the stresses on the acetabulum and the stresses on the femoral head and neck, including a difference in the bone strength of both (as the result of illness, etc).

If you decide to get back into running, I'd enjoy hearing about how it goes.

Mac

BrianROC

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
I had bilateral resurfacing by Dr. Gross in Dec 2010.  After a couple months I started running on my elliptical machine and trying to get in a little bit better shape.  Although Dr. Gross cleared me to start running at six months I was kind of scared to hit the street, so I waited until about eights months start running for real.

I started out doing a half mile to see how my hips would react.  It felt a little awkward the first few times I ran.  Just getting the running motion down again took a few runs.  Happily I did not have any pain or discomfort in my hips.  The biggest challenge was my endurance.  Running was much more challenging than my elliptical. 

I'm still getting back into running shape but I am up to two miles about three times a week and happy to be able to run again. 

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
Brian,

Two miles three days a week is great! I'm still riding my bike and walking. Haven't tried any long running yet. It is a little scary but I'm sure we will get used to it.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Dayton96

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
Brian,

What are your running goals?  How much stretching are you doing before your runs?

Mac

BrianROC

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
Brian,

What are your running goals?  How much stretching are you doing before your runs?

Mac

The only stretching I do is my heels.  I had heel spurs in the past and want to try to prevent that from happening again.  My back has been getting sore the next day after running so I am trying to stretch that as well.

Ideally I would love to run a half marathon. I don't know if that is realistic though.  When I was much younger and thinner I wouldn't run much more than five miles or so.  I think my longest  run ever was around six or seven miles.  I guess my plan for now is to take it slow and see how things go.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »
Where could I find Corey's return to running guide?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

jb46

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
This looks like a pretty old thread but I'm very interested in how you did with the running...and if anyone has link to Corey's running guide. Being able to run is whole reason I'm doing this...one more week.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
    At the six month point began dabbling in light running.  A few mis-adventures in over-doing it with either distance, intensity or both.  The discomfort associated with it is completely new and entirely associated with the muscles and soft tissue related to the rotators and flexors.   SLOW AND STEADY AND RECOVERY are my current game plan.
     I have found that running every other day and not pushing the pace too much has allowed for quicker recovery and a better effort the following run.  I concentrate heavily on springing on the forefoot until I get really warmed up and then am able to settle into a more comfortable midfoot stride.  Better and better as each run passes.  I could have spent lots more time working on those muscles in the gym, but the running efforts seem to slowly be taking care of the strength for me.
     Doing 3 miles every other day at a 9 min pace.  Any faster right now seems to tire out the muscles too fast and ruins the rest of the run.  That will hopefully get better.  Finally, my lbs are starting to come off easier and dropping the weight can only help with the rest of my running.
     Now, if I could only make my knees and the rest of my aging body feel as good as my new hip...

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

jb46

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm now at 4.5 months post op...and have to admit I've cheated and done some very light jogging during my walks just to see how it felt. Motion/movement seemed fine, no pain on impact and no additional soreness after completion. Granted, I jogged two blocks max...but it did feel good to get the sense that it was already better than before the surgery.

Trying to hold out for another month and a half...if I make it to 5.5 months before running I'll consider that a success.

Please continue to post your running/recovery experiences...happy healing...jb

John C

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
Hi jb,
Glad to hear that you are doing so well, and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for getting back to running. I can't resist encouraging you to stick to your plan to hold out for another month or so. Many people feel that the femoral neck is most vulnerable at about three months, and you are not too far from that mark. I think it was Dr Gross or Lee that said that these problems can start out as micro fractures that do not show any problems at first.
I remember what it was like to be anxious to get back to our sports, but I also remember how adamant Dr. Gross was that I stick to his six month waiting period.  Hang in there for another six weeks, and then enjoy many years of happy running.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
I'd echo John.

Patience is our biggest challenge, especially when the signs are so clearly good. You don't want to introduce problems that will peak later, so stick to the plan and reap the rewards later.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jb46

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »
Okay, I made it to 5 months 3 weeks and a day. Ran about 2 to 2.5 miles this past Friday, I will be six months post op on the 25th.
No pain during run, tried to take it easy on downhills..didn't want that extra pounding coming down full force. No real pain that day, little more sore than normal the next day, fine now on day three. Feel soreness is probably muscular due to an activity level I haven't seen in years.

I'm still interested in the running protocol/instructs if anyone has them.
Good luck on your running. I'm going to watch my wife and friends run the Savannah half in a couple of weeks and I know that will get me motivated to push thru, though I will try hard not to join them in the race...happy healing...jb

IslandCatt

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Okay, I made it to 5 months 3 weeks and a day. Ran about 2 to 2.5 miles this past Friday, I will be six months post op on the 25th.
No pain during run, tried to take it easy on downhills..didn't want that extra pounding coming down full force. No real pain that day, little more sore than normal the next day, fine now on day three. Feel soreness is probably muscular due to an activity level I haven't seen in years.

I'm still interested in the running protocol/instructs if anyone has them.
Good luck on your running. I'm going to watch my wife and friends run the Savannah half in a couple of weeks and I know that will get me motivated to push thru, though I will try hard not to join them in the race...happy healing...jb

I was a running coach for about 25 years. During that time, I coached many runners who were coming back from injuries or various surgeries after they had clearance to return to running.

My basic rules were:
  • No running more than 10 minutes max the first time out (5 minutes max after serious trauma or surgery ).
  • The pace should be barely faster than a walk.
  • Stop if any pain is felt. Never run through pain.
  • If a run is stopped because of pain, on the next run go to the point before pain was felt and stop there.
  • If a run causes residual pain afterward, decrease the distance by 10% next time.
  • No running 2 days in a row.
  • No running until any residual pain from the previous run is completely gone.
  • Increase each run distance or time by 10% max (for a 10 minute run, this would be 1 minute longer), assuming there is no residual discomfort.
  • Don't increase speed until the goal distance is achieved.
  • Never increase both speed and distance at the same time.
  • Follow the same protocol from above when starting to increase speed.

I don't think I ever had a single runner that followed this protocol who had problems with their return to running.

I did, however, have many runners who were impatient with this conservative approach and violated the guidelines who had various issues from minor temporary setbacks all the way to never being able to run again.

When getting back into running after injury or surgery, my belief is that you can never be too conservative, but you can definitely be too aggressive.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:12:26 PM by IslandCatt »
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat