+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 2584 times)

JohnnyO

Hello All
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »
I've been racing and cycling in the Seattle area for over 20 years but arthritis in my right hip has temporarily sidelined me from my most passionate activity. I am one week post op surgery (Dr. Pritchett) and everything is going very well. My swelling is coming down and I'm following the PT exercises religiously, I'm also mixing in a short 15-20 minutes walks on the tread mill. I hope to be able to be on the stationary bicycle in 3 weeks and out on the road in 4-5 weeks but as I've read in many other posts I need to be mindful of not over doing it in the beginning.

Regards,
John

jjmclain

Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Beware of cycling on the road too soon...you don't want to risk a fall before you are healed.

JohnnyO

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
I will be very cautious and careful!

Thanks!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Congrats! and welcome to hippydom. Like jjmclain says, take it easy, you'll be surprised how much you improve if you just step aside and let your body do its thing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

einreb

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
I hope to be able to be on the stationary bicycle in 3 weeks and out on the road in 4-5 weeks but as I've read in many other posts I need to be mindful of not over doing it in the beginning.

I think the only real issue with the stationary bike is when you can go past 90 degrees. 

I was told to stay off the road bike until 6 months due to the risk of fracture if I fall.  I'm not sure if I will wait the full time, but I will really limit what type of biking I do.  No more crits... :(
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat