+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How hard should I exercise before my operation in June?  (Read 2328 times)

upthehill

How hard should I exercise before my operation in June?
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
Hello one and all,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how much exercise to do each day. My operation is scheduled for 7th June, I'm a 39 year old male quite healthy apart from my right hip.

I am still able to ride an exercise bike, limp the dog, press ups and sit ups. I don't know how much leg work to do-is there any point?

I am trying to work on my core strength and upper body strength as I have used crutches before after an unrelated rugby union injury.

I have a physical job at a busy international airport and was also wondering what a realistic time scale was for returning to work?

Best Regards

Ian

hipnhop

Re: How hard should I exercise before my operation in June?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »
I don't think there are any PRE -OP restrictions. You want to be in the best shape possible before the surgery. I know I swam and used the stationary bike the day before the surgery. As for Post-Op there are so many different stories. I would say speak to your doc and listen to your body. I am 3 weeks post op and realize I am not ready for any type of training. I am going to wait till my six week Follow-up before beginning anything other than PT.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
I know that the core exercises I did with PT the first time helped the second. Those are actually described in the website (Dr. Gros's exercises?), but they included leg lifts (which I did with weights) in all directions, and a series of lower abdomen exercises culminating with my personal favorite: the dead bug; if you haven't experienced 30 reps of this, you haven't lived. They are described (at least partially) here: Fun exercises  :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:15:24 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Ernie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
I kept doing leg extensions and leg curls and lifting weights with my upper body right up to the day before surgery.  And I think it has helped tremendously with the recovery.  Unfortunately I was having a hard time even walking the last month or so (a mile would be about it!) so my cardio slipped.  I wish I'd done leg lifts.  That is the movement I'm struggling the most with with post surgery.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

Mi Corazon

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
Core strength is the key IMHO.  Do Pilates, Yoga and lots of stomach work.  I don't know about the legs though, because they end up cutting through the muscles or at least pulling strands apart.  In some ways, the bigger they are, the harder the entry.

But, for me, moving around the bed with a dead leg required all kinds of core strength, stomach, arms, shoulders. 

pasinvabch

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
I exercised "normally" until 3 days before, I work in a gym so I taught classes, even jump rope(kind of used the riother leg more, and limped off class , bur I did it anyway) I lifted a lot upper body and did core exerc,as much as I could. elliptical training and a little spin (even if it hurt a little), no heavy squat or leg presses(That really hurt).
Im also having trouble with the leg lifts supine, have not able to do one . My pt told me to start working on them standing instead.
I think you should do what you are used to with in reason. I m happy I lifted for all these years , I have to rely on upper body strength to walk with that  >:(walker. I can only put 25% weight on left side.
Piedad

AlanN

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
Hi Ian,
A good mate of mine is a physiotherapist and he basically told me that the better condition I was in prior to the operation the better/easier my recovery would be.
My surgeon backed this up.

I've always trained hard and kept myself in good shape so I took his advice and did loads of core work and lower limb work too.

I'm 11weeks post-op now and walk 4-5 miles 3 times a week, and in the gym I do 20 mins cross-trainer, 20 mins static bike, 10 mins stair climber and a 20 min weight workout 3 times a week too.
I am, to say the least,  chuffed with this progress and put it down mainly to the condition I was in pre-op.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:39:40 PM by AlanN »
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Krunch

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »
Hey Ian,
All of the replies sound pretty good in my opinion.  Exercising and doing what you normally do is good for your body and spirit.  Pre-op I tried to keep up my regular routine, but I couldn't do it. I've lifted since high school and competed for 30 years and just the thought of the operation and post-op down time fired me up.  I hit it hard, had some great work outs, and went into surgery still a little sore, but very confident and feeling ready.  Listen to your Doc and everyone else. Then listen to yourself and make the right decision for you.   Train hard, train smart. 

Best of luck in June, you'll do fantastic!
Craig
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

upthehill

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:58:19 AM »
Thanks for all the great reply's, I think you've answered my question and settled my mind.
Starting to implement a fitness program for the next seven weeks, and watching what I eat and drink so I can be in the possible shape for my op.
Cheers

Ian

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
Ian

I thought of the operation like a "big race", so I trained hard, as others said do core work like crazy, the weekend before I bike hard in the snow on Friday, cross country skied Sat and Sunday. Then "tappered off" for 5 days with stretching and core work upto the Friday for my operation (3/18). 

I did not want to pull something right before the op and the "base" work I had done over the winter had kept me in good shape and ready for the op.

Today, 3 1/2 weeks post op, I had a good walk out to the coffee shop - about 3 miles there and back using my two crutches (following doctors orders) - which took an hour of walking time.  I will be on crutches for 6 weeks - others seem to be released from the crutches earlier - I now think that might have something to do with the surgical approach and hence the recovery time but is also doctor specific

Advise I got before the op was to spend time doing the post op exercises prior - this gets the hips, legs etc used to the movement.  I followed that for the last couple of weeks - not sure if it helped but it did make sense.

Good luck, train hard - Phill

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:25 AM »
Do as much as you can to strengthen what you have!  Don't forget the importance on core strength, posture and even being practiced with whatever post-op exercises you are able to do.  I'm still weak now (5 days post op bilat) and I'm starting to see pre op excercise pay off a little bit already.  Am sure I'll see heaps more in the days to come.
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Ernie

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
This is all great advice, particularly about keeping the core strong.  This will especially help in the first few days after surgery.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

FlbrkMike

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »
Do as much as you can to strengthen what you have!  Don't forget the importance on core strength, posture and even being practiced with whatever post-op exercises you are able to do.  I'm still weak now (5 days post op bilat) and I'm starting to see pre op excercise pay off a little bit already.  Am sure I'll see heaps more in the days to come.

Lori, you make a very good point.  I had bilateral BHRs 4 weeks apart.  After the first week I started doing all of the post op exercises assigned to me for the left leg with the right one as well.  This included the "lying down" exercises like heel slides, abductor slides, leg lifts, etc. and standing up exercises like standing leg lifts, knee lifts, abductors and stretches.  I was also doing several types of squats and some other things during the last week.  I believe that this has all been of great help in making my RBHR recover more quickly.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:48:10 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz